Organizing a whistle tour? Suggestions?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Organizing a whistle tour? Suggestions?

Post by brewerpaul »

Someone in Holland just asked me if I ever sent a whistle on a "tour" like some other makers have done. I've been hesitant about sending a somewhat delicate wooden whistle around the world, not knowing how long it might have to sit in hot/cold delivery trucks, people's front porches, etc. However, with the Delrin whistles I now make, this is less of a concern.
Can anyone here suggest how to arrange such a tour? I was considering taking names and addresses for a period of time, then arranging them geographically and printing the list to enclose with the whistle. Each player would cross their name off the list and send the whistle on to the next address on the list. I might add a place where people could add comments or suggestions so I have some player input when the whistle finally wends it's way home.
I'd appreciate any suggestions other whistlemakers might have regarding tours they've sent whistles on, as well as suggestions for board members in general.
I am NOT taking names yet.. just considering the feasibility of this. Thanks.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

IF you ever send to the Continent... might as well go through Brittany during tne first week of July, so the other Chiffers attending it can give a try to one of your instruments :D

I'd sure would like to try some of your timber.

Wherever, it might be a good thing to consider building a hard crate out of PVC--not only against crushes but to damp out moisture and temperature shocks.

ELSE... if you fear for the wood, send a Delrin model!
Berti66

suggestions

Post by Berti66 »

hi paul

well the way you describe it, is indeed the way it is done most of the time, have a look on this forum www.gaeliccrossings.com where are some messages about tours and how they are done I think, too.
additional idea is, besides arranging the list with adresses geographically is that you should ask people to send it insured and airmail only each time.

and I think maybe there IS a way to send a wooden whistle on a tour because when you would normally make one to order, it would also go on airmail wouldn't it.......but I can imagine, trip after trip takes a lot from a whistle.
so, if in doubt sending a delrin on a tour, that would be fine too!

greetings
berti
Berti66

suggestions

Post by Berti66 »

hi paul

well the way you describe it, is indeed the way it is done most of the time, have a look on this forum www.gaeliccrossings.com where are some messages about tours and how they are done I think, too.
additional idea is, besides arranging the list with adresses geographically is that you should ask people to send it insured and airmail only each time.

and I think maybe there IS a way to send a wooden whistle on a tour because when you would normally make one to order, it would also go on airmail wouldn't it.......but I can imagine, trip after trip takes a lot from a whistle.
so, if in doubt sending a delrin on a tour, that would be fine too!

greetings
berti
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

I vaguely remember hearing something about Terry McGee having some trouble with customs and import VAT when he first sent a "Roving Ambassador Flute" to Europe. EU wanted to collect on the full value of the flute even though it was claimed to be a manufacturer's sample.

This is only a vague recollection, but you might want to be sure about that before you get started... I don't recall hearing how/if the matter was resolved.
chas

Post by chas »

For logistics, you can always email Terry. He's very good about answering email in my experience.

For safety, you might want to consider sending it in a container made from PVC plumbing. If you use 2" pipe or so, you can pack a swab and wick humidifier with it. You can also glue a cap to one end and have a screw-on cap on the other end, which should seal it pretty well in the cargo hold of the vehicles that transport it (against pressure changes, etc.). Again here, I suspect Terry could be of help.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Berti66

curious about customs

Post by Berti66 »

hm I live in europe myself and I have had a lot of things coming from the USA to me without any problems so that leaves me curious.
I would be sorry if it turned out to be true and make you put the whole idea off.....hope terry can help you out ;)

berti
mcbob

Post by mcbob »

I have alot of delicate instruments( helicopter parts) sent to me from Europe, and they are all packaged by people trained to do so. It might be worth checking out a packaging company for advise on using dessicants in the packaging to absorb moisture if sending a wooden instrument. The dessicant packs can be reused, if dried out .
" No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in" Bono
BillG

Post by BillG »

Paul - Terry McGee (terry@mcgee-flutes.com) did send one his flutes around and it went on tour through the US and EU as well and, I recall, Australia where he is. I don't recall any specific problems other than there being a long wait for it to travel. As a flute - wooden - people kept for a week or two in order to do a fair trial. Terry's a great guy to converse with. You can follow some of his vast knowledge on http://woodenflute.com

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
SwtCaro

Post by SwtCaro »

Right now there are 2 Syn tours going on over at Gaelic Crossings, and awhile back there was an Alba Tour. So second the suggestion that you go over and check it out. The members involved (some of whom post here too) would be happy to let you know how it works.

SwtCaro
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Another source of information on how to negotiate the trans-Atlantic and/or Pacific crossings would be Stacey of Alba Whistles.

:D The most important thing to do would be to include a chance for me to play your whistle against my Bleazey (mopani) and Thin Weasel (blackwood). :D Timing would be for the upcoming SF get together that Tony just announced.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
glauber

Post by glauber »

The important thing is to include me in the tour. Just for good karma!

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I have sent a Chromatic Whistle out on a tour.

I can't stress enough on making a container that will hold the whistle steady and protect it from damage. I had to make repairs on it and replaced a could of key seats which were torn off.

I plan on sending it back out, just haven't had a chance. Too many things going on.

I suggest that you set up a whistle tour like this:

1. Get the names/addresses/email addresses of the tour destinations.

2. Sort the tour destinations out by locale so that each step is not a large distance.

3. Have the whistle return to home base when it goes out of the country and send it out yourself. You might want to connect with someone overseas as the overseas coordinator.

4. Some postal systems are very slow. I sent a package to Paris in mid february and it took until mid april to get there.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Thanks for the suggestions Daniel (and everyone else).
Dan-- did your foreign people report being charged large import taxes for your manufacturer's sample?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

FWIW customs can be a bit of a hassle, unlike what berti above says I have had a lot of hassle from Dutch customs in the past re instruments, usually they insist on taking 20 percent of the value off you. Irish customs are mixed, fedex would only deliver an uilleann pipes chanter marked as as 'sent over for repair' from Canada [for one of my pupils] after taking twenty percent and another set of pipes sent to the neighbours was stuck in customs too [they said they would consider a refund after the repair] but whistles sent airmail through the regular post came through without a hitch.

Deliveries here are extremely quick, packages take two days from OZ or US, once even a next day delivery, posted here, delivered San Fran. England seems to take that bit longer but Germany, Netherlands etc one or two days to and from Ireland. Don't know about France.