Advise on buying a Bodhran

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
powerhaus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Advise on buying a Bodhran

Post by powerhaus »

lollycross wrote:Hi all,
I need to purchase a Bodhran on line. My usual sources don't sell them.
Does anyone have an idea on where to go? I don't need an expensive one, nor a case.
Thanks,
Lolly
Hi Lolly,

I'm Paul Marshall from Bangor in N Ireland, I'm new to this board. Greetings everyone.

I'm a pro musician and do play a little bodhran but I'm no expert. I am fascinated by and actively researching, this super wee drum. You can read more at http://www.drumdojo.com/bodhran/.

A couple of basic helpful questions you can ask yourself...what type of player are you or do you want to be, find a sound you like and can aim for. If you are a novice, how much bodhran have you heard?

For me, I can see a couple of different types of drum developing for different sounds and tonalities. The traditional drum has a heavy, thicker skin and really needs to be played a while to really find its voice. This is 'thumpy' in sound and very percussive. The other main contender is a thinner more flexible skin such as you'll find on an O'Kane and on a Metloef (Please not Meatloaf, Rob'll groan :) These are more tone-oriented drums and are very sensitive instruments capable of a huge range of sounds. It is a relatively new breed of drum and there are styles developing which are suited to these sounds, top-end style being a case in point.

A flexible thin skin will give you good tone from the drum out of the box, it has great musical range for pitch when playing, usually over an octave. and it can be played melodically with a little practise. To me it's a more versatile drum, but that's only my opinion. The sensitivity of the skin also allows it to be more accurately 'treated' with appliques so you can 'design your sound' to an extent

I'd heed any advice to stay away from cheap 'bodhrans', you'll usually find them so tight they're more suited to mid eastern finger style drumming generally. Those I've heard that were played-in weren't great. Most end up on a wall and come out with a few beers :). The skins are mass produced [in Pakistan?] to an o.k. quality threshold but not bodhran-specific. They're usually bleached white, dry as a bone and have no real flexibility.

I'd recommend you go and try a few drums at a store, go to a seishun, talk with a local player or two, take a few lessons, listen to some hot or interesting players on CD, do a little more familiarising to see what tickles your fancy.

If you need to order one... like tomorrow dude, then I'd say you're most likely to find the instrument more accessible and learner friendly if you can get it good 'out of the box'. IMO that will be a flexy, thin-skinned drum such as an O'Kane or Metloef, I think Darius Bartlett also makes drums like this but I'm unsure. If you don't like it, I'd not expect there to be a shortage of takers for a resell.

It's a lot of money I know, but a cheap imitation instrument will seriously interfere with your ability to learn. Most of what you see on ebay is just that, cheap tat, wall drums. With that said, I've occasionally bought a drum just for the frame. With a new skin it can still be a lovely drum as the shell plays only a small part in the sound of a bodhtran of trad proportions.

On the subject of tutorials, I did a review page of the main tutorials available. I have watched, listened, read and clicked my way through them all, although only the best and worst are written up and on the site.

A summary would be... Frank Torpey's Mad For trad CD rom is good, very professional and clinical, it's expensive; Tommy Hayes Bodhran, bones and spoons video is super-informative and great fun, I think Tommy's use of his suberb but tricky individual style may be a barrier to a novice so the best IMO to learn from is Steafan Hannigan's bodhran basics book & CD, it's well put across, easy to understand and the whole process stacks up very nicely. There is a second advanced series available.

Hope this is useful

Nice to be here :)

Paul
(Drum Nerd)
-------------
Paul Marshall
Noise and stuff
www.bodojo.com
www.bingbangbong.info
www.differentdrums.info
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Hi and welcome to C&F.
Thanks for all the Bodhran info. I read it and printed it out to re-read
it again and again.
I am recording a penny whistle album with 7 other folks who played
along with me. We need a drum too, so I thought I would just buy
one and play along.
It sounds like there is a lot more involved in just "playing along"
tho, according to all the posts.
I am not sure what to do now. I need to get this album released
in my lifetime, ha ha. I will go to a folk music instruments store and
have to buy what they have; but something is better than no drum
on the cd at all. I KNOW to avoid the low one that sounds like an
American Indian tom-tom, tho, right???
Lolly
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

lollycross wrote:but something is better than no drum on the cd at all.Lolly
I'm not so sure about that... Why does the CD need a drum so desperately? Is it a condition prescribed by the publisher or something?
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

BoneQuint wrote:
lollycross wrote:but something is better than no drum on the cd at all.Lolly
I'm not so sure about that... Why does the CD need a drum so desperately? Is it a condition prescribed by the publisher or something?
The other thing I don't understand is why it is so difficult to find a drummer. Finding a musican has to be easier than buying and learning how to play the instrument. Reno, NV is a fair-sized metropolitan area, surely there must be drummers, or someone who can loan a drum. There are 7 musicians already in on the project, someone must know someone, or someone on this board must know someone in the Reno area.
+ Bill
Hoed

Post by Hoed »

A maker that hasn't been mentioned before is Brendan White. Almost a next-door neighbour and a really nice person. My girlfriend bought one of his bodhrans last year and is still Very pleased with it.

His webpage can be found on: http://www.bodhran.nl. On this site he mentions a lot of musicians who play one of his bodhrans. Especially the dubble-skinned versions are great!
"Ken sent me"
- Larry Laffer
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

What are the advantages of tunable bodhrans?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

blackhawk wrote:What are the advantages of tunable bodhrans?
The main advantage is being able to adjust the tension of the skin to give the tone character you want regardless of the humidity and temperature. With a non-tunable head the skin will be too loose if the humidity is high and too tight with low humidity. You can loosen the skin of a non-tunable using water (a lot of people use a mist/spray thingie) and tighten the skin by using a hair dryer but that is a hassle, plus the water you spray on will start to dry after a while then you're back to square one. It's easier to just tighten or loosen the head.

If the skin is too tight the sound will be very pingy, like hitting a trash can lid. If it's too loose then it's like playing a dish rag.

From reading other's posts outside C&F I gather there are some places where the humidity is more constant and having a tunable is not a big advantage. In most of the US the humidity fluctuates enough to cause a problem. Also some makes of drum heads are more resistant to humidity fluctuations than others.

I have read of some people tuning to a particular note, usually D. My approach is to tension the head to get the sound I want then use the left hand to get the pitch.
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Hi guys,
Yes, we have a drummer in Reno...he hits the drum about 1/32nd after
the beat...no one can use him. And there is only one old drum for sale here, all dried out and dusty.
So I will have to go elsewhere.
Why do I NEED a drum....the album is mostly jigs and reels and has
"no bottom sound" and sounds "empty" without a drum in it, thats why :lol:
I'm the only member of my group from here too; the others are from
various So. Calif. places. There are plenty of Irish here; but yet not
Irish musicians that are any good.
Thanks for all your comments,
Lolly
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Parcour25 wrote:Brian, - REMO synthetic/fyberskin is not as bad as you think.

Modern drumsets (of which I own many - and have been playing for 30 years) haven't used real calfskin in like 50- 60 years.

