Becoming Irish or becoming Irish music?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Caj »

susnfx wrote: I've never been quizzed, never had anyone try to make an Irish name out of my name.

Everywhere I've gone (sessions and festivals) everyone was on a first-name basis anyway. So I never had anyone ask if my surname was Irish. Nor have I been asked if I have Irish ancestry.

On the other hand, I have encountered people at festivals who do the converse: introduce themselves and in the same sentence introduce their great-grandmother, in absentia, from Sligo.

My own bias about cultural identity is due to the fact that we know little about my father's side of the family, but it was understood that there was Irish ancestry in it. We don't know for certain, which first left me wondering about my "identity," and later realizing that this stuff didn't matter; we didn't know those people in any meaningful way, only that they obviously existed and came to the USA some time in the last 300 years.

Caj

[...and chose a surname that is pretty darn hard to trace.]
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Bloomfield wrote:You guys are right. And when the session musicians caught on to what she was doing and what she was trying to prove, they joined right in the wind-up:
I can just see them smirking as she is taking secret notes while no one is looking.
Yeah, obviously this woman has no sense of humor and didn't get the fact that these musicians were just slagging her.

I think the tone of the article in general was biased and bitter-sounding. She sounds like she felt intimidated by the fact that someone asked her her name!

I have been to many sessions over the years, and I have NEVER been given the impression by ANY musician that Irish people or Irish Americans are better musicians than others. Nor have I ever been given the impression that American session players consider themselves "experts" on Irish culture or tradition. I certainly do not consider myself "Irish" just because I play Irish music. And I think the author of the article needs to pay attention to the fact that, when she asked the musicians about the "cultural traditions they were passing on," they had no clue what she was talking about!

There is definitely a session culture, but I don't think anyone claims that Irish music sessions in America are the same as those in Ireland, or that Americans who play Irish music are somehow carrying on any Irish traditions other than musical ones.

Also, if some American musician was trying to put on a fake Irish accent and pretend to be Irish, then she deserved all the slagging she got!!!! :lol: (Doesn't the fact that the other players made fun of her for this negate the argument that Irish muscians in America are "trying to be Irish?")

Justine
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

peeplj wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: Incidentally, James, what do you make of the non-psychological responses that were offered to the article, you know, the part where the article is otherwise argued with?
The article raises issues that parallel the old dichotomy here on the board between those for whom the session is the soul and purpose of the music, and those who don't feel that way.
I thought you felt that way from your "criticize the article and brand yourself as a snob" post, and I don't think I quite see it that way. In fact I doubt that most of the people who are get considered snobs (or snobes, I guess) here on c&f but of course never get named would regard the session as the soul and purpose of the music. Even more so, I don't think the article is about session snobs vs. session slobs, at least it wouldn't be if it were done well. One of the problems with it that I have tried to point out is the authors seems to have allowed more of her own feelings and prejudices to enter the picture than was helpful.
Some folks read the article and have a sympathetic reaction to the author; I did. Exactly why I did, when I religiously attend our own weekly session, and am a conservative voice who continually helps keep the session centered around traditional music, I really can't tell you.

Other folks read the article and evidentally found it in whole or in part objectionable. Perhaps this is because they see themselves reflected in the article, perhaps not in a very flattering way--or perhaps for other reasons entirely.

I will say this: we don't have to do much towards enforcing the quality of our session players. Usually if someone shows up and doesn't play well, they quickly realize it and stop playing of their own accord. In fact we have the opposite problem: several pretty good players who can't be convinced that they are good enough to play in a public venue. Instead of discouraging anyone, we try to encourage, and guide. And we have had sessions where more teaching went on then playing, and that's ok, too. It all goes together, and we learn from each other.

Perhaps if you're ever down this way, you can sit in on one of our Tuesday-night sessions. You would be welcome!

--James
My first and negative reaction to the article was simple that it struck me as a thin and badly written piece. If that is "well researched" our academic standards are lower than I had feared. (For one thing, she seems entirely oblivious to methodology, not a good sign for a sociologist conducting field studies). Too bad, actually, because the subject could be interesting IF the author had put a bit more effort into it (say, if she had hung out long enough to develop a sense for distinguishing better from worse music) and if she had resisted the temptation play on the snob thing.

But I don't need to go on with that stuff. The point is simply, I don't think the article or the discussion is about who is nice to newbies or non-ITM musicians at the session an who isn't. Or at least it shouldn't be.

