Dave Williams

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Droner

Dave Williams

Post by Droner »

Hi Guys,

Does anynoe play a D set by Dave Williams, I saw a few pictures of sets by him on the net and they look good?
benwalker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by benwalker »

Dave Williams is an excellent pipe maker with a wealth of experience and many,many very happy customers.
Danny has just got a beautiful full set from dave in Stainless steel and blackwood. Nice set.
I think you will find that Dave Williams stuff is up there with the best of them :thumbsup:
Droner

thanks

Post by Droner »

Thanks very much...............any idea of price or waiting list length???
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

It would be best to contact David directly for that information, he is listed on the Na Piobairi Uilleann directory. I would expect his prices to be in the same range as O'Briain, Rogge, or Froment, maybe higher, maybe not. Translation: he isn't cheap but he is GOOD. His wait list is murder, though, several years at least the last I heard on the matter; best talk to him about it, I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

In january 2003 dave,s waiting time was around five years .You would go on awaiting list but no dsposit was taken . approximatly one year before delivery date dave would contact you and agree the final price and then a 15% deposit would be paid.

Here,s some figures regarding Alain Froment
In november 1987 a pratice would cost 350 Irish punts .the same pratice injanuary 2003 would cost 1300 euros
His waiting time is now 12 years so anyone,s guess what you pay in 12 years time

A full set in 2003 is 6700 euros

RORY
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Droner, you might want to get yourself a set by Kirk Lynch, for certain my favorite pipe-maker. Last I time I heard it was about 1 and 1/2 year wait... And, best of all he makes a terrific set of pipes.

http://kirklynch.com

Personally, I think Kirk is one of the best kept secrets, although not that secret, as he's pretty low profile. I've listened intently to two very good pipers playing side by side, one with Quinn half set, and the other with a Lynch 1/2 set, and honestly they sounded near identical... Which is not to say one was better than the other, just that they couldn't be told apart.
mconners

Post by mconners »

Seth Gallagher's wait list is currently 10 months. I have a set due from him near the end of this month.

I recommend his work to anyone. His relatively short wait list given the quality of work is a great opportunity.

http://www.uilleann.com
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Dave William's D pipes are the best. Well worth waiting for. I have a three quarter set I'm very happy with. The workmanship is first class and they have a mellow sound. My set's over 20 years old and nothing has fallen off or become loose. I live in Sweden and it can get very cold and dry in the winter months.