"Baggy Pants Bill"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mjacob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"Baggy Pants Bill"

Post by mjacob »

Greetings Y'all. I came across this article, thought it might make for an interesting discussion.

DALLAS - Memo to Britney Spears: Make sure to forget those low-rise jeans next time you fly home to Louisiana.
And Ludacris, why don’t you pull up your pants and cinch them with a belt before you take the stage in Baton Rouge.

Otherwise, you might both get a ticket.

That’s what the Louisiana House Criminal Justice Committee approved last week. The new proposed bill would crack down on anyone who wears low-slinging, pants-sagging, belly-baring, underwear-peeking pants. It faces the full State House sometime within the next two months.

"Baggy Pants Bill"

House Bill 1626, also known as the “Baggy Pants Bill” states: “It shall be unlawful for any person to appear in public wearing his pants below his waist and thereby exposing his skin or intimate clothing.”

State Representative Derrick Shepherd’s bill would make any violator subject to three eight-hour days of community service and up to a fine of $175.

That means the local teens on the basketball court are going to have to keep their pants up, too.

Shepherd told the New Orleans Times-Picayune, "There's a way to shoot hoops professionally. You don't have to shoot hoops with your pants below your waist."

He thinks the waistline location might even improve their behavior.

"Hopefully, if we pull up their pants," he said, "we can lift their minds while we're at it."

Local councilman Glenn Green said, “It’s getting to the point where these young men and women are just getting offensive with their underwear showing, the cracks between their buttocks showing…their g-strings showing. It’s hard to legislate morality; you can’t really do that. It just comes to a point of plain old bad taste and it’s just gotta stop.”

Executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Louisiana chapter, Joe Cook, does not think the bill will likely pass the full House floor. He said the Supreme Court doesn’t usually prohibit obscene behavior under the First Amendment.

“It infringes on young people’s freedom of expression and their privacy rights. The zone of privacy they have and the right to be left alone,” Cook said.

So, what about your local plumber?

"What about a woman who is wearing a bathing suit under her garment or she has something like a sarong wrapped around her and it's below her waist?" Cook said. "I can think of a lot of workers, plumbers, who are working and expose their buttocks and the beginning of the crack of their anus."

The Times-Picayune notes that this is the fourth effort in five years to legislate jeans-wearing etiquette state-wide in Louisiana.

$500 penalty in one small town
But, one small town has been mandating it locally for years.

In the town of Opelousas, wearing saggy pants is considered a misdemeanor and carries a maximum penalty of a $500 fine and up to 6 months in prison.

Captain Ronnie Trahan with the Opelousas Police Department said, “The problem that we’re having is not with individuals exposing their underwear. We had a problem with individuals exposing more than their underwear.”

And down the bayou in the town of Westwego, a city councilman in 2002 attempted to bar low-riding jeans from public buildings. (The city attorney warned the city would interfere with freedom of speech and would not meet federal standards, so the councilman later ditched the proposal.)

As for Britney and Ludacris, they may be safe to hang in Louisiana for a few more days. The full Louisiana State House hasn’t passed the bill yet. They plan to take it up sometime before the end of session on June 21.

Bethany Thomas is the NBC News Dallas Bureau coordinator.
Maybe next, we can mandate that women wear dresses than cover at least past the ankles? Hmm. What direction are we moving in?
Maybe I'm just too liberal?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

See what happens when you tell a politician to "Do Something!!" I hate the jail look too but that's over the top. I keep wondering how many broken bones have resulted from these Klowns trippin on their own cuffs as they walk around. It's sorta like surreal ballet to watch the young schoolkids get on the bus, hold their backpacks, get out busfare and climb the steps while tryna keep their Dickies up....

Yoyoyoydawg....'sallgoodman...yo.yo.yo.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Yet another gaggle of legislative geese with more time on their hands than common sense in their skulls.

The first defense attorney to try and fight this turkey will get it ruled as unconstitutionally vague and unenforceable.

"But officer, I have a really low waistline"

Or, better yet, I guess you could also comply by wearing your short pants with the waist band up around the neck....

