Burns flute for sale--SOLD

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Burns flute for sale--SOLD

Post by tin tin »

Update: The flute has been sold.

I've just received word from Dave Copley that my mopane 6-key is ready, so I am offering my Casey Burns ergonomic standard keyless mopane flute for sale. This is an all-wood flute (no rings or slide), chestnut-brown in color with a lovely dark grain pattern.
I've been playing this flute almost daily for 6 months (I am the original owner). It is capable of a wide range of tonal colors and has a very warm, woody sound. Response to tonguing and finger articulation is quick. Volume-wise, it fares well in a session of moderate size. It has a comfortable finger stretch and medium-sized tone holes.
The flute has been carefully and fully broken in and has been carefully cared for (including regular applications of almond oil). It's in excellent condition and resides comfortably in a foam-lined plastic pistol case.
I'm asking $380 including shipping in the US.
If interested, please email mbswiss AT hotmail.com.
Micah
Last edited by tin tin on Fri May 07, 2004 10:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rev. Ceg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Burns keyless mopane flute for sale

Post by Rev. Ceg »

Micah wrote:my Casey Burns ergonomic standard keyless mopane flute
Even though I couldn't buy this flute I would appreciate seeing a pic of this flute. I'm allergic to almond.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Rev. Ceg wrote:Even though I couldn't buy this flute I would appreciate seeing a pic of this flute. I'm allergic to almond.
Check with someone who knows for sure, but i think it should be easy to remove the almond oil using alcohol or acetone, then you could quickly apply some other kind of oil you're not allergic to.

Or you could try a good plastic flute.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Rev. Ceg

Post by Rev. Ceg »

glauber wrote:
Rev. Ceg wrote:Even though I couldn't buy this flute I would appreciate seeing a pic of this flute. I'm allergic to almond.
Check with someone who knows for sure, but i think it should be easy to remove the almond oil using alcohol or acetone, then you could quickly apply some other kind of oil you're not allergic to.

Or you could try a good plastic flute.

g
I'll look into that. I've got a small collection of flutes here...metal, wood, bamboo, crystal, even a jade. I haven't tried plastic yet.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This is, in fact, a very nice flute at a good price,
and I do think you can get the Almond Oil off
it, as mentioned. I've played these; quite likeable.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Rev. Ceg wrote:I've got a small collection of flutes here...metal, wood, bamboo, crystal, even a jade. I haven't tried plastic yet.
This thread
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?p=216998
discusses the 2 main plastic "Irish" flutes (Seery and M&E). McGee makes plastic flutes on demand too, for a ton more money. The other model is the Dixon, which i particularly don't like (but others do). I have a traditional M&E with split embochure that i like a lot.

Back to almond: my experience with acetone is that it removes the surface oil quickly, leaving the wood very dry. You should apply some other kind of oil or finish soon thereafter, to protect the wood. Many different kinds of natural and mineral oil can be used. I don't know anything about allergies, though, so i won't even try to suggest another kind of oil.

Casey's flutes are very good, and the mopane wood is pretty.

In your line of work, you should also check the "Praise Whistlers" forum! ;)
(Google for it)

g
--Wellsprings--
Dana

Post by Dana »

Rev. Ceg

Post by Rev. Ceg »

Thanks...I've marked a couple of the sites for later perusal.
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Thanks, Dana, for posting the Praisewhistlers site! That's fantastic! I didn't know it existed.

Jeanie :D
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

We use acetone on intruments quite a bit. It is fine on some instruments and problematic on others, because it can leech the natural color from certain woods, leaving the flute discolored or multi-shaded :( Best to test a small area on a tenon or socket before applying to the more visible areas of the instrument. As Glauber mentioned, one should oil the wood after applying acetone.

Painthinner is another option, it tends to be a little less harsh and is less likely to cause discoloration. Look for the odorless stuff.

Loren
BillG

Post by BillG »

I find it makes a difference which kind of Almond Oil you use. At first I was using the medicinal, cosmetic kind and found it to tickle my lips - not in a pleasant way. I discovered it on my Casey Burns Boxwood flute. I switched over to salad/cooking type Almond Oil and mixed in a jelled cap of Vitamin E for a preservative (not sure it needs it though). I keep it stored in the fridge. In the second application - quickly applied to prevent tickle - the stinging/ticklilng sensation was gone. I would think it might do the same on Mopane although it is a tad harder wood.

Give it a go.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Rev. Ceg

Post by Rev. Ceg »

BillG wrote:I find it makes a difference which kind of Almond Oil you use.
My problem is that when I had chemotherapy, they just about killed me with serious overdosing of the chemo drugs. One of the drugs used was a derivative of almonds. One of the other drugs was a derivative of walnuts. To this day I still have serious reactions to anything with almond or walnut products...in a matter of minutes it will blister and peel the meat off the inside of my mouth...roof of my mouth, gums, lips. Not fun.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Rev. Ceg wrote:To this day I still have serious reactions to anything with almond or walnut products...in a matter of minutes it will blister and peel the meat off the inside of my mouth...roof of my mouth, gums, lips. Not fun.
Yikes!

In your case, I'd stay away from anything that even touched almond oil at any time. Even with the acetone, you'll never get it all out, and it will slowly leach out over time. Your safest bet would be to get the flute directly from the maker, with strict instructions that almond oil never be used anywhere near it.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
glauber

Post by glauber »

The more i think about this, Rev, the more i think you should consider a plastic flute. No need worrying about oils. Accepting plastic as a suitable alternative to wood may be a bit of a challenge to some. If you're concerned about historical authenticity, there's always ebonite! But seriously, M&E/Seery for an entry level flute, or a McGee if the offertory's been good.
--Wellsprings--
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Allergies to nuts and pulses are common and can be life-threatening. Playing a nice wooden flute is important, but not that important. You might have mentioned it, I'm not sure, but bamboo doesn't require oil and there are some seriously good bamboo flutes around which cost very little for what you get. Try an Olwell, and if the stretch on a D is bit much, try an Eb or F.