tinwhistler's day jobs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Vinny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Vinny »

This thread is excellant! It's already kept me up waaaaay past my bedtime.

Married to the same wonderful woman for 28 years.
Dad to 2 grown-up kids: one of each flavor.
Grand-dad of 1.
Counselor at our church
Bassist in the worship team (bass to whistle, yes you can say I go to extremes).
Run a treatment program in a juvenile detention facility.
Have 2 mutts who don't know they are dogs.
Never have enough time to play whistle!

Vinny

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vinny on 2002-02-23 23:48 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vinny on 2002-02-23 23:49 ]</font>
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Chas

I can't really say I ever put off any hobbies until retirement. I've been through more hobbies than jobs. Still, until an unfortunate illness, retirement left me a lot more time for some favorite things that had been woefully neglected, like fishing and computer games.

I can't even say I'm finally retired, since I was fortunate enough to be able to go out shortly after turning 54. I may still seek a second part-time career. Or I may not. The truly great thing about retirement is that you finally get a fair chance to actually make choices.

And in keeping with the rest of this thread, my other instrument is the Appalachian dulcimer (I have a hammered dulcimer - I proved to be a total failure at it.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Clark on 2002-02-23 23:54 ]</font>
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

One last one for Nubby and I'm off to bed.

Check out the little house below.

Edited to say G'night Vinny

...and all!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mack.Hoover on 2002-02-23 23:58 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mack.Hoover on 2002-02-24 00:00 ]</font>
Nubby

Post by Nubby »

Mack,
I have been to your site before! I was not aware I was chatting whith such a craftsman. (I didn't make the connection)
It is good to know you are a fellow christian. The best that could be said for my playing is that it is a joyful noise, so it will be a long time before I play for the congregation. By the way did you know the first building code was in the bible? Deuteronomy 22:8 something about putting a handrail up around a flat roof. As I am sure you appreciate fine things you have to see that sterling silver engraved copeland on that other thread.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nubby on 2002-02-24 00:34 ]</font>
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

I am a property appraiser for Island County. Most of this seems to be an educator to the public of how their county government runs and how there taxes are directed by the state; stuff we learned in high school, found boring and rapidly dismissed until we became property owners. I also play mediator between the front office and appraisers; both of these positions allow me to be somewhat of a lunatic, which I am very good at!

=============================================

Heh..Thats my Hunny Bunny, sigh

Dan
Hey Moe, Hey Larry, Hey Fellas, Whoooo Whoooo Whooooo
dth

Post by dth »

Mom to one 8 year old girl, 2 labrador retrievers, one elderly cat; grandmother to daughter's rabbit. (Hi 24BRIX. We're just starting the 4-H thing in Washington County Oregon. Where are you?) While daughter is in school, I write romance novels. (Hi Cees. What do you write?) Haven't sold one yet.

This thread is a terrific idea. Thanks for raising the question, atarango.

Debra
24BRIX

Post by 24BRIX »

On 2002-02-24 01:50, dth wrote:
(Hi 24BRIX. We're just starting the 4-H thing in Washington County Oregon. Where are you?)
No Way!!!!! I'm in Washington County........this world is way too small.:smile:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Wow you are all real people! I wrote a paper in college called, "The Internet: Evolution of a Virtual Society." I pointed out much of the bad, and at the time of the paper didn't have much of the good. It is great to see the good grow, and this thread is absolutely good.
I am a fine artist--a painter mostly. I work in oils and acrylics. I also sculpt in clay. I used to work for a local sculptor who does larger than life figurative work. Mainly did mold making, and the waxes for the Lost Wax process of bronze casting, and also worked in his bronze foundry finishing the sculptures after they were cast. I am represented by a gallery here in Pennsylvania.
I also write fiction in the techno-horror genre--that is where the monsters could almost be real based on science fact. I do a lot of single-panel caption art--those are the single panel cartoons that you see in magazines with the gagline (joke) underneath the cartoon. I write just gaglines too for cartoonists.
Now to keep a steady paycheck I work with the mentally handicapped teaching them life skills. We endeavor to bring them up to their fullest capacity teaching as much as they have the capacity to learn. Everyone is different. Some need to learn skills most take for granted like personal hygiene, dressing themselves, and etc. Others are taught job skills and can actually get to the point that they are no longer institutionalized.
I am an avid student of art history. I also read many genre of books, and too much history and current cultural trends. It helps with the fiction writing. One always hears to write what you know. It would be tough to write if I didn't read as much as I do.
Other writers will apreciate this: I am currently waiting for my latest rejection slip on a short story written for a magazine. They are past their deadline for return contact. :razz:

[Edited because this cheap new keyboard keeps missing some letters even though I hit the keys like i'm pounding a nail with my fingertips]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cody on 2002-02-24 02:38 ]</font>
Arto_Vallivirta

Post by Arto_Vallivirta »

By the summer i will be graduated from high school and after that I will (hopefully) study philosophy in the university. At my free time, I'm a musician, Irish dancer and a dance teacher.

/Arto
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

My turn!
I'm 35, half Indian, half Swiss, live in Switzerland and am working as a medical doctor in a wee hospital, started whistling last November and am adicted to it!! Incidently this afternoon I'm going to a session here in Basel/Switzerland, I'll take along my ClarkeD and my GenBb, it'll be my 2nd time at a session ,I usually just play very quitely and only if I can manage the tunes...:smile:
Slainte, Amar.
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

Already added to this one, but neglected to mention my beloved, Vicki, who not only puts up with having a recording studio in the spare room, but with it being slowly taken over with whistles. We'll be praising God for 20 years together this August.

She's part of our IT department at Cornerstone, a database developer, a wonderful tympanist, and I'm trying to get her to look into playing flute along with my whistles... :smile:

Cal
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I am a graduate student in Physics (Solid state theory) and I spend most of my free time singing or playing (on a variety of instruments) early music, modern choir music or any other choir music. I also listen to very much folk music from around the globe (though mostly from Europe).
Whistleworks

Post by Whistleworks »

Medical/legal consultant. Also teach whistle classes and play concerts.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Uh... does home-study course in 'brain surgery' count as a day job?
johnz

Post by johnz »

Hi, I'm a land surveyor. My speciality is construction layout, highways, bridges etc..When I start to get too stressed and hate my job I have to remember all the good things also. Such as getting in the woods on a property survey, or an interesting construction site. I just started a job right outside the NSA.It's a wierd feeling that someone is watching everything you do through cameras and satellites.
I find neat stuff in the woods, old bottles, deer skulls and antlers, hawk feathers, although it's technically illeagel to pick those up.All told it isn't a bad job.The pays not the best but I don't think I could handle a job where I was boxed in a office all day.I even get some whistle playing in on occasion.
Take care, JohnZ
addendum
I forgot the most important things.I have a three year old daughter Zoe and a six month old son Liam.My favorite hobby is whitewater canoeing, although I don't get to do it as much as I'd like.The kids take a lot of time, but it's well worth the trade off.
See ya

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: johnz on 2002-02-24 09:54 ]</font>