For Sale : Chieftain Low F

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: relax!

Post by Bloomfield »

Talbert, I think you are having trouble with this message board thing. Your are ticking people off right and left, and there is no need to. Perhaps it's time develop some online-skills. ;)

I am going to show you how some of your posts come across. If you want to know what I think about the substance of your posts, drop a pm.
talbert st.claire wrote:Relax Peter :wink: . I'm definitely not going to turn this positive thread into something negative!
You already did turn it into something negative with your previous post about who gets to have an opinion here and who doesn't. And what exactly was positive about the thread before that comment? You trying very hard to get rid of one of your Chieftain whistles?
talbert st.claire wrote:I was just speaking from stark experience trying to assist the person who initially asked. Nothing more.

Well, nothing more apart from about 3 plugs for Chieftain whistles when the person who initially asked said they wanted an Overton.
talbert st.claire wrote:Why not look at my statement as coming from an experienced player?
Perhaps your statement was particularly offensive coming from an experienced player? I don't recall other experienced players coming through here telling the great mob of c&f amateurs that they aren't entitled to an opinion. (Only Mike Kellhorn did something of the sort, and it wasn't very well received at the time.)
talbert st.claire wrote:I have a DEEP passion for these instruments!
Like you're the only one here? On chiff & fipple? LOL.
talbert st.claire wrote:My thoughts are at times a little direct maybe because of this passion! Again, its nothing personal.
It's odd that you say "it's nothing personal" after getting personal:
talbert st.claire wrote:Bloomfield,
(...)
You mentioned that you have tried a Chieftain Low Whistle. But are you a professional player? Then, my advice would be to you is before you post something like that please have "complete knowlege" of both instruments beforehand.
In fact, if I see this right, you were the only one getting personal. If you did not mean to get personal, think of how express yourself better.
talbert st.claire wrote:There is an aweful lot of experience on this board!
Right. Are you backpedaling from telling people not to voice opinions about whistles unless they are professional recording artists?
talbert st.claire wrote:Many people have many good things to say about whistle's and such.
Are you saying only good things should be said on the chiffboard, and not bad things?
talbert st.claire wrote:However, I allow others to express themselves I deserve the same.
That's the point, isn't? You are complaining about not being permitted to express your opinion after posting this:
talbert st.claire wrote:... Then, my advice would be to you is before you post something like that please have "complete knowlege" of both instruments beforehand.
The way that comes across is that you are demanding the right to express yourself here in your passionate (is that a euphemism for insensitive?) way, while at the same time telling people not to disagree with you unless they have what you consider "complete knowledge."
talbert st.claire wrote:O.k. view me as you very well please! I have just tried to explain myself. I will not attempt this again. Perhaps, you are not listening properly?

The best thing to do is simply let it go and move on!!! Can you try that?
Sure, moving on is a good idea. Listening properly is an even better idea. And I think burnsbyrne was listening properly when he heard you pulling rank and authority and backing up your opinions with a lot of exclamation points, a fondness for Phil Hardy, and a desire to trade your Chieftain low d. So, before you move on, think a bit about how what you type comes across, and become a bit more sensitive to who people on the board are, what they post and why, and especially what they leave unsaid and why.

So, I hope you appreciate the time I took to give a peak in the mirror. (Again, if you want to know what I think about your telling me that I am not qualified to have an opinion on Overtons & Chieftains, you'll have to pm me.)
/Bloomfield
timgreenwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

chieftain vs overron

Post by timgreenwood »

ok, 1) i'm sticking to the overton low d. i've tried both & just prefer it to the chieftain. thanks anyway talbert.

2) jesus!! can you people stop bitching at each other !!!
they should rename this thing 'the chiff & fipple bitching, sniping & miscelleneous complaints board'. music is an almost completely subjective experience & everyone has the right to express their opinion without being crucified for not being a pro!!

3) before you all chew my arse for this one...it's only an opinion, which can be valued or dicarded as you see fit!

:twisted:
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

talbert st.claire wrote:
You mentioned that you have tried a Chieftain Low Whistle. But are you a professional player?
Talbert, unless you are a professional typist, it might be better to handwrite your posts in the future.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
emmline

Post by emmline »

:roll:

Uh...hey everybody! There's some great pics on the behemoth thread.
(and Colombian coffee on the veranda...)
glauber

Post by glauber »

Peter Laban wrote:
talbert st.claire wrote: You mentioned that you have tried a Chieftain Low Whistle. But are you a professional player? Then, my advice would be to you is before you post something like that please have "complete knowlege" of both instruments beforehand. Best,Talbert
Godallfeckingmighty :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Ah, don't stop now. It was just getting fun. :D
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

I consider myself a professional player (as in, that's what I do for a living), here's my "professional" opinion.

don't let anyone tell you what whistle is best for you, it's very much a matter of personal choice. if you play a chieftain and then play an overton and like the overton better than that's the best whistle for you until you find one you like even more. me? I don't like either, I'll stick with my copeland, but then I like that flutey sound more than lots of chiff and back pressure, but I can understand what it is about overtons that people like.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Then there's the "OT-Political" thread to get a rest from these heated instruments-related threads.
Join the old chaps' smoking room, have a dunhillfull and a claret, mention the weather, casually read the news aloud, gossip on who's going out with whom, tidbits, la-la-lah... :sleep: