Sindt or Burke?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

Wombat wrote: My Burke C is probably my favourite C whistle,.
Me too FWIW

waitingame
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Sindt or Burke?

Post by Zubivka »

joey_schu wrote:I'm looking for a whistle that's got a clean round tone (not too much chiff) and has minimal easy air requirements.
I've sampled a few Bb whistles, from the Generations to Sindt, via Abell and some more. However, I regret I never had a mezzo or alto Copeland.

Asking for a round tone with less chiff, go Burke, not Sindt. This, eventhough the Sindt is the one with least air requirement.

Now, I have an old, used, Burke Bb "composite" and it's the best I ever had. Its only flaw to me is it weighs too little, but I manage.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

You're looking for a clear, round tone. Which whistle fits you better may depend on whether you prefer clear or round. In the range you're looking, my experience is that the Sindt has a clearer tone. The Sindt A is the purest sounding whistle I've played this side of a Rose. The Burke has a fuller, rounder tone, though, while still quite clear. The Sindt really didn't do much for me, although there are quite a few out there who swear by Jon's A and Bflat whistles. The Burke B (mine is composite) is a fantastic whistle with an incredibly full, warm tone. The A AlPros I've played are also very full and pure with just a touch of sweetness. They can also be pushed harder toward the bottom of the lower octave than the Sindts I've owned.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

PhilO wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:The Sindt is the better whistle. You are looking at an 8 months wait. Get on the waiting list now, if you don't like it you can sell it without a loss. John Sindt's lowest whistle is an A.
Wow, Bloomie, isn't that a bit out of character for you? "This brand whistle is better than that one" with no qualifications, no reference to keys, purposes or preferences of the buyer?

For my money, both the Sindt and Burke black tip soprano D and C whistles are among the best out there (although the Sindt D is too thin for my physical comfort whilst playing), but the Sindt bflat and A did not impress me at all. I was equally unimpressed with a Burke Al-pro low G; the latter three were just, well, boring. Haven't tried the Burke Bflat or A.

Regards,

Philo
Hehehe. I was waiting for someone to call me on it. You're right, of course, but I wasn't in a reasonable mood. :) And anyway, people always look at me like I'm some sort of skin disease for saying that I find the Burkes unexciting and boring (no, I haven't tried all of them). Also, someone recently mentioned to me that no on the chiffboard seems to take issue with Mike Burke's pricing. We know the Burkes are mashined in a shop, not hand made, yet they are more expensive than Sindts (which are hand made by John Sindt), and not really much cheaper than Overtons (but for the exchange rate at the moment), which are also entirely hand made. I kinda agree. So, part of me feels that Burke can charge whatever he can get away with, and part of won't buy one because they're overpriced (and a bit boring).
/Bloomfield
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Bloomfield wrote:We know the Burkes are mashined in a shop, not hand made, yet they are more expensive than Sindts (which are hand made by John Sindt).
I wouldn't consider Sindts to be any more or less 'hand made' than Burkes.
Both makers machine the parts and then assemble them by hand... Burkes are just a more complicated in design, and thus require more machining than Sindts.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

No one's getting rich off of making whistles, I'd bet. so if Mike can get a little more for something because it's in demand, that's free enterprise.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

every burke whistle is precision machined, hand voiced and tuned.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ght=#76021

and there are far more expensive whistle like lon dubh, abell,... but that doens't realy bother me,
i love the sound of my burkes best :)

anyway, a whistle is still cheap compared to other instruments.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Bloomie, you really do need to get yer mitts on one of these Burke black tips...maybe next time I see ya... :)

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Go for a Burke,joey.
That's your whistle. :wink:

It would be a nice idea to avoid buying the whistle you are destined to sell.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

PhilO wrote:Bloomie, you really do need to get yer mitts on one of these Burke black tips...maybe next time I see ya... :)

PhilO
He can try mine at the Northeast Chiffy gathering...I don't play it much at all, as I can't seem to make it fit my hand. My right hand middle finger just won't cover the hole properly without straining, and I have not had this particular problem with any other whistle I've played. As a result, the tone is muddy and imprecise in my hands. I'm sure this whistle will be for sale at some point, after I have someone else play it to see if it's me or the whistle. If it's the whistle, I'll drop Mike a line.

Robin