$5400 Raffle - What a great community! :)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Ratings can be deceptive; what one person values in a whistle may not jive with another player's wants or needs.

That said, ratings always make for interesting reading, so rate away! :)

--James
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

I was not planning on rating here, but in the e-mail I send to the winners. But since people think it's not such a good idea, I probably won't do it.
~JessieD
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

JessieK wrote:I was not planning on rating here, but in the e-mail I send to the winners. But since people think it's not such a good idea, I probably won't do it.
If you let me win, I'll be happy to let you send me your list. :wink:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Best of Luck to everyone! God Bless Jessie for taking on the task. I know she will be delighted/relieved to have this ALL OVER.

One question -- Does anyone know a total approximate value of the prizes? Not on a individual prize basis, but a lump sum. I think the donated items, plus the raffle money, means the people here are some of the most generous people I have ever come across.

SALUTE! :thumbsup:

~Judy

PS -- How is Jerry's wife doing now? Hope she's doing much better.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

This may be a helpful list of prizes organized by type and by brand. Searches on most brand names turn up comments in the archives. There are way too many whistles on the list for any coherent discussion in one thread. Another way to organize the list is by approximate retail value, but I did not want to do that much and prices vary. The curious can turn that information up relatively quickly with an Internet search.

Thanks Jessie and Good luck everyone.

Chiff Prizes by type and then alphabetical by brand

Fife and Flutes
~Sweetheart cherry d fife (from Jessie)
~Olwell Bamboo G flute (from Dale)
~Tallgrass Winds Low D bamboo flute made by Steve Cox (from Mary Vollmert)
~Tallgrass Winds Eb bamboo flute (also from Mary Vollmert)

Gift Certificates
~$150 gift certificate to the whistleshop.com (from Thom Larson)
~Another $150 gift certificate to the whistleshop.com (from Thom)

CDs
~A MadForTrad CD-ROM of winner's choice (from Ciaran O Connell)
~Another MadForTrad CD-ROM of winner's choice (from Ciaran also)
~15 copies (separate prizes) of Nadine Laughlin's album, Beautiful Mystery (hear clips at http://www.nadinelaughlin.com )

Whistles alphabetical by brand
~Burke D brass session black-tipped whistle (anonymous)
~Burke composite C whistle (from Jim Durdin, livethequestion)

~Stained Birdseye Maple Busman d whistle (from Paul Busman)

~Beginning Whistler Set (from MyTinwhistle.com) Clarke original, Sweetone, and Susato Dublin
~6 Clarke Tinwhistle Gift Sets (from Clarke, 6 separate prizes)

~Copeland brass soprano d whistle (from Tyghress)

~Tunable Dixon d whistle w/ brass slide (from Aderyn)
~Dixon tunable Low D whistle (from Mike Johnston)
~Dixon 3-piece tunable Low D whistle with carrrier (also from Phil Brown)
~Dixon tunable Low D whistle (from Mike Johnston)

~Jerry-tweaked Generation d whistle (from Jerry)

~Grinter red lancewood soprano d whistle (from Phil Osattin)

~Hoover Ski-pole Low G whistle (from Mack)
~Hoover CPVC C whistle (anonymous)
~Hoover Redwood and aluminum d whistle
~Hoover Whitecap on Oak d tube (anonymous)

~Jubilee Low D wide bore aluminum whistle (from Daniel Bingamon)

~Goldie Overton Alto F whistle (anonymous)
~Bernard Overton Low D tunable whistle (from Phil Brown at bigwhistle.co.uk)

~Reyburn d whistle (from Tyghress)
~Reyburn narrow-bore Low G whistle (anonymous)
~Reyburn Redesigned high d/c whistle set (from Ronaldo)

~Serpent SunSinger Alto A whistle (anonymous)

~Silkstone alloy C whistle (from Jessie)
~Silkstone Alloy d whistle (from Jeff Chronister)

~Jerry-tweaked Shaw d whistle (from Jerry)
~Jerry-tweaked Shaw A whistle (from Charlie - chas)
~Jerry-tweaked Shaw Low D whistle (from Charlie - chas)

~Susato Low D whistle (from mamakash)
~Susato Dublin Low D whistle (from Steven - NorCal) + The Low Whistle Book & CD (from anon)
~Susato tunable Low G whistle (from Peter Mogdans peteinmn)

~Syn Ironwood d whistle (from Erle Bartlett)

~Tully sterling silver d whistle (anonymous)

~Water Weasel d whistle (from Jessie)
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Good work Jessie!

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
mcbob

Post by mcbob »

Jessie,
I am amazed with your determination and fortitude to see this through, despite giving birth in the middle. You deserve a hearty well done, this sort of altruism is all to rare nowadays. Good Job! You rest up and enjoy your new one!
Bob
" No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in" Bono
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Holy Crapp!!! I DIDN'T WIN A THING !!!!!!!!

Oh, wait ~ sure I did ~ I won the satisfaction of knowing that I helped out someone I like and admire!

Happy whistling to the winners, and Bravo Jessie K and Talbert and everyone else!!!!

Mary :party:
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

A great job Jessie. We are all glad that we could help out Jerry. A special thanks to all those who donated prizes and to Talbert for his CDs. I guess since I didn't get an Email I will have to buy my next whistle. I am going to be looking for a low D. Any suggestions?

Ron
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Well, this is a thing of beauty. It makes me proud. Thanks to all involved and especially the heroic Jessie.

Dale
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

DaleWisely wrote:Well, this is a thing of beauty. It makes me proud. Thanks to all involved and especially the heroic Jessie.

Dale
Amen.

As I've said, you've changed my life forever; I will never look at humanity the same after this extraordinary kindness.

Arleen and I are profoundly grateful, and you must understand, this isn't just a heartwarming gesture. You've truly saved our necks.

I can't say enough in thanks to all who've donated so many precious instruments, albums, whistle sets, etc.; to Talbert for contributing so abundantly, the music of his CD's and his passionate enthusiasm; to all who've donated so generously; and especially, to the heroic, mighty Jessie.

And Dale, you deserve tremendous credit and gratitude for having created the environment where this kind of thing can happen. There are no words adequate to describe what a treasure this forum, this community, and the influence of your great, benevolent personality are for those of us fortunate enough to have encountered them.

Today is a fine day, indeed. The children are all home now, as of about two hours ago. Arleen has been pining for two year-old Natasha (as have I), and she's finally back in our arms again. All the children are well and happy. (For them, this wasn't any kind of ordeal at all; more like a marathon slumber party and sleepover adventure at their best friends' houses -- four went to one household, two went to another.)

Arleen's clearly on the mend, noticeably able to do a little more day by day and week by week (it was three weeks Thursday since the surgery). Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be feeling better with the passing days, even as she's able to do more. It seems, with her natural amount of initiative, she does as much as her body will reasonably allow, but even though that is increasing with the days, she continues to feel just as exhausted and just as sore.

There was a noticeable transition in her energy and comfort levels at the two week point, and she's been on a sort of plateau since then. I'm hopeful there will be another transition soon, and she'll start feeling the progress she's been making, in the form of more comfort and sense of well being. It may be that having the children around her again will lift her spirits and help re-energize her.

I'm still scrambling trying to keep up with all there is to do. My own energy is not unlimited, and I fret about how far behind everything has gotten, but gradually, I seem to be clawing my way back towards getting things under control. It's still too soon to imagine what it will be like to be more or less current with everything, but I'm making progress, and that's heartening. My customers have been extremely understanding and patient, again reinforcing the sense of the inherent goodness of people this whole exercise has impressed on me.

All in all, I must say, there has been so much goodness brought into our lives in the context of this challenge, I feel happier, more contented and more at peace with the world than I have any right to feel under such circumstances. And to a great extent, I have you to thank for that.

You are a great and mighty force for what is good and positive, and as I keep telling you, you are changing the world.

With all our very best wishes,
Jerry, Arleen, Natasha, Ana, Tania, Genia, Lalitha and Irina
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

warms my heart, to be around a terriffic bunch of people,
jerry your dedication, helpfulness and overall sincerity is inspiring, i am honoured to have been part of the solution

May there always be work for your hands to do;
May your purse always hold a coin or two;
May the sun always shine on your windowpane;
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain;
May the hand of a friend always be near you;
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

an irish friendship wish

to jessie, talbert and dale,
you guys deserve knighthoods for service to humanity,
with all the nasty things happening in the world you have created a little ray of sunshine through the clouds
well done
kindest regards and unending admiration
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Since my e-mail is full of offers of illegal meds, fishy loans, and all forms of deviant human behavior :devil: EXCEPT whistling, I must not have won. :cry:

BUT- everyone who participated in this takes away something that is priceless. I feel like a winner for having had the priviledge to be a part of this experience. Thanks folks. :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

You Are Welcome!!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: -Tal St.Claire
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Mary, I was upset that you didn't win anything! :(

I did the drawing totally blindly. In order of purchase, I gave each e-mail address (of a purchaser of tickets) a number (total of 209) and if people bought more than one, there were more than one of that number. I made little paper tickets and pulled them, one at a time, from a tupperware container.

Jerry...I will send you the last check in a few days when this is sorted out and will announce to the community the exact amount we raised (given the PayPal charges and a couple of monetary donations, the exact amount is very close to ten times the number of tickets sold). I feel great about this.

My life is so full. We had a rough night...Joey decided to scare us a bit by forgetting how to swallow. We were afraid because Dan's mother, who held Joey yesterday, has had an infection for a month that causes her to have trouble swallowing. She has been through antibiotics and we were sure it wasn't contagious. Well, we were right, but we didn't know that until we took Joey to the doctor early this morning and found out that sometimes babies just want to suck when they aren't hungry. We're tired, but relieved.

And I came home to 60 e-mails with lists, many of them choosing only their top 10 or so choices, asking me to choose for them if they are not that high on the list (this is inconsiderate of people - I have enough to do!).

But soon it will all be done, and I am really happy about that.

Jerry, I am so glad Arleen is progressing, even if she doesn't quite feel it yet, and that the kids are back home with you.

Thank you also to everyone for the wonderful positive feedback. I appreciate all of your appreciation and compliments...I do not have time to respond to everyone.

Time for a nap.
~JessieD