What makes the Hall crystal flute hard to play ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
CJM
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What makes the Hall crystal flute hard to play ?

Post by CJM »

I have searched the forums regarding the Hall crystal flute, and have seen at least 3 statements made that say that the Hall is harder to play than brand "X", but no details to back up the statement.

I understand that the raised embouchure takes some getting used to, but is that the reason for it being harder, or is it because of a longer finger reach ? If the latter, how would it compare to say a Dixon 3 piece polymer ?

I am not a purist or a session player; I play simply for myself and the love of music; and was considering a Hall.
I currently play a Dixon 3 piece polymer flute and have not found anywhere in my area yet to try a Hall. I live between Albany, New York and New York City if anyone knows of a shop that I could go visit to try one.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm a past Hall owner, so my comments may be muddied a bit since it's been about 18 months since I sold mine.

I think the adjustment to the raised embouchure is what makes the flute more difficult to play...that and some inconsistencies in the shape of the raised portion of the embouchure (or so I've heard from other hall owners - mine was fine).

They're a pretty pure sounding and quiet flute. Being glass/pyrex, mine made me real nervous. I sold mine simply for funding to buy my Seery. Personally, having also owned a Dixon conical, the Dixon was much more to my taste than the Hall. However, the tone holes on the Hall were pretty good for half holing notes if my memory serves me well. Oh, the Hall is obviously not tunable, either, but if you're not playing with anyone else, who cares?

Eric
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I don't own a Hall, but I've tried a few.
I'm not sure whether it's harder to play in general, but it's near impossible to play with the sort of sound and response one would expect of an Irish-style flute. The reason for this is quite simple - it's not an Irish-style flute. It's got six holes, it plays the same scale, but that's the limit of the similarities.
If you're looking for a cheap but incredible sounding alternative to a real Irish-style flute I recommend Pat Olwell's bamboo flutes... they're absolutely top-class.
Chris
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have a Hall...I think of it as an enjoyable musical toy, but not much of a real instrument.

I think Chris expressed it best: it's not an Irish flute.

That said, you can play the music on it...to some degree at least...but not at a level in terms of sound or quality that I would want to expose in a public session. The intonation is quirky, the embouchure is unresponsive, the tone is muffled and shaded, the only available volume is medium-soft...it's just not well suited for trad music.

--James
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

There must be some variability in the quality with these, because mine had pretty good tuning, and it also had a good, clear sound once you adjusted to its funky embouchure.

That said, I was basically saying what Chris and James said - not a flute for ITM execpt perhaps as a quiet drawing room kind of thing. I'd forgotten, but it really wasn't that expressive, either, like James said.

Once you've played a conical bore flute or a normal Boehm, I can't imagine a Hall being much more than a novelty item...sadly, my Hall was my only flute from 1990ish until about 2001 or so (imagine if I'd spent that time on a real flute!). I may well have been the finest Hall flutist in the world when the millinium changed...or at least the finest Hall flutist living on my block :P .

Eric
glauber

Post by glauber »

The main problem with the Hall is that once you start playing it fills up with condensation and looks really gross. :o
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Dana

Post by Dana »

:P
nashradus

Post by nashradus »

glauber wrote:The main problem with the Hall is that once you start playing it fills up with condensation and looks really gross. :o
Yeah, then it looks like apparatus from my high-school chemistry lab :lol:

~nash
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'm glad somebody else took the plunge on the condensation statement. Does that mean that after playing one for a while at an angle you can it a .... Waterhall?

<trombone>
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Helo Cathy.

What Nash said is right. It gets "sweaty" inside, and starts looking like some kind of gross chemical experiment involving spit. But it sounds nice. At least mine does. I think it's tuned in C, not in D, but i'm not sure; i haven't played it for a while.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

I guess that showing up to a session with a Hall flute would be like going to a beer-drinking party with a china teacup. But just the same, my own Hall has a really clear tone and is really IN TUNE which is a real advantage. Since my musical tastes vary from some classical pieces to American trad. as well as much else besides ITM. I find that the Hall often makes just the sound that I am looking for. Don't worry, You will never see me walking into an ITM session because 1. I only play to satisfy a personal demon that tells me to and 2. I probably really suck at it anyhow. I do like my Casey Burns flute very much, but still find myself often reaching for the Hall because there is something about the sound that is candy to my unsophisticated, non-ITM ears.

OK..OK...OK...it DOES look gross after awhile (OK VERY gross). Hall should make them in an opaque glass color...to shield everyone from the condensation display. I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Rev. Ceg

Post by Rev. Ceg »

glauber wrote: I think it's tuned in C, not in D, but i'm not sure; i haven't played it for a while.
AFAIK, there is the C and D piccolos and the G and D flutes. The D is about 21.5" long. The G is about 18.5" or close to it. I have 2 of the G flutes and really like them. It took me about a day to get really comfortable with the lip, but since then it's been great. I play more toward a meditative type music...light classical. I can get soft tones or it will really blast with a forceful, clear voice. It really is quite versatile.

OAN, if you still have the Hall and are interested in finding a good home for it, if it's a D, I'd be interested in talking with you about it.
Rev. Ceg

Post by Rev. Ceg »

Celtoid wrote:OK..OK...OK...it DOES look gross after awhile (OK VERY gross). Hall should make them in an opaque glass color...to shield everyone from the condensation display. I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Pop by your local craft shop and look for the "glass etching paint". It doesn't actually etch the glass, but it mimics etched glass. It will give your glass an opaque look. Being a paint, it can most likely be removed later, but I won't guarantee it.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Don't get me wrong; these are better than many of the cheap bamboo flutes out there and better also than some of the Pakistani wooden flutes.

But if you really want to learn Irish traditional music, I think you'll quickly find a Hall flute to seriously limit your options in ways which even the least expensive true Irish flutes (Dixon, M&E, Seery, Burns) do not.

A Hall flute is great for what it is. If you try to make it what it's not I fear you will find frustration.

--James