Burke narrow-bore whistle & clogging

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dublingirl

Burke narrow-bore whistle & clogging

Post by dublingirl »

Which type of Burke narrow-bore whistle is less likely to clog - brass or aluminium?
Thanks!
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

Composite. :D
glauber

Post by glauber »

AFAIK, Burke whistles don't clog. Brass or aluminum shouldn't matter, since the cloggable part, the windway, is delrin.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Boo

Post by Boo »

Thought I'd chime in here...

My C brass session pro doesn't clog but my D aluminum NB black-tip does. I probably slobber more than Glauber, though.

No big whoop. I treat it with hand soap every couple of weeks and that does the job.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I used to have a brass D sessionpro, and it was uncloggable. Maybe the narrow bore whistles have the problem, then?

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I play Burke narrow bore whistles in both brass and aluminum... They simply do not clog.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Byll wrote:I play Burke narrow bore whistles in both brass and aluminum... They simply do not clog.
Best.
Byll
I also have both the brass and aluminum narrow bore whistles, and my experience is the same as Byll's.
lemccullough

Whistle clogging

Post by lemccullough »

I just received a new Burke alumnium D. Very clean sound, nicely in tune, solid timbre and thus far no clogging. I'll use it on a recording tomorrow and put it through its full pacing.

I'm still having trouble adjusting to a world, though, where I have to worry about the nearest source of soap for a defective whistle head. Doesn't seem natural. I remember a time when you picked up the whistle and it played, and it kept playing the same way forever, good, bad or indifferent. Then again, 10 years ago who thought phrases like "rebuilding desktop" or "defragging hard drive" or "clean your mouse", woud be part of our daily vocabulary and routine?

Best,
L.E. McCullough
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Since all of Mike's whistles (except the old-style WBB) have the same windway, it shouldn't matter. If you're, like me, a little clogging-prone, then it would seem that the brass would be in theory just a tad more likely to clog, since it will take just a tad longer to warm up.

That said, of the several Burke high whistles I've owned, the only one that's ever clogged was an Al Pro session. Two old-style WBB's never have.

Also, having just acquired a narrow-bore brass, I'd highly recommend it. It has a pure but still traditional sound, really quick response, and the overall ease of play that all of Mike's whistles have.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I just pulled out my NBB and reminded myself how nice it is. I did a review of this whistle in Chiff and Fipple quite a while back. Only one caution; this is a pretty quiet whistle. For playing alone, that can be a real advantage, but if you like to play in a large session, your sound will get lost.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Dana

Post by Dana »

I have a narrow bore brass D which is wonderful, but it does clog if I don't warm it up carefully. It's not loud, but has pretty decent carrying power nonetheless. (Great whistle!)

Dana
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

I got a narrow bore alluminium in "D" and I don't have clogging issues. I really like that whistle.
lemccullough

Burke Clogging

Post by lemccullough »

I have to say my best-sounding whistle, the one that gives the most sheer audio pleasure right now to my ears, is a Burke delrin key of B. Smooth, full, totally in-tune, almost a clarinet timbre, with crisp fingering, great, clean sound all the way to the high C#. . .

Unfortunately, it's in a key seldom used in Irish music, so it's pretty much for solo use only.

Best,
L.E. McCullough
eskin

Post by eskin »

My WBB brass D does occasionally clog, but none of my session pro instruments in D, C, B, or A ever have a problem.

Treating the windway with dishwasher rinsing agent does nearly completely eliminate the clogging issue, but don't under any circumstances clear the windway by sucking after treating a whistle (very yucky!).

Cheers,

Michael
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Azalin wrote:I got a narrow bore alluminium in "D" and I don't have clogging issues. I really like that whistle.
Likewise. Ditto. Me, too.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe