Physics question from earlier chat

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Physics question from earlier chat

Post by Tyghress »

Two objects of identical mass, one is a cylinder, the other a sphere, (same diameter)set to roll down a slope. Ignoring friction and wind resistance, which reaches the bottom first?

Unfortunately I don't remember which college student posed the problem, so I need to post it for the general public. I know MY answer, but I would be interested to get an official physics-type to verify.

Thanks,
T
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

If you're ignoring all factors other than mass, there are two answers:

1) both

2) neither
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

As I recall, you can ignore mass too. Objects will accelerate at the same rate regardless of mass *provided* you remove friction etc from the picture.

May I ask what prompted the question?
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Darwin wrote:If you're ignoring all factors other than mass, there are two answers:

1) both

2) neither

And if you're not ignoring all other factors...ie, a real-life environment with all the oddities that may befall the rolling objects...then the sphere will be less impeded by the possibility of getting directionally skewed and losing momentum.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If you're ignoring friction, then they're not rolling, they're sliding, in which the case is they arrive at the same time.

If they're rolling, the sphere will accelerate faster. Its moment of inertia (the equivalent of mass for rotational motion) is 2/5 mr^2, whereas that of the cylinder is 1/2 mr^2, where m is the mass and r the radius.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Karina

Post by Karina »

Hey! I recognize this problem! Sounds rather too much like a physics problem I was doing while working on homework in chat one night... :D

The professor later posted the answer on the web, this is his reply:

Q16. The sphere has greater speed at the bottom and reaches the bottom first. The total KE at the bottom = PE at the top = Mgh, which is the same for both, since both have the same mass. The sphere has a smaller moment of inertia I than the cylinder. Since, rotational KE= ½Iω2, the cylinder will have the greater rotational KE and the smaller translational KE, which is why the sphere win the race.

What ever happened to 2+2??
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Thanks, Karina! I was wrong too. . .but at least I know the answer now!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe