OT for the Old Folks on the Board

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
markv
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by markv »

vomitbunny wrote:17. But I came from a small town in the sticks, so my score is probably inflated a notch or two.
Ditto.

I got twelve and I'm only 32.

Mark V.

P.S Until we got a new fridge 4 years ago we were still using a metal ice cube tray with the handle. Now we can get crushed ice through the door. Used to be a platic bag and a hammer was needed.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
DebbieM
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by DebbieM »

:o Ooooh!! 17! I guess I'm older than I wanted to admit! Time for a face-lift, or some kind of tuck, or a nap, or something! Maybe just a nap -- I'm suddenly feeling very old and tired. :sleep:

Debbie
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I remember virtually all of that but I never heard of Blackjack gum. My dad was a milk delivery man and I used to help out delivering the milk bottles. How about a hamburger, french fries and a chocolate malt after the basketball game for about 75 cents? My first record album wasn't 45s though. It was 78s. I also had some original Count Basie and Chick Webb with Ella Fitzgerald on 78s. My uncle gave them to me.

Steve
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I remember my grandmother having a wring washer. And outhouses.
I would not like to trade now for then though. Now, the 70's, that might be another matter. The 70's were cool. it was befor the Moral Majority Do Gooders ruined the world and got everyone bent out of shape over pretty much nothing. (I remember when it was normal to go out and get drunk after the senior prom. Of course, now it's an OUTRAGE AND SOMETHING MUST BE DONE RIGHT NOW! I remember when "kids will be kids" and most everyone grew out of that stage,and a lot of them that didn't were given the option of going into the military, and that straightened them out. But now, pretty much any little offense IS AND OUTRAGE AND I DEMAND SOMETHING BE DONE ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW!! NO MILITARY FOR YOU! GO STRAIGHT TO ADULT PRISON WHERE YOU GET PASSED AROUND LIKE CURRANCY!! I remember you could stop by the beer joint, drink a couple, and then drive home. No big deal. Of course, now, YOU ARE A HURTLING MISSILE OF DEATH AND THAT IS AN OUTRAGE AND I DEMAND SOMETHING BE DONE ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW!!!

Hey, when we were kids, we put cherry bombs in mail boxes, bought beer under age, smoked dope, and generally did other minor stuff like that, and no body got too upset because they knew the vast majority of us would grow out of most of it, and it would be no big deal. Now, of course, we have zero tolerance, road blocks, urine test, background checks, and teach "abstinance only".
Anyone besides me NOT feel any safer or more wholesome?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I got a 14. I'm 35. Then again, I grew up in Georgia. Granted, it was in Atlanta, but whenever you went a little farther from the city you went back in time. So, although we never had metal ice cube trays with levers, I knew people who did.

:-)
Steven
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I got 23. Some of it is certainly the era in which we grew up, but some is also where we grew up. As I read Susan's post I remembered that my cousins lived more like she did than I did at the time. And some of those I never saw while growing up in California, but only when I visited my cousins in the South.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

How about this geezer quiz:

1) You remember the smell of Dentyne cinnamon chewing-gum
2) When it's time to eat, someone claps his hands and calls "boy?"
3) There are no air conditioners, and everyone sleeps under a mosquito screen.
4) Dad stands before the tiger he shot, and this is socially more than ok...
5) Next day he offers you a glassful of a deer's steaming blood, and this is PC too, except you puke. Incidentally, you learn you're probably a sissy.
6) A liner aircraft has a triple fin and you later learn it's from Lockheed.
7) The short-haul plane kind is easy to spot: it has a few less propellers and fins and sits on its tail wheel.
8) Everyone at home listens to Satchmo's last 78 rpm, just released.
9) Your motorcycle dream brand is Velocette.
10) You still nick a fast driver "Fangio"
11) Mom calls the fridge a "Frigidaire"
12) Dad calls the jeep a "Willys"
13) Baden Powell is NOT a Brasilian guitarist but an old chap in short pants. Here, "short" means up to the knees.
14) Beside the "short" pants, a British policeman wears a strange black beard and a turban, as a rule. Later, you see it change but "Sikh humour" gets fashionable.
15) You have to relearn your geography: most great cities in the world changed names, but you still say "Pekin". Most African countries changed too.
Last edited by Zubivka on Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan

Post by Stan »

What a bunch of young pups !
I can remember ration stamps/tokens
that were used during WW II
A score of 25 was easy for this ole cat.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I got 18 out of 25 and I'm 39. But a good portion of my childhood was in the sticks in N.W. Pennsylvania, so that explains a lot.

Robin
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Stan wrote:What a bunch of young pups !
I can remember ration stamps/tokens
that were used during WW II
A score of 25 was easy for this ole cat.
So how about milkweed pods in gunny sacks hanging out on a farmer's fence to dry?

Steve
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:I got 18 out of 25 and I'm 39. But a good portion of my childhood was in the sticks in N.W. Pennsylvania, so that explains a lot.

Robin
I also got 18 out of 25, and I'll be 39 on this Sunday. I grew up in the hills of east Tennessee, and spent a lot of time at my grandparents' place in the Blue Ridge Mtns of North Carolina, so I guess that explains my score.

Living out here in the Pacific NW now, I find that I really miss Moon Pies and RC Cola. (RC Cola in a bottle, that is.)

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

24 was my score. I have never heard of Black Jack gum. But I never chewed gum. My phone number was Wisconsin 9145. But if it was a local call you just needed to dial the 9145. 45 rpm records were those new things. 78 rpm were the records I bought. I had a large collection of Bing Crosby, Pops Whiteman, and Spike Jones. I had a 1947 Studebaker Champ with Weiand polished aluminum High Compression Heads and dual carb manifold with 2 Carter carbs. Our house also was covered with asbestos shingles. One of the local streams was an open sewer because raw sewage was emptied into it. Not everything was great in the good old days.

Ron
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

25 of 25 - fossilized dirt.

And may you rot in New jersey for pointing it out. :D
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

I didn’t even bother to count. Let’s just say that I remember a lot of them.

I grew up in a little town in Northeast Missouri, and I remember when my grandparents lived in the country and had the crank wooden telephone hanging on the wall. It was a party line and the phone would ring whenever anyone on their line was receiving a call. Each party on the line had a distinctive ring so they would know who was being called (e.g. two longs and a short, for example). If you stood under the telephone line as it stretched down the rural dirt road you could actually hear the conversations; hence the term, “singing wires.” I guess this was largely due to the lack of insulation in the wires. This raises another item that wasn’t on the list: telephone poles and electric poles and their wires stretching down the streets.

In town, we had a black telephone without the push buttons or rotary dial. You picked up the receiver and told the operator the number you wanted to call. I remember my dad’s business telephone number was “2”. I don’t know who “1” was. :)

Will O’Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I loved the smell of Mimeograph paper.
Mmmmm Black Jack gum... Clove gum too!
They often have 'nostalgia' gum for sale when Halloween candy hits the stores.

I remembered all of 'em, either through my older brother or directly.

Remember the first 'magic markers' ??
They came in small glass bottles with metal caps and the wick fed through a metal tube in the middle of the cap. You could unscrew the cap and refill the ink from larger metal cans.