2nd West Coast Chiff Gathering: JUNE 5

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Uilleann pipes is ok, though, right?
Gee, I didn't ask. Just kidding. U-pipes is great. My mom didn't really say that about the highland pipes, but the rule still stands. (City ordinance or something.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

No changing it now--and no backing out for me. My older son is coming back two days early from a visit to his brother in Dallas, just to take over his Mom's care so that I can go.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Wow, Mike, that is REALLY neat. Good on him. It appears you have a very strong family. sniff :cry: sniff That is just so beautiful.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

NorCalMusician wrote:Wow, Mike, that is REALLY neat. Good on him. It appears you have a very strong family.
We Chinese are like that, you know. :P
sniff :cry: sniff That is just so beautiful.
Careful. Don't let those salty tears :cry: drip on your wooden whistle.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Sorry Tony for not being more active... life's crazy and there have been a few hiccups. Anyways, I'm down for handling the bbq main course providing I don't have to foot the entire bill but if you guys want to bring your own stuff that's cool as well. Anyways, me and Karina will carpool so I'd imagine we'd be there by mid afternoon or so. I'll bring my flute and gen as always, prolly won't do the strudel seeing as how it will be summer but I'll figure out another tasty treat. Hope to see all of my old buddies there!

Hey blackhawk, it's been a while, you comin to this thing?

Limuhead, where the hell are you?

Vaporlock? there's still a few seats open for the carride down.

Anybody hear f rom any of the other silent members from the last getogether? Switchfoot and KCJiang to name a few?
No I'm not returning...
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Switchfoot is working out in the midwest someplace, last I heard. I do not know if he will be back in time for this though.

I harvested a couple of email addresses and will send some sort of nice invite to them.

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Thanks for the "Heads up," Norcal!

I have a gig on June 5th up in Santa Rosa that goes 'til 5 p.m., so I'll be able to make it some time after that. (Maybe around 6:30-7:00?)

I'll plan on bringing my concertina and whistles. I'll have my guitar with me but don't plan on playing it.

I started learning fiddle around St. Patrick's day and have been spending a lot of time scratching out tunes, and sawing scales. I still really suck at it, but I'm having a blast..........maybe I'll bring it to torture you guys with. Me and Kar can give you a beginning fiddler's duet of Twinkle, twinkle or Bile Them Cabbage Down. :D How 'bout it Kar?

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

LimuHead wrote: I started learning fiddle around St. Patrick's day and have been spending a lot of time scratching out tunes, and sawing scales. I still really suck at it, but I'm having a blast..........maybe I'll bring it to torture you guys with.
Cool...I'll bring my fiddle, too, then, along with the pipes and the whistle. As far as food, I'll bring stuff for myself to BBQ, but I'm a bad cook so I might also bring drinks or something I don't have to cook.

It turns out I got laid off from my temp job (not really unhappy about it! :P ) so I won't be working that day, after all. I can swing by in the afternnon, then.

Justine
Kar

Post by Kar »

PLAY my fiddle for others? Well, I can certainly TRY! However, I've only been playing exactly one month....two by the time of the gathering, though. Scratching & sawing definitly describes the sound I am getting.

Still, maybe Feadogin can carry whatever tune and Aldon & I can jump in when we can. Sure, I'll work up Twinkle Twinkle but I can also do an OK Ode to Joy (in G, of course), if anyone wants to hear that!

I could also bring my guitar, which I can sort of accompany whistles with if I know what chords. Not so good at improvising. Yet. Any tunes we know we'll probably play so I can get prepared?

And of course, I'll bring the blues whistle for everyone to play around with again!

OK, I suppose I'm comitted now. There's a 89% chance I'll be there, and it'll probably be evening (after 6:00pm or 7:00pm). Yay!
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

yea

Post by stiofan »

I'll mark my calendar for June 5 - will most likely be there sometime after 7 or so. I'll probably bring something to cook that was formerly a swimming organism, and maybe a dessert (nonswimming). It will be good to see you guys again and play some tunes together. Maybe we could post a few that we could all play together? I've been working on some tunes by Lunasa (some traditional, some of their own) if anyone feels like playing some of them, in addition to the more traditional repertoire. Looking forward to this, and thanx again to Tony & Mum Higgins!

:party:
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

Wow, looks like most people will be coming a bit later in the day. Probably a good idea to fire up the barbee about 5 or 5:30. Will be a little late for me, I am about 3 hours away :cry: , but Karina and Murph are coming farther so I will not complain.......... too much anyway :moreevil: .

Kar

Post by Kar »

Jigs and reels escape me on the whistle, but I CAN play Down by the Sally Gardens, so let's at least do that one. And anyone know The Ashgrove? That's a good tune.
Karina

Post by Karina »

Since it has been pinned down to June 5th, looks like I will be going! I look forward to seeing you all! I'll probably be bringing a fiddle and some whistles, though I know hardly any tunes. I should be able to keep up with what I do know, though. As for bringing something, I will have to ponder that for a bit, I will let everyone know when I figure something out. Suggestions are most welcome!

And other fiddlers are coming, woohoo! I won't feel so lonely now! That's great, I look forward to it already!
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

IT all sounds like so much fun! Where is the nearest airport? (Elf dreaming here...)

Have a great time all!

S.J.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Oakland, Sandy, and Jet Blue flies there!! Check it out, tix may be cheaper than you think. You can stay here at the Weekender's Lair, one block from Tony's Mom's house should you decide to come.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?