If you could spend a maximum of 1000 EUR on a flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maracirac »

i think that gilles lehart will be good choice for you (and maker is in france, europe). his keyless cost 540 euros and around 7 months waiting list. recently, 2 weeks ago i got from him 5 keyed blackwood flute for 925 euros. strong, complex sound, nice look, all good for that flute.
i played a little also hamilton flute, also nice sound, slightly more robust look than lehart, but also will be good choice.
thomas aebi, as europian maker is also be good choice, but he is more expensive than two previous makers. his keyless cost around 950 euros , i think.
marin
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, I'd recommend a keyless Tom Aebi. Prehaps not the cheapest at around 900 euros, but Tom is obviously an excellent craftsman who knows what he is doing. Coming from pipe making he is making fine instruments. If I hadn't been lucky enough to get my Wilkes I'd have ordered an Aebi keyless. It's said that Tom's flutes are the most like Wilke's as regards quailty and playability. Tom's waiting list for a keyless is a matter of months not years. He also seems to be a very nice person and very organised. He has a very fine catalogue he sends via e-mail
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

jim stone wrote:
Leonard wrote:Henke, I would say that for a single note, both flute develop quite the same volume but the Copley produces such a clearer sound and is so easier to play that it ends up playing a lot louder, in a session or through a mic.

On the Seery, it's harder to keep a regular flow of air (or maybe it demands more air).

My thoughts anyway!
Second this.
Third it, and I'd also add that the Copley plays much better at very low volumes as well.

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I like the Seery fine and use it on the street.
I don't see it as an attempt to compete
with Copleys, which are simply better, and more expensive, flutes,
IMO, but which of course lack the rough and ready
character of delrin. Best
Dominic Allan

Post by Dominic Allan »

Steampacket wrote:Yes, I'd recommend a keyless Tom Aebi. Prehaps not the cheapest at around 900 euros, but Tom is obviously an excellent craftsman who knows what he is doing. Coming from pipe making he is making fine instruments. If I hadn't been lucky enough to get my Wilkes I'd have ordered an Aebi keyless. It's said that Tom's flutes are the most like Wilke's as regards quailty and playability. Tom's waiting list for a keyless is a matter of months not years. He also seems to be a very nice person and very organised. He has a very fine catalogue he sends via e-mail
Did he once work for Andreas Rogge?
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Did he once work for Andreas Rogge?"

Yes, for a few years, then he moved back to Switzerland. I remember Rogge had a couple of Tom's flutes for sale when he was over at some tionol in the US some years ago and people were raving over them - this was maybe 1997 or 1998?
Dominic Allan

Post by Dominic Allan »

Wow!!, my small world just got a little smaller! The last time I saw him was about 1997/1998, he said: "I'm going to start a flute business,"
I guess he did!
I remember being impressed with his piping too.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I have a Martin Doyle that is really first rate. He should be well within your price range without much of a wait (if any).

Doc
David Levine

Martin Doyle flutes

Post by David Levine »

Martin Doyle makes great flutes. For less than 1,000 Euros. Dollar per decibel this is the best. Great big sound, easy to blow, perfectly in tune. All Ireland player Fergus O'Gorman played one in this years Fleadh.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Since you want to stick with EU makers, Copley won't be for you. I personally have never played a Doyle, but I've owned two Cotters (one keyless and one six-key) and they were excellent players. EXCEPTIONALLY well-suited to Irish trad stuff.

So, I'd give his stuff a try m'self.

Look here for contact information for all the people we're talking about.

Oh, yeah, if you're not as concerned about a wait . . . don't forget Mr. Tom Aebi!

Kirjoittellaan . . .

Stuart
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

sturob wrote:Oh, yeah, if you're not as concerned about a wait . . . don't forget Mr. Tom Aebi!
But Switzerland isn't in the EU either... :(
sturob

Post by sturob »

Oh, crap! You're right. I forgot about sticking with the EU.

Stuart
Markus

Post by Markus »

Hi,

I want to thank you guys for all the info so far. I think I'm starting to have a sort of an idea of what to do. Right now i'm balancing between Cotter and Lehart. What I'd like to know now is which one of those would be better for my style of playing, which is influenced both by the northern rhythmic players (Harry Bradley, Gary Hastings, Desi Wilkinson, etc...) and by the piper-esque -ish style of Matt Molloy and his followers? I'm trying to find some sort of synthesis between them.

Markus
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Markus wrote:Hi,

I want to thank you guys for all the info so far. I think I'm starting to have a sort of an idea of what to do. Right now i'm balancing between Cotter and Lehart. What I'd like to know now is which one of those would be better for my style of playing, which is influenced both by the northern rhythmic players (Harry Bradley, Gary Hastings, Desi Wilkinson, etc...) and by the piper-esque -ish style of Matt Molloy and his followers? I'm trying to find some sort of synthesis between them.

Markus
So far I have not had the pleasure of playing a Lehart flute - will be soon though, I have a Lehart Bb coming up in a few weeks.
That said, from your description above I'd say you'd be very pleased with the Cotter flute. He makes a powerfull stick with a rather large bore that can really be pushed and puffed.
Harry Bradley played a Cotter Eb on his 'Horseshoe Bends' CD.
Mike McGoldrick played a Lehart on his 'Morning Rory' CD - which gives the impression of a more responsive flute and more 'laser-like' tone.

In the end, of course, it is mostly the player that makes the sound.

Cheers and good luck with your choice.
Jeroen
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Re: I love...

Post by Tradman »

BillG wrote:
Tradman wrote:I love my George Ormond, and since some people have overlooked the value of his flutes, a good one can be had for $500-$800 USD easily.

Eric
Did you mean George Ormiston? I ran a google on Ormond and came up with a bunch of death notices (1774 included) but no flute maker. If Ormond is correct, does he have a web site?

BillG
Yes, I beg for forgivness...I live not too far from 'Ormand' Beach and I've been extremely tired lately....Sorry! :-)