OT for the Old Folks on the Board

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: premature senility.

Post by susnfx »

kevin m. wrote:OLD?
I can remember when 'Chiff and Fipple' was just fields!
:boggle:
Yesterday, my daughter and I drove past a subdivision developed in the last two years and asked her if she remembered what was there before. I told her that when she was older she could tell her kids, "I remember when that was just fields!"

Susan
starman

Older Than Dirt

Post by starman »

I'm sorry, I don't recall BlackJack chewing gum so I only scored a 24 Now what the heck was I looking for when I got diverted by this thread? I'm sure it will come back to me in a moment.

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein
Steven

Post by Steven »

mamakash wrote:The toys my dad played with in the 40's were simply dangerous, but no one seemed to notice. Chemestry kits with real . . . and often highly reactive . . . chemicals. BB guns. Lots of sharp edges on all toys with lots of small parts.
We still played with all that stuff in the 70s. Bows and arrows, too. And yes, every boy had a pocket knife, and nobody ever thought it might be used as a weapon.
Chuck_Clark wrote:I remember the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile, too. I should - since I just saw it last Fall :D .
I saw it last summer. My wife and I were driving around to a couple of yard sales one Saturday, and there it was. Just sitting there, parked on the street in front of some random house in the middle of a random suburban subdivision. I have no idea what it was doing there. Pretty cool, though! My wife thought I was nuts, because she's younger than I am and had no memories of it on TV.

:-)
Steven
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

According to the quiz, I am getting older. But I think that may be because my parents are antique dealers so I remember some of those things from that exposure.
~JessieD
markv

Post by markv »

JessieK wrote:According to the quiz, I am getting older. But I think that may be because my parents are antique dealers so I remember some of those things from that exposure.
Hee hee, I had the same problem. I had to stop and think if I actually remembered using it or just knew about from my folk's collection.

re: Holy moly

My two year old son proudly exclaimed "Holy Moly Cow!" the other day when we told him what the scale read when he stepped on it.

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
Wombat

Re: premature senility.

Post by Wombat »

susnfx wrote: Yesterday, my daughter and I drove past a subdivision developed in the last two years and asked her if she remembered what was there before. I told her that when she was older she could tell her kids, "I remember when that was just fields!"

Susan
It can work the other way in Australia. Old quarries get turned into rubbish dumps and eventually playing fields. At one time garbage of certain kinds was incinerated in large chimneyed structures call 'destructors.' Same with giant gas holders which we called (for whatever odd reason) gasometers. Now when driving past fields I tell the young ones ... I can remember when those fields were a destructor.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Our trick when I was a kid was rolling a Bull Durham cig only using one hand like Johnnie Mack Brown (anybody remmeber that cowboy? All the kids would talk about him every monday, but I never had the 9 cents (they started charging tax at 10 cents) to go.

I did get to see one of his movies once, though.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I know a young feller who wears a t-shirt that says "The older I get, the better I was". Cracks me up every time.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Its is my theory that the dangerous toys of years past acted as a "survival of the fittest" mechanism. Now that everthing is perfectly safe, we have offspring that survive a childhood which they should'nt have, begatting children that should'nt exist. I think we will wind up with a generation sooner or later that could poke an eye out with a cotton ball.
Seriously folks, some people really shouldn't breed. In the past, these stupid and clumsy people usually wound up killing themselves accidentally or eaten by animals. Now they stick around and have abnormally stupid and clumsy offspring. They used to fly through the front windshield, but now they are safely restrained by seat belts and air bags. They used to overdose on over the counter medicine. Now there isn't much over the counter medicine strong enough to kill.
We are breeding clumsy idiots that can't walk and whistle at the same time. This is evolution in reverse.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

PukeBimbo wrote:We are breeding clumsy idiots that can't walk and whistle at the same time. This is evolution in reverse.
Only if you think that marching bands and pop-pom girls are evolution in the right sense...
Also G. Ford was already a geezer when proving he couldn't both walk down plane stairs and chew gum--see? nothing new here.

PS: Your provocations are getting predictable, dude--next thing you know you'll forget Alzheimer's christian name... ;)
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

vomitbunny wrote:
We are breeding clumsy idiots that can't walk and whistle at the same time.
Evolution is weeding them out as adults. They're the people who think they can talk of the cell phone, eat, drink, and shave while driving. And they usually don't wear seatbelts. Eventually, they run the SUV into something.
Well, they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Or a tax burden.