Ever hear the story of what happened when European protestant missionaries got to Tahiti? Seems that the natives of both sexes favored a sort of skirt as their only clothing. Shocked bible-thumpers got the authorities to pass a rule that native women had to go about with their breasts covered in the presence of Europeans.

I imagine the preachers were even more shocked when the natives complied by lifting their skirts to cover their breasts when approaching christian missionaries.
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

What's the definition of waist? I've heard everything from the top of the hip bones, to two inches above the navel.

Is there nothing more important going on in Louisiana?
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I don't know. I can see where they're coming from. Some of these pants ride so low, there's really no point in having them there at all. And frankly, I'm just not all that interested in seeing other peoples underwear or butt cracks, y'know? As the one fellow said, it's not a matter of morality, but of good taste.

Heck, if the town of Carmel can legally prevent an ice cream store from selling cones because the PTB find spilled ice cream on the street aesthetically displeasing (and they actually did that...it was illegal to sell or eat ice cream cones in downtown Carmel for several years), why can't Louisiana say "keep your undies covered"? Works for me.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"Baggy Pants Bill"...I thought it was something on the order of Spongebob Squarepants. Seriously. :lol:

Sagger fashion will go the way of all things. They'll get tired of looking like halfwits and walking silly.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Probably giving attention to it will cause more rebellious folks to practice it.

However, there is good reason to make a law of it. In Cincinnati, a youth with a huge criminal record was shot a couple years ago by the police because they thought he was reaching for a gun and he was actually trying to pull up his pants. (Yes, it could only happen in Cincinnati)

The result of him being shot created a massive riot in the city, buildings burt, cars were beat up. People were pulled out of vehicals and beaten.

You're right about the waistline definitiion, I wonder how many lawyers that will take to define. I could only imagine.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Wimen gets to wear pants in Lousiana? Blasphemy! I am outraged! I don't care if they are superb pants! I don't care if they are the best!
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
anticDevices

Post by anticDevices »

antstastegood wrote:Is there nothing more important going on in Louisiana?
Goodness! In the government? Heaven forbid!

Actually the truly hilarious thing is that even if this ridiculous measure passes, it won't change a damned thing for anyone. I mean, what's one more unenforceable nusance law? May favorite is the law down here making it illegal to engage in licentious or sexualy explicit activity in public - or viewable by the public - IF the purpose of said activity is to titilate the public.

Huh?

The frightening thing is that it actually makes sense in context, it's just the context is ridiculous. Laissez bon temps roulez, y'all.

-Patrick
"Mensch werden ist eine Kunst" - Novalis
to become a human being is art
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

In a column last winter, Dave Barry predicted that pretty soon teenagers will start dragging their pants behind them.

I think Baggy Pants Bill would make a good title for a reel.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

See I opened this Post to see if there was something About Serpent getting caught in one of his Machines :p I would say any Cop that tried to write me a ticket for wearing low Slung Jeans would find himself in Court right quik. And uh, no I don't "kick the droop" as it was called in 1995 when it was actually "in style."
Cy
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Ah, tell them all in Louisianna that they can find freedom in the province of Ontario, Canada, were a women has the right to bare breasts in public, anywhere she chooses! :D :o

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

"The droop" came a little later in Cincinnati. Actually everything comes a little later in Cincinnati.

"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in
Cincinnati because it's always twenty years behind the times.".... Mark Twain
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Sourdoh

Post by Sourdoh »

I'm waiting for the signs at the border:

Entering Louisiana.
Low rise trousers not permitted and must be removed before crossing border.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

vomitbunny wrote:Wimen gets to wear pants in Lousiana? Blasphemy! I am outraged! I don't care if they are superb pants! I don't care if they are the best!
Heck, even back in the late '50s, girls could wear pants to school on Fridays in Anahuac, Texas. Sundresses were forbidden, though.

For some reason, this reminds me of 1952, when the Houston police were grabbing kids with ducktails (think early Elvis) off the streets and shaving their heads. By about 1958, some Houston gang members were wearing their pleated trousers up at about solar plexus height--held up by short, red suspenders.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe