who knows what a tinwhistle is

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JamesF
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JamesF »

I'm a newbie at this but I take my Clarke whistle everywhere I go. I've played in senior homes ("play that outside, it's driving me nuts!"), outside Lady Footlocker and the frozen foods section of Walmart :D
I've never met anyone who knows what a tinwhistle is. It's discouraging. The other day I was talking to my cousin's partner about how I want to see a tinwhistle player someday and he said "are there people who play that?"
Um, what's that supposed to mean?
My only reply was "like yeah. somewhere in ireland they're tooting."
And for my speech class I had to play the 'Titanic' intro to "build credibility". Dang!
I need a support group. :sniffle:
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

screw the ignorants, man, blow your whistle!!!!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Well, you could learn "Captain Picard's Air" and hang out in the Hilton. You never know, the Star Trek Experience might pay you commission if one of the trekkies actually buys the Ressikan Flute in there :)

I'm desperately trying to remember the name of the big Irish pub in Vegas, but it's been a few years since I lived in Vegas and I wasn't there for very long (just 6 months). It had an "Irish" name too I think... summink like "Murphy's Irish Pub". As I recall, it was on the main route out towards Henderson. Might be worth a visit?

And I'm with the crazy Swiss-dood... blow your whistle, and when Lunasa finally play in Vegas, well, smug-mode on!

:D
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar

Post by amar »

i love lunasa, they play lotsa stuff with lowFs. Happy, those that own a lowF to play along.. :D
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

amar wrote:i love lunasa, they play lotsa stuff with lowFs. Happy, those that own a lowF to play along.. :D
Sometimes, Amar, I hate you! I've only just bought the Goldie low D and have just ordered an F flute! My monthly pennies just won't stretch to the effin F whistle as well and I'm trying to keep my Whoa at bay!! Must....resist...must....resist! :D

Mind you, back on topic, I am surprised that Lunasa haven't played somewhere like the Hard Rock in Vegas (I used to live 5 minutes walk from there!). With all the international traffic in and out of the place, I reckon they'd have a ball...
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar

Post by amar »

GaryKelly wrote:
amar wrote:i love lunasa, they play lotsa stuff with lowFs. Happy, those that own a lowF to play along.. :D
Sometimes, Amar, I hate you! I've only just bought the Goldie low D and have just ordered an F flute! My monthly pennies just won't stretch to the effin F whistle as well and I'm trying to keep my Whoa at bay!! Must....resist...must....resist! :D

Mind you, back on topic, I am surprised that Lunasa haven't played somewhere like the Hard Rock in Vegas (I used to live 5 minutes walk from there!). With all the international traffic in and out of the place, I reckon they'd have a ball...
tony dixon sells a sweet cheap lowF. :D
Kuranes

Post by Kuranes »

If it makes you feel anybetter, when I showed off my Alba Low D at work (it was dropped off here), the only comments were along the lines of -- "Oh, it's a big Recorder".

:moreevil: :roll: :moreevil: :roll: :moreevil: :roll: :moreevil: :roll:
For when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts; and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

A form of perforated end-blown fipple flute having six fingering holes arranged in a manner like older fifes, and played diatonically. Also called pennywhistle, probably due to the low relative cost of mass-produced instruments, but, possibly, as some have suggested, so named for street musicians who played for pennies.
Reasonable person
Walden
Paul

Post by Paul »

JamesF wrote:I've never met anyone who knows what a tinwhistle is. It's discouraging. The other day I was talking to my cousin's partner about how I want to see a tinwhistle player someday and he said "are there people who play that?"
:lol: :lol: I know what you mean, James. We're right here with ya, buddy! If you think that's bad, you should try explaining what Uilleann Pipes are to people. :o :lol:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

You get used to it. My whistles almost always get referred to as "flutes," except for the Sweetheart Pro, which gets called "that cute little recorder." They don't mind.

What used to get me were the people who assumed that, because it only has six holes and doesn't LOOK fancy or complicated, it must be so easy to play that anyone could pick one up and be playing like Joanie Madden in a matter of minutes. I always enjoy handing one of mine to someone like that and seeing the look on his or her face when nothing but squeeks and squawks comes out!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
pizak

So James.... where do I go for Irish Music when i'm in Vegas

Post by pizak »

James

I'll be in Vegas next month.... are there any sessions? Irish pubs, etc I should visit?

Paul
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I mostly play a Clarke original. I take the opportunity to tell people a bit about the history, how my whistle is based on the original design from 1843, how they were popular in 19th century England and sold for an English penny (about five cents U. S. at the time).

It is rare indeed that I meet someone who knows what a whistle is. Most call it a flute or a recorder. Titanic, Lord of the Rings, Riverdance are all popular forms that have whistle music.

What I have a difficult time explaining is why whistle players and recorder players are sort of like the baseball NY Yankees and Boston Red Sox.

Enjoy your music.
+ Bill
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Two things:

First: Redwolf: be careful, that could easily backfire when someones picks it up and a minute later has picked out a simple tune....

Second: I actually had someone argue with me that the instrument on Titanic wasn't a tinwhistle at all, but was really a piccolo.
(The conversation:
"Yeah, it's a tinwhistle, and it was played in Titanic."
"Actually, my music teacher said that it was a piccolo that was used."
"Oh, I could see how the sounds could be confused, but it was definitely a whistle"
**Disbelieving Stare -- thinks to self: "My teacher has degree in music, so of course they know the truth you ignorant toy-blower" -- walks away**)
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Paul wrote:
JamesF wrote:I've never met anyone who knows what a tinwhistle is. It's discouraging. The other day I was talking to my cousin's partner about how I want to see a tinwhistle player someday and he said "are there people who play that?"
:lol: :lol: I know what you mean, James. We're right here with ya, buddy! If you think that's bad, you should try explaining what Uilleann Pipes are to people. :o :lol:
You get no sympathy here.

I'd love to have the problem of folks not knowing what my Uilleann pipes were(if I had Uilleann pipes). :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
talasiga

Re: who knows what a tinwhistle is

Post by talasiga »

JamesF wrote:.......

My only reply was "like yeah. somewhere in ireland they're tooting."
I reckon, there are more tin whistlers in Bombay (Mumbai) than in 20 Irelands put together.
:party:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit