EBay Poll

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Have You ever Purchased a "No name" brand whistle/ flute from ebay

Poll ended at Wed May 12, 2004 3:18 pm

Of Course All the Time
11%
Once I did when I was drunk
13%
I thought about it, then I realized I was broke
14%
What are you kidding me!? Never!
36%
Bring Out the Holy Hand Grenade!
27%

Total votes: 56

Cyfiawnder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

EBay Poll

Post by Cyfiawnder »

I'm just currios as to who has purchased No name brand instruments from ebay seller.
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

HI,
I bought a 6-hole flute once...I knew it was PVC...but gee, it was TERRIBLE. He has rolled a hunk of wood-grained shelf paper over the
pvc, and drilled 6 holes and a blow hole and that was it! It will take
an air-compressor to get enough air thru it to get a tone!
I MUST have been drunk!!
Lolly
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Heh heh, this race is closer than I thought I was going to be...

Post by Guest »

I will try anything once for a laugh. 1 I have never bought from ebay but I have bought on the net elsewhere. Never been dissapointed yet.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

eBay, yes, but only whistles that have name recognition and reviews.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

lollycross wrote:HI,
I bought a 6-hole flute once...I knew it was PVC...but gee, it was TERRIBLE. He has rolled a hunk of wood-grained shelf paper over the
I MUST have been drunk!!
Lolly
I did the same thing, and love it... luck of the draw...er... bid? or perhaps I just used to be a flautist, so it doesn't give me any (ummm... much) trouble. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I checked all the time, but it was really just once (and I wasn't drunk).

But the result was fabulous. I bought a turn-of-the-century boxwood 4-key flute that was advertised as having horrible intonation. I got it, and it DID have horrible intonation, but the most wonderful sound. Plus it had no cracks and all the keys sealed and were mechanically sound. I recently sent it off to a very good flute restorer, and he re-reamed it and adjusted the intonation. The flute plus restoration were less than $350.

Now I have a FANTASTIC flute. I just got back from a lesson to which I brought it and had my teacher try it out. I thought I was going to have to pry it out of his cold, dead hands. Not really, but he was blown away by it, so it's not just this novice that thinks it's wonderful, a professional flute player does, too.

I will add that this was much better than another well-known antique flute that I bought and returned because it was not as advertised.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

lollycross wrote:HI,
I MUST have been drunk!!
Lolly
Hey, I think I bought that one too only I didn't get the shelf paper!!
I SHOULD have been drunk!!
waitingame
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

'was going to check item #2, then read the whole works, couldn't resist the Holy Grail reference... :D

You knnniggggets!
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Mostly I've bought name stuff there, but there've been several flyers on unknowns. Mostly they were middling to crap, but one of them was an old all-metal high G that may be a Gen but is absolutely marvelous whatever its' provenance.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I bought a flute on ebay for $25 USD hand made polyvinyl (not PVC close but no) the guy who makes them says the brand is called Folkwinds but whatever it was a great flute with a great tone the best $25 I have ever spent but if you do buy from ebay be careful. :)
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

wow 39 in less than 24 hours... That's not bad... :) The reason I asked is because I ordered a "Rosewood" Irish Low D flute, and it should be arriving today. I did it mostly so I could see the construction of a Flute. SOme people Cut a block in half and gouge out the middle, then glue it back together. Others use a "gun bit" and core the center out of an already rounded piece of wood. It wasn't super expensive so I'm not expecting too much... I'll probably have to "tweak" the embochure (sp) and properly tune the holes, but that's no biggy. I already have one flute that is hard a heck to play... an unknown Key Sakuhache I think they're called... those Bamboo one with the two embochure holes. The second one gets covered with a piece of Onion skin or some such nonsense... I just taped over it :)
Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

To date a Shaw D (perfect quality, although many would argue that there is no such thing as a perfect untweaked Shaw :D), and a nice little D fife (marked Köhlert und Söhne, Wien, needs a bit of work repadding and cleaning but otherwise crack-free and already playable).

I have a limit though, I'd never part with $$$ for something on eBay. People who buy like cars on eBay must be .. er, very brave.

And anyway, I don't have $$$$ in the first place.

Az
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Yes once, if I remember right it was an Overton, that wasn't advertised as an Overton. So it was no-name, but the distinctive mouth piece was a give away. I picked it up for about half of retail. Other than that I stick only with instruments I can Identify from photo and name, and from rated sellers. There are the occasional bargains, and there are frequent opportunities to pick up a desired whistle or flute ad 20-30 percent discount. Of course there are also some unreal deals like 12 dollar whistles going for 40.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Honestly, I believe I would bid on a charcole grill if I were in hades.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.