Quiet whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Grixxly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Quiet whistle?

Post by Grixxly »

All,

Could someone recommend a quite whistle? I mostly play flute but would like to have a whistle I can play at lunch time when I go outside. I'm a poor player so I'd kind of like a quite one so no one can hear me. :oops:

Thanks,
Tony
Stu H

Post by Stu H »

ALBA Q1
ALBA Q1
ALBA Q1
ALBA Q1

Honestly try one of these little beautys - they are amazing!
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
rkottke

Post by rkottke »

The Whistle Shop has instructions on making a muffler for a tweaked orginal Clarke whistle. http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... uffler.htm
nashradus
antispam: No

Re: Quiet whistle?

Post by nashradus »

Grixxly wrote:All,

Could someone recommend a quite whistle? I mostly play flute but would like to have a whistle I can play at lunch time when I go outside. I'm a poor player so I'd kind of like a quite one so no one can hear me. :oops:

Thanks,
Tony
Definitely Mack Hoover's whitecap! The WC on my Feadog D transformed a loud raspy-sounding whistle into a sweet quiet treasure. And priced at $20, it's a must-have for someone looking for quiet whistle-playing.

~nash
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Tony,

you know your flutes will get jealous if you cheat on them...

Seriously, quiet is such a relative term since all whistles are more piercing than flute (unless you get a low one).

I like cheap whistles since I'm also primarily a flute guy, and I think the good old Clarke original is pretty quiet. For ease of carrying, the clare 2 piece is nice since it will fit in your front pocket, but mine has slightly off tuning which is driving me nuts. However, I've seen other folks say theirs had spot on tuning so I may have one that's not representative.

I have a Walton's Mellow D and an Oak D coming from Whistle and Drum on Monday so I'll see how loud those are then, but I seem to recall many years back an Oak I had could be played quite quietly.

Eric
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Hoovers are pretty quiet. The feadogs I have are extra quiet too, but they've been tweaked. Dixon? Dixons are quiet and you could get one pretty quickly too.
Oh, and most whistles can be tweaked quiet with a piece of scotch tape. The dixon puts up with that really well, better than the gen style tubes.
The clarke tapes up pretty good too. I like taping over part of the windway better than sticking things into the windway. Easier, and doesn't change the breath requirement as much.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

It seems so sad to feel constrained to play quietly. However, if it must be, consider the Oak. Sometimes they require a little tweaking in order to play right, but their beautiful, silvery tone is unparalled among 'quiet' whistles, IMHO.
Grixxly

Post by Grixxly »

I have an Oak D now. It's kind of a bear for me to play... much different air requirements than the Hammy. :)

When you say tape the windway, is that the window part or where you blow in?

Thanks,
Tony
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

The quietest whistle I have ever owned (still do) is my Weston Whistle High D. It is even quieter than the brass Hoover I used to have. It barely takes ANY air to play and that MAY be one of its only faults. It is tunable too.

www.westonwhistles.co.uk

Tell 'im NorCal sent you....
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Darwin

Re: Quiet whistle?

Post by Darwin »

nashradus wrote:
Grixxly wrote:All,

Thanks,
Tony
Definitely Mack Hoover's whitecap! The WC on my Feadog D transformed a loud raspy-sounding whistle into a sweet quiet treasure. And priced at $20, it's a must-have for someone looking for quiet whistle-playing.
Ditto for my Whitecap Feadog.

I also have a Whitecap Aluminum in A which is pretty quiet, and has the added advantage of being in a less piercing key.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Grixxly wrote:I have an Oak D now. It's kind of a bear for me to play... much different air requirements than the Hammy. :)
If you're looking for something that's quiet and takes some air, the Clarke original is definitely the way to go. Most of the others mentioned take very little air.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Is Noah Herbison still making Laughing whistles? They are the quietest whistles on the planet.
~JessieD
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

JessieK wrote:Is Noah Herbison still making Laughing whistles? They are the quietest whistles on the planet.
His site is still up at http://members.tripod.com/nherbison/ (with lots of nice popups from tripod.com).
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Chas Zee

Post by Chas Zee »

Noah Herbison made a Laughing Whistle in E for me several months ago. It has a sweet soft tone with good intonation, a great second octave, and that telescope design is very cool. The only negative is the windway seems to clog easier than most. Oh, and the C natural (actually D natural in the key of E) needs an alternate fingering. But I like the whistle a lot.

Charlie
Chas Zee

Post by Chas Zee »

Noah Herbison made a Laughing Whistle in E for me several months ago. It has a sweet soft tone with good intonation, a great second octave, and that telescope design is very cool. The only negative is the windway seems to clog easier than most. Oh, and the C natural (actually D natural in the key of E) needs an alternate fingering. But I like the whistle a lot.

Charlie