mistake Mack made

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Gee, Mack, y'mean you didn't really make 1129 whistles in the months between my two Whitecaps?

Since about everything else has been mentioned, I think you should use Roman Numerals. Then my C could be CCIX, my D could be CMXLVIII and my Whitecaps could be CMLXIV and MMXCIII.
Last edited by Chuck_Clark on Sat May 08, 2004 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

If you buy a whitecap for an Oak you should really send the tube. Mack turns down the flange so it fits better.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Which one? and executable or source?
Executable, but don't put an "exe" on the end of the file name or our virus protection will block it at the server.

Thanks!

-brett
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Proud owner of #1034 and #1036. :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Well Mack, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, and a Whitecap with any number would sound as fine....

My current favorite for a lot of tunes right now is a particular Mack Hoover E-Flat (White Cap # 927; Brass Body # 295, for the record) if I am playing by myself, which is often.

You and the other fine whistle makers known to the C & F community bring a lot of happiness to us folks through your fine work. This is as good an opportunity as any to remind you of that.

Your integrity is a matter of record and is equalled only by the fine quality and great sound of your fair and reasonably priced whistles and heads. Thanks for setting the record straight!!

Be well,
Tom D.
sturob

Re: mistake Mack made

Post by sturob »

Loren wrote:If it makes you feel any better, I've made two minor number stamping mistakes (both correctable) on $1500 instruments, and I had a close call while logo stamping the foot joint for a $3000 instrument earlier today - and some people think instrument making is a stress free job :roll: :wink:
Do you mean "instrument" making, or RECORDER making, Loren?

:roll: :wink:

Stuart
Paul

Post by Paul »

No, Stuart, he's torturing them. :)

In THIS THREAD
Loren wrote:If it makes you feel any better, first thing tomorrow morning I'll be dropping a dozen $1,500 recorders into a pressurized oil bath for the day, and you don't see me sweating, do ya? So what if they aren't my instruments...

I don't know what they did to deserve it but I'm sure they had it coming to them. :P :D
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: mistake Mack made

Post by Loren »

sturob wrote:Do you mean "instrument" making, or RECORDER making, Loren?

:roll: :wink:

Stuart
Hey, we make flutes too :x :lol:

Loren
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Paul wrote:No, Stuart, he's torturing them. :)

In THIS THREAD
Loren wrote:If it makes you feel any better, first thing tomorrow morning I'll be dropping a dozen $1,500 recorders into a pressurized oil bath for the day, and you don't see me sweating, do ya? So what if they aren't my instruments...

I don't know what they did to deserve it but I'm sure they had it coming to them. :P :D
Yes they did derserve it, and you should have heard them scream, MwwwaaaaaHaaaHaaahaahaaaaa!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

When did the numbering start? As I said above, none of my whitecaps have a number. I ordered my first one on New Years Day, when they were first available. This was right after Mack was finished with the prototypes.
Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

AngeloMeola wrote:When did the numbering start? As I said above, none of my whitecaps have a number. I ordered my first one on New Years Day, when they were first available. This was right after Mack was finished with the prototypes.
Angelo
S'far as I know, Mack's been numberiing them all along. I have narrow bore C and D whistles with very low numbers that I've had ever since I had WhOA.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Bretton wrote:
Executable, but don't put an "exe" on the end of the file name or our virus protection will block it at the server.

Thanks!

-brett
Ok..will send when I get to work tuesday ;)
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Whitecaps were first numbered in January of 03, and even after that there were some that were not numbered. An estimate of unnumbered ones in circulation is well over one humdred. Many of them were given or traded for testing.
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Mack,

I'm with all those who say you shouldn't backtrack. It would confuse people as to a whitecap's age and, more importantly, its level of development.

My old D whitecap had no internal brass sleeve, while my 2 newer ones have one. The beak also seems longer for the new ones. Obviously R&D has led to some significant changes.

The numbers should reflect that.

PS. See, I'm not the only one who's interested in your numbering practices, and why some whitecaps are unnumbered!
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Wanderer wrote:
Bretton wrote:

Thanks!

-brett
Ok..will send when I get to work tuesday ;)
OK...I'm lazy. and I don't even have the benefit of blaming it on my Irish heritage :(

I have the source code from work.. I just haven't built it into an installation package yet, which feels a whole lot like "work" :)

But if you want to see how easy it is to convert hex in Microsoft VB, here ya go..i'm just too lazy to throw it into WISE InstallMaster and build a 2 meg installation exe for 5K of code today ;)

Label1.Caption = ""
Do Until Text1.Text = ""
strChar = Left(Text1.Text, 2)
Text1 = Right(Text1.Text, Len(Text1.Text) - 2)
Label1.Caption = Label1.Caption & Chr$(HexToDec(strChar))
Loop

Public Function HexToDec(HexNum As String) As Integer
Dim iNum As Integer
HexNum = "&H" & HexNum
iNum = CInt(HexNum)
HexToDec = iNum
End Function