tinwhistler's day jobs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ScottStewart
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ScottStewart »

CDon, actually, right now I've got three Yamaha's, two of them are nicer ones, one is of sentimental value, and an acoustic bass guitar. Used have a PRS, a Les Paul, a BC Rich, but got completely away from electrics, except for acoustic electrics. But, honestly I can't remember all the guitars I've owned and sold, I think I had around eight to ten at one time. That was years ago. I've never owned a Martin, but that's because two of my Yamahas beat any Martin I've seen for sound and playability. Not to mention price. Almost bought one before I bought my main guitar for about $400 less.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
JMcCYoung

Post by JMcCYoung »

I'm a stay-at-home homeschooling father, with three wonderful children, 19, 15, and 13 (boy, girl, girl) and a wonderful wife, Ann (almost our 21st anniversary). The girls and my wife are quite musical and I'm something of a latecomer to it all. I started whistling a little over two years ago at the encouragement of my wife, who plays piano, piano and button accordions, and a bit of hammered dulcimer; she's bought me almost all my whistles, including my just-arrived Sindt A/Bb set.

We helped start a learning session in our area about a year-and-a-half ago and I'm the abc wizard for our tunes (not my self-description); that's the main place we play our Irish instruments. Ann also plays piano at our church regularly, and piano accordion to accompany our monthly Taize prayer services. I play whistle on occasion at church when the music director asks me. I've taken to looking at the music - I'm in one of the choirs - and thinking, "Hey, that's in D! I could have played this!" However, our choir is small and I think she values my voice more than my whistling. Some day I'll be brave enough to try out whistling at Taize services.

I worked mostly in libraries and a bookstore before dropping out of the job market about the time our third child was born. The children have reached the age that I'm getting to the point of wondering what I want to do in the way of work once the free time expands when they fly off. I suppose this puts me rather in the same category as the teens on this board, eh? What shall I do when I grow up?

I have never had any interest in RC, which I'd always thought until reading this thread was a brand of cola, but I do have a very small (3") reflector telescope. :smile:

John
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

This is a fun thread. For the last 21 years I've been working as a lab tech in a testing laboratory. We handle oil, water, soil, hazardous waste and my speciality, coal.

Been married 20 years to my husband, Myron. We have no kids just one dearly loved and pampered cat.

Hope to retire someday and spend lots of time traveling in our camper.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Registered Nurse, working in an ICU and an ER. Also enrolled full-time in a Master's of Nursing, Family Nursing Practitioner program. Father, husband, play whistles/uilleanns/smallpipes in a band, freelance highland piper, and of course on occasion I make a pennywhistle or two.
Dave
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

You want guitars ??
Epiphone Les Paul studio, left handed
Cort, Strat copy, left handed
Ovation, Celebrity, left handed
Honner, P-bass copy, left handed
Dean, Edge 6, six string bass, left handed
Nubby

Post by Nubby »

:evil: :mad:

How do you do that weight lifting one and the dancing one?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nubby on 2002-02-24 23:19 ]</font>
Porridge

Post by Porridge »

I've been a succesful politician, a best-selling novelist, and husband to a fragrant wife.

Bit down on my luck of late but have high hopes of my new career as a whistle engraver. Please contact me off-list for information about my improved Walton's little black Ds, wisteria pattern, a snip at €94,499 each.
JimmyM

Post by JimmyM »

To the whistling beekepers on this thread:

My wife kept bees in our garden for a few years, joined in with the local beekeepers, had good fun. But unfortunately she developed an increasing allergy to bee stings, which you only get when disturbing bees in their hive. The last time she was on her own and the swelling got to her throat before her doctor sorted her out. Scary! So the bees had to go - to a good home, of course.

But we do miss their contented buzz in our garden on a summer's day, like a soft drone on the smallpipes. And our fruit and flowers were much better pollinated.

Honey bees are a misunderstood lot (is this familiar to whistlers?) All they want to do is make honey - if they sting once they'll die, so they are not at all aggressive unless disturbed. Hmmm - sounds a bit like session etiquette.
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

I currently work in the Dutch office of a Danish company.
So a dutch person in Denmark in a dutch office of a danish company...
confusing??

I moved to Denmark 2 years ago. Last march i got offered this job. The company develops and sells reagents for medical diagnostics.
I was basically hired for my language skills and office experience - and am learning a lot about the highly complex products that they sell.
It's great to live abroad and still get to speak one's own language.
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

I have never had any interest in RC, which I'd always thought until reading this thread was a brand of cola, but I do have a very small (3") reflector telescope.

John

Hey John,
That wouldnt be the Celestron Tabletop 76 would it ?
Dan
Hey Moe, Hey Larry, Hey Fellas, Whoooo Whoooo Whooooo
LittleMy

Post by LittleMy »

On 2002-02-25 04:14, JimmyM wrote:
To the whistling beekepers on this thread:

But we do miss their contented buzz in our garden on a summer's day, like a soft drone on the smallpipes. And our fruit and flowers were much better pollinated.
Yeah, I miss bees too. When I lived in South America, I had a hive in my kitchen shed. I loved listening to them at night, and smelling that honey/wax smell.

Now I live in an apartment. :sad:

You're right, though. Honeybees are very misunderstood. Their system of self-organization is fascinating.
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

The one thing I've always tried to keep over these long years is a sense of humor, For instance. Shortly after we moved into the new house, I mowed my lawn wearing grey sweatpants, a T-shirt and Bullwinkle slippers.
since then my nieghbor on one side rarely talks to me (he seems to have a vendetta going with his lawn)This is the guy with the 90 gazillion watt security light. My other nieghbor though really warmed up to me. As a plus He turned off ALL his outside lights once he found I stay awake and can usually be found outside at 3 in the morning. The roving groups of teens (Yep they're up that late)now know me, and point me out to their friends. Since moving here (Been living in a big City) I've learned several things. Owls can sound like a human, Dogs loooove rotting salmon. Just because kids roam at night does not make them a gang..Its cause they are bored to tears. A small laser pointer is enough to disable MOST security lights without burning out the sensor. I've learned retirement is NOT the kiss of death. I've learned that here in the North west, Coffee making and drinking is a religion. I've learned that, yes. Humans can live without direct sunlight and at temps below 65 degrees can thrive. Just thought I'd share

Dan
Hey Moe, Hey Larry, Hey Fellas, Whoooo Whoooo Whooooo
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I'm the Senior Credit Controller for a London based advertising agency (WWAV Rapp Collins Ltd). There are related companies across the USA and Europe, but I just deal with the London operation, and that's a lot less glamorous than it might sound (and it it doesn't sound glamorous, you got it right the first time).

I spend 80% of my day "on screen", so whistle (and mandolin) are very much my chill out & creative outlets. I envy you ladies & gentlemen who use your hands as well as your minds in your work, but when a wet westerly is blowing up the Thames (I can see Hammersmith Bridge from my office window) it's not so bad to be sitting warm & dry!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Morris Dancer.

No, wait a minute, that's just my other obsession. (Pays about as much as whistle playing)

For the money I work in Building Control at the Local Authority.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I stay awake and can usually be found outside at 3 in the morning. The roving groups of teens (Yep they're up that late)now know me, and point me out to their friends. Just because kids roam at night does not make them a gang..Its cause they are bored to tears.

Dan
Hey Dan, start handing out the Sweetones. Whistle lessons at 3 a.m. sounds like a great way to relieve their boredom.

John