Best Microphone to use with Audacity

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Robert G
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Best Microphone to use with Audacity

Post by Robert G »

Hello all,

You folks sometimes make mention of using computer redcording progams (Audacity, etc.) so I thought this would be a good place to ask questions about microphones. Is there a review or discussion somewhere that I could be pointed to as far as selecting the right micophone? Does anyone have a recomendation for a good reasonably priced microphone? Are stock computer microphones good enough? Should I get a stereo microphone? What would be the best-priced best-micophone available?

Thanks in advance for the help.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Sony has good not-too-expensive stereo microphones. Check out the microphone section in http://www.minidisco.com. These often show up on eBay for good prices.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

The microphone is only one consideration. The sound card, and the noise of the computer, both hard drive noise and RF interference can cause problems. Some people have had reasonably good results with inexpensive mics such as Radio Shack mics or karaoke mics. When I was researching this topic, several suggested an electret clip on mic for easy positioning (about $25 from Radio Shack).

My computer has integrated audio (no separate sound card) and I have not been able to get a clean recording with a variety of inexpensive mics. In my situation I believe it is the sound card or RF inteference. Instead of buying a new sound card or a new computer, I decided to get a separate recording device (Sony voice recorder). If you are set on recording on the computer, my suggestion is to buy a mic from a place where you can return or exchange easily if the result is not what you hope for, especially if you are spending $50 or more on a mic.
+ Bill
Last edited by BillChin on Wed May 12, 2004 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert G

Post by Robert G »

Are minidisc microphones compatible with a computer?
Kuranes

Post by Kuranes »

Robert G wrote:Are minidisc microphones compatible with a computer?
Yes. The microphones that Sony makes work fine. I have an ECM MS-907 (which was in the minidisc section at the Sony store) and it works fine on a laptop.
For when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts; and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Robert G wrote:Are minidisc microphones compatible with a computer?
The microphones sold to use with minidisc recorders usually have a 1/8" stereo plug. Most PeeCees have the same. Some require batteries and some take their power from the recording device, using the same plug. This is a standard that has been around for many years, and most if not all computer sound cards should support it.

Some Macs require a microphone that connects through an USB port.

Some PCs don't have microphone input, only "line" input, which requires something with more "oomph" to it.

A cursory check of your computer's connections and/or manual should tell you what you heed.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hi Robert -

I had written out a reply to you, but my browser crashed and ate it *scowls* But fortunately Glauber and Kuranes covered most of what I had said.

Where in Utah are you? If you're near me (Salt Lake) and you're trying to get computer-recording working, I'd be happy to offer assistance. Could bring over my Sony mic (same one as Kuranes, cost $75 in late 2001) and see if it works for you.

--Ava
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I have the ECM MS-907 mic also. I record into a minidisc and am extremely satisfied with the sound quality. I'm betting the Radio Shack mic will work fine with one as well. If they don't produce good sound quality going into your sound card, I'd blame the sound card or the noise of your computer. Using a portable recording device, you can move around and experiment with different sound environments. I've found that keeping the Sony mic about 3-4 feet away from the whistle gives the best sound. Otherwise, the high notes overwhelm and clip out. Ronaldo Reyburn suggested this to me and, boy, it worked.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Robert G

Post by Robert G »

Thanks for the information everyone.