What? Plastic heads sound good on drums, imagine that......
Uhhh...Parcour, have you ever listend to the difference? It's HUGE! Perhaps on something like a snare drum or tom toms, this isn't so noticeable. But with any bodhrán I've played from any maker in any location, true natural skin beats the synthetic stuff hands down any day of the week. The tone simply isn't there in the syn. heads. In fact, I'd say in many cases it's even more lifeless than the pizza box!
buddhu wrote:The good synthetics are surprisingly close to the sound of a real skin - not the same, but better than I expected. I'd say the only reason to go for synthetic over skin is if you are a veggie, as I am - no meat, no leather.
Again...no comparison - not even the same instrument as far as tone in my experience.
buddhu wrote:If you're an omnivore go for a tuneable drum with a good heavy skin. A fairly deep rim is better than a shallow one as it leaves more room for damping and control of the sound with your left hand (assuming you're right handed). Single strut or crosspiece is a matter of personal preference. If you're going to play standing up then a crosspiece is more practical. Avoid most Spanish, Mid-East and Pakistani drums as the skins tend to be poor quality.
Heavy skins don't always mean "better tone" as has been stated earlier in this thread. Deeper rims will offer more resonance in the tone, as will larger diameter rims. There is a practical limit to how far you'll want to go in either direction though. Crossbars are more a hinderance to most players than anything else. If you need to stand, I've seen musicians use a guitar strap to hold the drum up. Otherwise, just play it sitting down with the drum on your leg.
buddhu wrote:...When people talk about testing frequencies and tuning with scopes and tuners my eyes glaze over - Jesus, it's not an orchestra we're trying to harmonise here... if yr ears ain't up to it perhaps you shouldn't be a musician.

Spending hundreds of pounds on an instrument for playing good traditional folkie, jiggy, reely dance music is mad. Mad, I tell you...
You know it doesn't take a PhD in ethnic musicology to understand the subtle differences between a pizza box (or it's bodhrán cousin) to say one of Rob's drums. Believe it or not, you don't need a scope, or a probe, or your high school band instructor to tell your ears what they're hearing. Bad is still bad, wether you're playing live, for a studio recording , a session or whatever. It's insulting to your listeners if you just 'assume' they won't be able to tell the difference because they aren't trad. musicians.

lollycross wrote:Hi guys,
Yes, we have a drummer in Reno...he hits the drum about 1/32nd after
the beat...no one can use him. And there is only one old drum for sale here, all dried out and dusty.
So I will have to go elsewhere.
Why do I NEED a drum....the album is mostly jigs and reels and has
"no bottom sound" and sounds "empty" without a drum in it, thats why :lol:
I'm the only member of my group from here too; the others are from
various So. Calif. places. There are plenty of Irish here; but yet not
Irish musicians that are any good.
Thanks for all your comments,
Lolly
Hey Lolly,

I'm not *that* far from you. If you seriously need a drummer that badly I'd be willing to drive out there and help you out. (Salt Lake's only about 7-8 hours drive...about the same for me as Denver) I've got several drums (all natrual skin and all tuneable) that would work to fill a variety of sounds. We can talk about gas money etc. off list if you're really interested. Right now would be a good time for me to do this too. Drop me an email if you're at all interested.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Rando7 wrote:
The main advantage is...............etc, etc.
Thanks, Rando, that's what I needed to know.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

If you play under lights that will affect the drum's tuning. If you play anyplace that has weather of any kind that will affect tuning. If you travel when you play that will affect tuning. There are one or two reasons to go tuneable. :wink:
Last edited by Brian Lee on Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Brian Lee wrote:
If you play under lights that will affest the drum's tuning. If you play anyplace that has weather of any kind that will affect tuning. If you travel when you play that will affect tuning. There are one or two reasons to go tuneable. :wink:
Thanks, Brian. :)

--Plato
RobBBQ
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

If you're going to get a drum, get a tuneable one. Skins change tension with the weather (humidity and temperature), in some cases drastically. Rather than wetting and drying the skin over and over, having a tuning system allows for quick adjustment and play. Same with tuneable vs. Non-tuneable whistles or flutes.

Its an interesting thread here (but good in a way) because it appears that there is a group of writers without so much experience with thee drum, and another group with an enormous amount. In that way, it may be sort of difficult to calibrate to who to pay attention to. I would suggest to all (as a maker and player since I can remember) that listening to people like Chris and Paul will do you a world of good, esp if your experience is limited.

Cheers!
Rob