delrin melting point?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

delrin melting point?

Post by blackhawk »

I did a google search for the melting point of Delrin and came up with a number of 172 degrees F. So, are delrin whistles safe in a hot car in the summer? How hot do car interiors get?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Re: delrin melting point?

Post by Tony »

blackhawk wrote:....How hot do car interiors get?
I'm in Miami. I've heard claims of 140 degrees F.
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

blackhawk wrote:How hot do car interiors get?
I guess it depends on who's in the back seat. :)
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I think a few years back there was a thread on whistles melting, let me see...

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... dixon+melt

Looks to be more of a discussion of the possibility. At least there's some interesting opinions on there. We at Chiff and Fipple always are suffering from a lack of expressed opinions.

Edited because I noticed who started the last thread. :P So I take it you didn't risk leaving it in the car after all? :D
Last edited by avanutria on Fri May 07, 2004 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
starman

Delrin Melting point

Post by starman »

170 F sounds low. A quick search I did seemed to indicate about 375 F for Delrin. Our whistles are probably safe. 170 F is about 340 C so maybe the F was wrong.

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein
starman

oops

Post by starman »

I got it backwards. 170 C is about 340 F or is that what I said? I don't know, the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I don't think there is any danger of the Delrin itself melting. However, if a whistle also has metal fittings or tuning slide, repeated exposures to temperature extremes would cause expansion and contraction of the various whistle components at different rates which might loosen the fittings: Delrin is notoriously difficult to glue at best.
When it gets hot enough here in Upstate NY, I will subject one of my Delrin whistles to this test and report back here. Still, I think that a bit of caution is in order-- take the whistle out of the car with you. Besides, why would you want to go anywhere WITHOUT your whistle? :P
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Will O'B wrote:
blackhawk wrote:How hot do car interiors get?
I guess it depends on who's in the back seat. :)
hehehe...good one... :D
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'll bet it's 170C. Delrin certainly won't melt in boiling water.

Car interiors can get to well over 170F. I was at a meeting on manufacturing a few years ago, and there was a session on materials for the interiors of cars. All of the materials are made to withstand something like 110C. I asked someone about that, and he said they build in a margin for error of something like 20C, which means they plan on the interiors getting up to 80 or 90, or about 180F. These guys wouldn't put money into it if the interiors didn't really get that hot. Will it happen in Yellowknife? Nope, but it will happen in Texas, where you really CAN fry an egg on the sidewalk.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

We use delrin in the oven caps at my job. I'm in PTFE extrusions by the way... Anywho the delrin in those (white) stands temps of about 750degree F. Before it starts to burn. Delrin will get soft at around 300 degrees. Some of our Mandrels are made out of delrin and when we polish them before use they can get scortched by the rubbing compound and the lathe if one is not careful.
-Cyf-
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

avanutria wrote:I think a few years back there was a thread on whistles melting, let me see...

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... dixon+melt

Looks to be more of a discussion of the possibility. At least there's some interesting opinions on there. We at Chiff and Fipple always are suffering from a lack of expressed opinions.
:lol: So true!!
Edited because I noticed who started the last thread. :P So I take it you didn't risk leaving it in the car after all? :D
Man, Beth, good memory!! :D I have thought of that thread several times while wondering if Delrin made things more worry-free in this regard. If I hadn't worried about the Dixon melting, I'd probably still only own that one whistle today. It was not wanting to lose my precious Dixon (bought on one of my trips to Ireland) that started me down the road of WhOA.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

All in all, Delrin appears to be safe from melting in a hot car. Good points, though, Paul. Thanks everyone! :)

--Plato
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Delrin is Hexapolymer and Acetal a Copolymer, they are very similar and some whistles are actually using Acetal instead of Delrin. The melting points might be different.

Delrin gives off nasty fumes when it burns, someone told me that it was like formaldehyde.

Delrin should be case in the car, a lot of those round stick-shift knobs are made of Delrin.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Delrin gives off nasty fumes when it burns, someone told me that it was like formaldehyde.

Great, one more thing I need to wear a mask to work with - I might as well sleep with my respirator on :roll:

Seery flutes have been around for quite some time, and I don't recall hearing any melted flute stories regarding those. Dixon polymer flutes are another story however.......

Loren
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Loren wrote:
Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Delrin gives off nasty fumes when it burns, someone told me that it was like formaldehyde.
Great, one more thing I need to wear a mask to work with - I might as well sleep with my respirator on :roll:
Nah, I never smell any fumes when working with Delrin under normal circumstances... it does stink a bit if I get carried away with the drill bit while doing the preliminary boring of rod stock though.
PVC... now THAT was some nauseating stuff to work with! Image
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits