Choosing a low d

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Get over it, Talbert. There are many people on this board who "understand" low whistles. Just because they don't all agree that Chieftains are the top of the line, doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. They just don't agree with you. That also doesn't mean they're knocking Phil's whistles. They just don't agree.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Personally I prefer Chieftain low Ds to Overtons,
but I do think my view is a minority one.
Copelands are the best, IMO.
Above all, no matter who you are, your
opinion is your opinion. A lot of people
here have played for years and have every
right to say what they think. The response
that their views matter less because
they're not professionals is simply
arrogant. Pride goeth before a brawl. Best
Talbert St. Claire
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

The last thing that I am going to do is backdown from anyone on this board! They do not have to agree with me. I'll say it again as I feel that that's the norm here at times. A number of you people just do not understand when to let something ( someones comment ) go simply because it's that individuals opinion's! People just do not listen(SUSNFX)!

Some people want to see others get hammered posting negative things on the forum about them. Beginner or advanced, I could care less about which class you are in! I have said it MANY times in my posts that others have good thoughts as well! Yet, you punish me for my thoughts.

There is a good number of people who play the Low Whistles fairly. That's great! That's not the issue here. The issue is that some individuals are real asses here! That's my point. You obviously yourself still do not get it.

Some of you guys sound like a bunch of ANGRY people! You dont appreciate a damn thing that anyone does. Now i'm through with all this negative B.S. I'll save my future posts for something more positive and encouraging which i'm also very good at! Most who have read my posts and have heard my music will tell you i'm extremely positively, gifted! Some of you can't seem to handle that so you act like asses! You don't know when to back off!!!!

P.S. I'M RECEIVEING EMAIL MESSAGES VIA MY WEB. MEMBERS ARE TELLING ME TO AVOID THESE NEGATIVE COMMENTS TOWARDS ME. THEY APPRECIATE THE HARD WORK I'V PUT INTO MY MUSIC AS WELL AS MY POSSITIVE THOUGHTS TOWARDS OTHERS ON THIS BOARD.SHARING! THINGS W/ OTHERS!
Last edited by Talbert St. Claire on Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Talbert, this is a short thread so far and yet you used the word ass(es) four times. :o

let's just all drop this thread.

By the powers vested in me I hereby lock this thread.
:roll:
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Done!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

DONE!!! I'm all for PEACE. However, I don't like to be intimidated by other board members. This was one time I had alot to say concerning the bull coming from others, and said it!
Last edited by Talbert St. Claire on Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

TAL!
how did you do that?
I mean...the thread was locked!!
hey, how did I do this myself... :-?
:D
jking

Post by jking »

this is from a previous post i wrote........

I recently recieved an email from a person asking for reviews on low d's that i have owned or played. After i had sent it of to that person i thought it might be helpful to post it here so others could take a look if interested and could also add there 2 cents as well.

Overton..Definately one of my favourite low d's. They are nice and loud (a great session whistle). Once they are warm they have a very fast response time of. Possibly the fastest of any low d i've played. The nice thing about these is there is a good amount of back pressure when you blow. This enables you to really lean into it if you want. Its a great whistle for triplets etc. The one draw back is being aluminum it takes a bit of warming up to play perfect pitch. This is something you will find with alot of metal whistles, especially low d's.

Kerry pro low d. ...This is another favourite low d. Made by Phil hardy who also produces Chieftain whistles. As with the Overton this is currently a low d favoured by alot of professional players. It has an external cork tuning slide and is slightly more mellow than the overton and an easier to attain the higher register. It doesnt quite have the bite to it like the overton but the overall eveness is more consistant in volume. Once again takes a bit of warming up but as with most of the metal one's its worth the few minutes for the sound you get. This is still a good session low d in terms of volume.

Susato low d...This whistle seems to be made out of some sort of plastic. Susato's have had alot of varying reviews from people. In my opinion they have good bang for the buck. I do have fairly small hands but have had no problem playing it. This was also my very first low d and yes it takes time to get your fingers used to the stretch but with consistant practice one is able to break through the ache/pain barrier and have it feel natural to play piper style. (highly recommend this way of playing Low d whistles.) Susato's can be played fast but the one i have is not as loud the the previous mentioned low d's. There is little backpressure on these whistles.

