tinwhistler's day jobs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

I am a nurse (obviously), more specifically a Public Health Nurse, where I manage our county's immunization program (yes, I'm the shot lady), run the Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (as a certified Lead Risk Assessor), and just generally preserve the health of my community.

I am also an aunt of 9, sister of 5, daughter of 3 (I was adopted by my stepfather but still see my biological dad), friend to a few and hopefully an enemy to none. :smile:

Beth
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

Jim,
cutter, polisher, engraver of gems--we cut cabochons out of agate, turquoise, opal, malachite, dinosaur bone, quartz, etc., and slabs for other lapidarists--my boyfriend is a silversmith and we cut the stones from rough material that he sets in his jewelry

LittleMy,
I suppose it is about time we had a messageboard conversation considering our proximity! In season, I grow fairly typical veggies, but in washer and dryer barrels I salvaged from the dump, in home mixed growing medium. Right now I'm just growing sprouts hydroponically in the house--not in jars--I have an automatic misting system and grow the sprouts in drawer organizers inside a big plastic tub--see gogreen.com for your own system. I still have my place in Presidio--I bought forty acres CHEAP and chose to live in a bus and haul water to save money for a house in Marfa later. I'm keeping the property because the Entrada Al Pacifico should increase my property value . . .

If you want to know about the Marfa Lights, I will sell you a book :wink:

or just come see them for yourself . . .

Lisa
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I'm a recently retired academic--which means
that I'm free to devote myself largely
to writing and research concerning arcane philosophical questions that almost
nobody cares about. My wife (also a
philosopher) supports me, which is OK
because I supported her for a long
time. I'm interested
to learn everybody's occupations, very
helpful, and I'm especially interested
in the theologians. I've published
a fair amount of philosophy
of religion. (The Undisputed has
an MA in theology, you know.) Also I play whistle on the street to help make ends meet.
And I box. Best to all
tubafor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tubafor »

What a fun thread! It's great to find out more about everybody...

I'm in radio production for His Kids Radio, a full-time national radio ministry for kids from Cornerstone University in Grand Rapids, MI. And, I have the privilege of being an air host (as "Captain Cal"), as well as doing a weekly syndicated music appreciation program for kids called "Captain Cal's Classical Corner." (take a look at http://www.kidsradio.org to hear a sample of the program)

And, I count it a privilege as well to be a part of this good company here on Chiff And Fipple! :smile:

Cal
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Im a rural letter carrier for the USPS to pay the bills, my husband and I own and operate a Virginia Century Farm that has been in his family for over 150 yrs,(he was born here in our house) we raise beef cattle, tobacco, and in the last 4 yrs have begun to grow winegrapes and are building a winery(hope to open this fall). Formerly was a veterinary technician for 13 yrs and showed Skye Terriers(the greatest dogs on earth)for 25 yrs. Also do freelance art work , animals only.Been married for going on 31 yrs, two grown daughters, 7 dogs.
Music is what keeps me semi-sane, play bagpipes, great and shuttle, whistles, mandolin(old-time mountain music mostly cause I was raised on it as a certified real-live hillbilly) piano, organ at church,scottish tenor drum with a local pipe band,bodhran,clarinet,oboe and guitar. So many instruments,so much music, so little time.
Glengary

Post by Glengary »

What a colorful and interesting goup of people.
We all need our diversions and music has always been a not-often-enough-used but peaceful diversion for me.
You're all a friendly and hospitable bunch
and I thank you for that.
Lady Whistler

Post by Lady Whistler »

I write childrens stories. I don't make any money but it does give me time with my three kids and my whistle.

Angie
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I work in the shipping department of an industrial lighting manufacturer.
I get to load trucks destined for locations all across the USA and parts of Canada, so I get to meet truck drivers from everywhere.
The accoustics are great in the warehouse, and I get in lots of practice throughout the day during my breaks... and nobody has seen a mouse since I took up playing the whistle last spring! :wink:
It's great fun to see the look on the faces of the truck drivers when they figure out where "that sound" is coming from... but I have yet to meet one who shows any indication of knowing anything about whistles or Irish tunes.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Retired after 33 years as a 'public servant'. Social work management in the early days, then planning/building computer and communications systems, then running high-tech buying office and finally two years as payroll manager, the latter three for the Illinois State Police.

Cowtime -

>showed Skye Terriers(the greatest dogs on earth)for 25 yrs.<

Another dog person - cool. Except I've only been doing it for twelve years and must very respectfully disagree as to which breed is the greatest. My Border Terrorists (Terriers) won't speak to me anymore if I don't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Clark on 2002-02-23 02:41 ]</font>
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Wow. This is the coolest thread ever. I agree that if this one exceeds "Sickening" it would be a healing thing.

The Undisputed: Child/Adolescent Clinical Psychologist, lecturer, adult educator.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

used to be a researcher/librarian until RSI put a stop to that, these days I take photographs of traditional musicans and related subjects
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I'm a monk at Self Realization Fellowship.
Who whistles late into the night, with my Susato low Whistle, Oak Penny Whistle, and
2 1/2 flutes, in my subterranian cell! Jon

He who knows, he knows, none else knows.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jon C. on 2002-02-23 03:06 ]</font>
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

<P>Well, right now I am working towards degrees in East Asian Languages and Literatures (concentrating on Japan and the Japanese language) and Gender Studies. I had to scrap my Classics major (and then minor) because of time constraints.

<P>For the past three years I worked in the orthopaedics industry, although I am currently studying full time at the moment. I also ran a website which marketed my Celtic Art, although I am in between providers at the moment.

<P>When I am not studying, I am tutoring myself in other foreign languages, reading, writing, and doing other artistic pursuits, including, of course, whistling!

<P>~Firefly
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

"I have a little farm beside a winding stream. I have a little barnyard where the grass is green. El pollito goes like this peep, peep!"... That is one of the songs I do with the first and second graders when we are not predominately doing science. Depending on the year, I will teach science to any or all of the grade levels from 1st -6th. I also teach computers, gardening in the school garden, and after school beginning and advanced band to 4-6 graders. I am on a year round schedule, which means I get a whole month off every three months. I'll be off in one week! That's when I stay home with our three kids. I do teach our two boys at our school with the third, a little red-haired girl, to enter next year. In church, on Sundays I lead a small group of very talented musicians, where I get to play the organ, piano, and other instruments. On Saturdays I cook pancakes. I love my jobs. -JP
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Such variety! I teach fifth grade, the magical age at which kids are old enough to aspire towards independence and yet not quite old enough to think they rule the universe.

Speaking of work...today I had the pleasure of listening to my students share their legends. We heard creative yarns with the following titles:
¥ Why Rabbits Have Long Ears
¥ Why Frogs Have Sticky Tongues
¥ How the Bear Lost its Tail
¥ Why Cement Can be Found at the Base of Most Playground Equipment

Sometimes it can be hard to keep a straight face :wink:

Jef