Finally, thanks for the invitation to the session. I won't miss it if I make it to Texarkana next (I don't have concrete plans just at this moment, I regret to say ;) ). Let me also add the following: The sessions that I like to go to, and where I could be considered a bit of a regular or inner-circle player are incredibly friendly. Everyone there bends over backwards to accomodate newbies, visitors, guitarplayers, bodhranster. If you just sit in the vicinity of the players, with that look on your face or an instrument peeking from under your person, you get dragged in, encouraged, asked for a tune, thanked for stopping by and playing, and asked to come back. That goes even if you play like shyte. We had a guitarplayer for two years or so, who played from music and very poorly, sped up, and compensated the deficiencies of her skill with volume. I mean, she sat there banging the bejaysus out of her guitar the day that Daithi Sproule was there, playing sensitve and interesting plucked accompaniments. :boggle: (Incidentally, she was the one who would grumble about other people bringing "their" session to "ours," when visiting musicians would be asked to play us some of their tunes; no, she wanted Father Kelly's into Cooley's into Star of Munster every week.) Thing is: No one kicked her out, she was asked to slow down here or there, but that's it. People appreciated her person and liked talking and drinking with her.

So where does this whole snob thing come in? Think about it. No matter how friendly or accomodating I and my session buddies may be about people and interacting with them, we still care about the music. That means that I am probably not going nod and say yes when someone tells me that Gaelic Storm is the greatest Irish Trad band since Planxty, or that it doesn't matter whether you play from sheet music or tongue every note, or any of the typical stuff that bubbles up here.

In the same vein, disagreeing with the style and substance of that article does not automatically make one a session snob who wants to be Irisher than the Irish.
/Bloomfield
emmline

Post by emmline »

not qualified to comment. will legally change name to O'Clement then get back to you.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Caj wrote: What's more: even if I read this article and jump to the conclusion that "boy some of these people are snobs," it's not snobbery over technical proficiency, but snobbery over cultural identification. E.g. "you're good, but you have no Irish roots, wheras my grandfather on my mother's side blah blah."
Funny..I was talking to Mongoose about a month ago about some of the sessioneers in Houston I knew. I made the observation:

"I've never met someone more Irish than someone who's only part Irish." Guess I'm not the only one who's noticed that ;)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Bloomfield, we are probably not as far apart on our opinions on this (and perhaps other things) as you might think.

I did enjoy the article, though. Maybe that makes me...what? Anyhow, no biggie...have a great night.

--James
lemccullough

Becoming Irishly Musical

Post by lemccullough »

>> It turns out it's someone else, Anya Royce.... whoever the heck she is >>

I took an "Anthropology of Dance" class from Anya Peterson Royce at Indiana University-Bloomington in 1972. Very informative, how to think about the way we move, dance, etc. as expressions of our various cultures, be they Irish, Chinese, yuppie, country-western, however we define ourselves socially in a particular time and place.

I believe Professor Royce is still a Dean of some sort at IU.

Best,
L.E. (Lawrence) McCullough
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Pat Cannady wrote:There's an excellent possibility she may have been the unwitting victim of a windup.
Especially if there were any genuine (oops!) Irish people involved...
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Nice BLACK suit, LE!! :lol:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

We need to do our own survey here. Real scientific-like:
Who's an Irish-wannabe???
Who was angered at being asked this?
Who believes in leprechauns?
Tony :lol:
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Caj

Post by Caj »

Wanderer wrote: Funny..I was talking to Mongoose about a month ago about some of the sessioneers in Houston I knew. I made the observation:

"I've never met someone more Irish than someone who's only part Irish." Guess I'm not the only one who's noticed that ;)

A friend of mine from Ireland made the same observation, after coming to America and seeing Irish-Americans, and their own particular emotional investment in Irish history.

Imagine going to China, and finding some Chinese people with American roots who are bitterly angry about the Alamo, or the war of 1812. Then they scratch their heads when you tell them that Americans don't actually hate the English.

Caj
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I take offense at being branded an Irish wannabe. I'm Irish, for cryin' out loud! I also believe in leprechauns because I saw a picture of one on a box of Lucky Charms, and I don't see how anyone can eat enchiladas, because I'm so angry at what the Mexicans did to us at the Alamo!

Slan agat (only true Irishmen are allowed to sign off in Gaelic),
Seamus O' Eadobhards
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I'm just thankful I don't get asked why the Catholics and the Protestants hate each other so much over there and hear how stupid it is to fight over religion. (Makes more sense to fight over music, wouldn't you say?)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

People tend to fight over what they are passionate about, because these are the things they feel they should not allow to be threatened or undermined.

--James

Post by Guest »

Some of these exchanges are great comedy material.

When I was serious about going a sessioning I would be too scuttered to notice what some wench with a biro was up to never mind ignore her.

Such people did not exist in those days TG!