Reyburn low d.... This is an absolute gem of a whistle for airs and slower tunes. It has a sound that is hard to describe. Its kind of a mix between whistle and pipe. Definately the most haunting sound of any low d i've played to date. The volume is on the quieter side and the version i recieved was not geared to fast paced playing although ive heard that Ronaldo the maker can make them somewhat to your specifations and speed/volume requirements. It has a wooden mouthpiece which feels very comfortable to play.

Original Chietain low d.... This is another Aluminium whistle. These chieftain's seem to have a similiar problem found with generation whistles. There are good ones and bad ones. Ive played a friends and was amazed at the sound and how well in tune it was. However i did order one after that and found it to be a completely differrent story. If i remember correctly i ended up sending it back...

New range Chieftain Kwl low d...........Now Phil Hardy has developed a new range chieftain Kwl version. I will go on record as saying it is probably one of the best low d's i have ever played. It has a depth of sound i have only found in Overtons but a balance over its entire range that to me is the best i've experianced so far.(High d no problem.) It is definately a session worthy low d and was played last week at the local session. A few other musicians did comment on how good the sound was. This is a substantial whistle and seems to be made of a thicker grade Aluminuim than the others. There is a nice amount of back pressure that suits my playing style and it can easily handle fast reels with ease.

Michael Burke al-pro low d.........This is another Aluminium low d. It comes in 3 pieces which is handy for storing or carrying in whatever case you have. It has the least amount of back pressure of any low d i have played. It does look to be one of the most proffessionally made whistles out there though. Its volume is moderate but not as loud as say the Overton or New range chieftain. It has a sort of reedy tone in the lower octave but changes to a sweet one in the higher. I have found it to take about as much air as the Susato but more than the other whistles mentioned. It does have a nice balance in both octaves. It can be played at a fair speed but found the lack of back pressure to effect the bite on triplets etc. (once again subject to playing style.)

These are just about all the low d whistles i have owned or played. Please keep in mind that these are only my opinions and im sure other peoples may vary. I think when buying a low d its important to know what sort of situation you want to play it in.Is it going to be solo, session,what size of average session do you usually attend etc. Also consider what category of tunes you want to play in. Some people just want a low d to play their favourite airs with . Other's myself included will play airs, jigs, reels on a low d. All these factors can narrow down what whistle is suitable for you. There is an abundance of choice out there.

Hope this helps.
Jason

p.s since then i have had more time playing my new range low d chieftain and have grown to love it even more. Hands down the top dog in my books.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

talbert st.claire wrote:The last thing that I am going to do is backdown from anyone on this board! They do not have to agree with me. I'll say it again as I feel that that's the norm here at times. A number of you people just do not understand when to let something ( someones comment ) go simply because it's that individuals opinion's! People just do not listen(SUSNFX)!

Some people want to see others get hammered posting negative things on the forum about them. Beginner or advanced, I could care less about which class you are in! I have said it MANY times in my posts that others have good thoughts as well! Yet, you punish me for my thoughts.

There is a good number of people who play the Low Whistles fairly. That's great! That's not the issue here. The issue is that some individuals are real asses here! That's my point. You obviously yourself still do not get it.

Some of you guys sound like a bunch of ANGRY people! You dont appreciate a damn thing that anyone does. Now i'm through with all this negative B.S. I'll save my future posts for something more positive and encouraging which i'm also very good at! Most who have read my posts and have heard my music will tell you i'm extremely positively, gifted! Some of you can't seem to handle that so you act like asses! You don't know when to back off!!!!

P.S. I'M RECEIVEING EMAIL MESSAGES VIA MY WEB. MEMBERS ARE TELLING ME TO AVOID THESE NEGATIVE COMMENTS TOWARDS ME. THEY APPRECIATE THE HARD WORK I'V PUT INTO MY MUSIC AS WELL AS MY POSSITIVE THOUGHTS TOWARDS OTHERS ON THIS BOARD.SHARING! THINGS W/ OTHERS!
The thing that cracks me up about the whole thing is that I phrased the post that started it all with uncharacteristic humility:
Bloomfield wrote:
talbert st.claire wrote:Hi Tim,

I do not have any Overton low d's but I do have some d's that are just as good!
I do have Overtons and I have not played a Chieftain that was just as good, for what that's worth. Get your Overton Low D, I'd say.
/Bloomfield
emmline

Post by emmline »

Talbert prefers Chieftains. Everyone is cool with that.
Bloomfield prefers Overtons. Everyone is, likewise, cool with that.

Talbert...at the risk of putting myself in the flak zone...do you understand that the reason Bloomfield is annoyed is NOT because you prefer Chieftains?
It's because you continue to imply that you have personal knowledge of other board members levels of experience. Have you heard Bloomfield play? Do you know how good/bad he is? Do you know how long he's been at it?
Please...in the interest of dousing this little conflagration...do not tell people that they are unqualified to have opinions. That's all.

Talbert: You are qualified. Ok. You play well. Ok.
But please give other folks the benefit of the doubt, and let those who are seeking advice take the advice they feel the most comfortable with.

Emily
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Zubivka wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:I am unfortunately not qualified to give you an opinion, but here it is anyway:
Ditto :D
So I'll just contradict Bloom on one point: I'm not sure he tried the new series of Chieftains, built from spring 2003. I suspect he didn't.
IMH-unqualified-O these are as consistent as any whistle line can be, and precisely because they are machine made. They differ from the former lines by a longer windway, and "ears" inside the window, sort of blocks each side of the whistle, so the inside of the pipe is squared as an Overton.)...
Good point. I haven't tried the new ones. (I've tried several of the other ones over the years, and some of them were nice whistles, I remember a low E in particular.) The "ears" sound interesting, because I've always felt that one reason for the unfocussed, murky sound of the Chieftains was the broad windway/blade, that caused the air and the sound to spill out the sides perhaps. Well, I'll look forward to trying one of the new ones when I run into someone who ownes one.
/Bloomfield
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've played a good number of chieftain low Ds,
and they sounded pretty much the same to me.
There was some variation, but not much.
I think I like the sound that some of you
describe as murky. They are finished less well
than Overtons, but I don't care. The Overton sound, the Cosmic
Drainpipe it's been called affectionately, is
one I like less well--I think it's the sort
of thing you like or don't. But there's no question
that more people like it than don't.

I think there's something quite nice about the
lower pitched Chieftain whistles, in a rough
and ready way. best
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Hi Ian,

Unlike many people who post to this forum, I don't have a lot of experience and don't play in public, let alone for money. (Unless I count the time when my wife offered me $10 to quit playing my whistle for the evening.) I do know what I like though. The only Low D I own is a Dixon, and I like it very much.

However, having said that, if I were to buy a Low D today, I'd probably buy a Hoover. I recently bought two Hoover aluminum/Whitecap whistles, a Low G and a Bb. They are both lovely whistles and a real deal for the money. I'd have to assume that a Hoover Low D would be just as well made and easy to play.

You don't really indicate your budget, except that a Copeland is out of reach. For the money, I don't think you can beat a whistle made by Mack Hoover.

This is my opinion YMMV.
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

You did say you wanted the best low d for a beginner right? Not the worst one?
Just checking.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

talbert st.claire wrote:The last thing that I am going to do is backdown from anyone on this board! They do not have to agree with me. I'll say it again as I feel that that's the norm here at times. A number of you people just do not understand when to let something ( someones comment ) go simply because it's that individuals opinion's! People just do not listen(SUSNFX)!

Talbert,

I am sorry but... you're the one here who sounds like you need some anger management. As well as a good dose of humility. I've read your posts and heard your music, and with all due respect, I've missed the "obvious" signs of gift you mention. Does that make me an ass?

Unless I am much mistaken, this thread deteriorated after one of YOUR posts. Until then, it was just people listing a variety of opinions, all of them valid and as far as I am concerned, all of them educated.
The fact that you have put out a couple of CDs does not make you more of an authority on Low Whistles than all the very well-versed amateurs here.

And by the way, I like Chieftains and happen to think Phil's jsut swell.

PT
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Bloomfield wrote:Good point. I haven't tried the new ones. (I've tried several of the other ones over the years, and some of them were nice whistles, I remember a low E in particular.) The "ears" sound interesting, because I've always felt that one reason for the unfocussed, murky sound of the Chieftains was the broad windway/blade, that caused the air and the sound to spill out the sides perhaps. Well, I'll look forward to trying one of the new ones when I run into someone who ownes one.
Got one a few months ago, so I assume it is one of the new generation Zoob mentioned. I quite like it, my only problem with it being I have to be very precise with the fifth hole, which is quite large.
Why don't you take a drive out to Jersey one of these days and take a look at it?
:)