tinwhistler's day jobs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WhistlerWannaBe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WhistlerWannaBe »

Well...I can relate to whoever it was that said they stayed up way too late reading this thread!!

Thought I would post again to keep this great bonding thing on the roll...

The funny thing was that hubby stayed up late too, getting to know you guys! I think he is much more reassured now that C&F is not some cult of crystal people who will steal me away! :razz:

I should mention DH as he is a big part of my happiness. We have a small farm in rural Nova Scotia on the beautiful bay of Fundy. Some beef, u-pick strawberries and a sawmill. Hubby is also studying at night toward Bach of Religious Education while I whistle away. He also is lead singer and guitarist of a group called "Once and For All" who released their first CD about a year ago. ($10 CDN, hint, hint)

I also am fairly, not-quite but wannabe fluent in Sign Language.

Guess that's all for now....

Deb
Sara

Post by Sara »

I read your poem - very nice; quite sad, but very nice.

Sara
On 2002-02-24 13:34, DaleWisely wrote:
Regarding writers' rejection slips: Keep at it. Be persistent. Rejection slips are part of the deal.

http://www.natcath.com/NCR_Online/archi ... 21502l.htm

Dale
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

This thread is positively addictive!!

Tony, so you went from flying RC planes to brain surgery AFTER the automobile accident! Hmmmm . . . I've been having headaches lately, think you can help me out? (hey, what's a little trepanning between friends?)

Mack, G'Morning and a great Lord's day to ye!

Vinny
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

I was a pediatric intensive care nurse for 15 years and an ICU unit manager for 7 years. For the last 10 years I've been a professor at a university where I teach pediatric nursing and do research which I hope will improve the lives of medically fragile children and their families.

Clark
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Vinny... actually I'm a wannabe computer hacker. I figure if I can get into the college computer I can do a tweak or two and get those necessary credits for that masters degree I'm so many years short of getting.
selkie

Post by selkie »

I retired many years ago due to disability and gradually most of the things I could do went. Gave up moist of my music and then bought a whistle last August. I definately have WHOA and have actually lost count. My aim is to get a whistle from as many countries as I can. At home I look after 4 pet ferrets, two cats and a mad dog, all rescues, whilst my hubby looks after me and puts up with me whistling at all hours day and night!;-)
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

To add, I am the lucky husband of a beautiful woman who actually encourages my whistle and pipe obsession, even got her hooked on bodhran, I have a precocious 7 yr. old who is under the impression that the world is one giant stage for her to perform on. Got my first set of practice pipes yesterday and am currently driving the neighbors animals to distraction.

Joel wrote: have lots of potlucks...

So when is the next one? Got any neighbors you don't like? If so I'll bring my pipes

Ron
seanathair

Post by seanathair »

911 center supervisor by day, college student by night, father of 4 to 7 (some are foster kids, some just stay here), and grandfather for about 2 weeks.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Wow, you people are a piece of work! :grin:

The timing of this thread couldn't be better--right when I have some really great job news, and now, here is a whole herd of people to brag to!!!

I've spent the past several years teaching elementary school music, something I've had to learn on the job since all my training is in band. For a while, I loved it, but it soon started to get old. When I came here to Lander, I fell in love with the town, put in a few tentative roots, and so have been reluctant to leave, even after teaching BAG on the recorder grew rather thin...

**Disclaimer: No insult intended to you other elementary music teachers out there. It is an noble and honorable occupation.**

But where was I? Ah, yes.

Through all of this, one of my great joys has been teaching beginning band. I love seeing the lightbulb go on. You educators and parents will know what I mean--I often think the four most beautiful words in the English language must be "Oh, I get it!!!"

Well, apparently my kids' work made an impression on someone, because I just found out...**drum roll, please**...As of next year, I'm going to be put in charge of the Jr. High and High School band programs for Lander! After six years of career purgatory, I'll finally be doing what I know and love. I'm so excited! It isn't official yet (so don't tell anyone :smile: ) but it's a sure thing.

So, to answer the original question, I'm happy to say that, as of this coming August, I'm a band director. :cool:

Also, like many of you seem to be, I'm very involved serving God in my church, with youth ministry (wow, I never realized how many teens were here, either!), Bible studies, and just doing whatever can be done.

I've enjoyed learning a bit about all of you!

God bless you all with His truth and peace!

Tom
Heather21

Post by Heather21 »

This is a very interesting thread :smile: hehehehe...

I'm a barn manager on a horse farm. I work everyday (take 2 hours out of the day to play my precious whistles!). I mostly train young horses for the hunter/jumper circuit :smile:

Have a great day!
Heather
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Tony, Joel and other RC inflicted. So far I'm an electric park flier: lite stik, mini max and oddyssey electric glider (two meter wing). My son's a ten or twelve year veteran of slope soaring, also a freight pilot and glider instructor in real time. He lived in Ft Collins for a time and did some soaring on Horse Tooth, Joel. We've been looking into choppers, and practicing on the sim where crashes are affordable.
Nice site Tony!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Thanks Mack,
Simulator.. it's the only way to learn to fly model helicopters without spending a fortune.
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

I've enjoyed this thread immensly. It's interesting to see how many have similar interests, ie. Sara- my kids are also homeschooled, and how far along many of us are in whistling. Another good question to add would be - what venue do you play whistle in, if you play in public at all? And, how did you get involved in whistling? I play exclusively in church and on recordings I do for projects for my church. How I picked it up? About three years ago, I saw Davy Spillane on the "Riverdance" video and just had to know how to make that sound. Unfortunately, it was the pipes I liked but couldn't afford, so I started in on the whistle. Since that time, I got about a half dozen friends, including a couple missionaries, into the whistle. I don't play Irish music primarily, but hymns and praise music influenced by folk and Irish styles. Main instrument is guitar, but they are outrageous to collect.

edited for spelling

"If thy neighbor offend thee, buy his child a bodhran."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ScottStewart on 2002-02-24 20:15 ]</font>
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Mack! Oh my goodness! I didn't realize that you were into RC! I guess we were too busy talking about whistles! I'm actually a 9 time national champion in Remote Controlled Sailplanes! I was on the cover of RC Modeler once and have written articles for them... I'm currently on "inactive staus" with my sponsorship with JR Propo.... Also, my dad & I started a business through our flying and developments in the field... check out this site: http://www.tekoa.com

Cool... Well... when I come out to Grand Junction we'll have to fly some too!

Peace,

Blayne
CDon

Post by CDon »

On 2002-02-24 20:03, ScottStewart wrote:
Main instrument is guitar, but they are outrageous to collect.
You collect Martins and Gibsons, I presume? :smile: