Chiff & Fipple and the Last 'Friends' Episode

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

Up the curmudgeons! Let us raise a glass to the few, the proud, the surly! Down with mediocrity! A pox on laugh tracks and network hacks! Up with.... uh.... I'm not sure. No idea, actually. Can I get back to you on that? :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I think I may be the only one who ever looked forward to an episode of "Twin Peaks".
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cyfiawnder wrote: Northern Exposure was a great show.. I even remember the Treboucher episode (the cow catapolt). I think he flung his harley instead.... i can't remember.
He flung Maggie O'Connell's piano.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Nanohedron wrote:I think I may be the only one who ever looked forward to an episode of "Twin Peaks".
..and I'm certain you are not the only one! ... That show was quite interesting for a while... it had merit well beyond the absence of a laugh track, and the presence of Kyle MacLachlan :D
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

This seems like a good place to assert that the best-written TV show ever was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I suppose M*A*S*H came close.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Darwin wrote:This seems like a good place to assert that the best-written TV show ever was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I suppose M*A*S*H came close.
Yeah, Mike, sure. You just liked watching Buffy.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Speaking of obscurity, I liked Wise Guys, especially when they had Jerry Lewis. I never understood why Ken Wahl always had the stoopid leather jacket on though. Nobody else did.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

We have not had a television signal come into our house for well over 10 years. Well, the signals come in but we don't receive them.

Too busy playing music, I mean posting here.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Darwin wrote:This seems like a good place to assert that the best-written TV show ever was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I suppose M*A*S*H came close.
I liked Buffy (and I'm buying the DVDs as they are released), but I much prefered the series Joss Whedon created after Buffy: Firefly. Better writing, better cast (IMHO). As usual, Fox TV didn't recognize a good show, and it was cancelled after one season. (The DVD set even has 3 episodes Fox didn't bother to air.)

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Get Smart and Batman were my favorites. Those were versions of reality I could really resonate with. And Dragnet: now those guys were real role models. I work telephone medical advice and still use the line, "Just the facts, m'am."
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

24--I watch it religiously with one of my daughters. I DO wonder what the big threat will be next season, since we've already done Presidential assassination,nuclear threat, bio threat. My daughter and I have written FOX recommending that next year's threat be bears. Bear attacks. A nationwide plague of bear attacks.

I'm also sort of getting hooked on a new USA Network show called "Touching Evil." Reminds me of the first season of Millenium from a few years ago, which I really liked.

And I was ALL about "Twin Peaks."

Dale
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

Hi Em--Northern Exposure used to be my favorite program. I agree the show went downhill quickly after Dr. Fleischman went away. I wish the producers would put it on DVD someday.

About 8 years ago, I was visiting Seattle, and I took the 2 hour ride out to Roslyn, WA which served as Cicely, AK and where all the street scenes were shot. It was a hoot seeing The Brick, Joel's office, Minniefield Communications, and the cafe with the mural. I even had a grilled cheese sandwich and beer in The Brick.

Thanks for bringing back those memories!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, Touchin' Evil is okay except they overuse the time-lapse photography. And Bay Area locals enjoy the mistakes: a recent culprit was a professor who lived in Berkeley, but regularly walked his dog in Vallejo. Little geography issue there.

Interestingly (well, to me anyway) is that Touching Evil is a dark version of Monk, my favorite show. In both cases, you have mentally disturbed genius detectives solving crimes in their inimitable ways. TE is full of angst though, because the protagonist has lost so much emotionally after losing part of his brain physically (gunshot). Monk has similar loss (his wife who was blown up which caused his breakdown) but its not quite as "messy."

TE has further plot angle of emotional handicaps, as he befriends a homeless nutty guy, who he lets stay in his motel room.

Although our whole household REALLY enjoys Monk (my boys love it and its clean), it has become pretty formulaic. The good acting and characterizations save it and they throw in an occasional celebrity or famous actor, like Willie Nelson, John Turturro and Tim Curry to spice things up.

On the new "season" June 19, he is going to New York to be obsessive-compulsive there.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

If it weren't for Law and Order and the Daily Show I probably wouldn't watch the TV at all.
Mike
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, LawnOrder is big while other Weekender corrects papers. But we have now seen 'em all...Have to wait for new ones. D'Onofrio is the best.

Also, getting into The Shield. So violent I feel guilty for watchin' it. Very human though. Everyone is flawed in the thing.