Choosing a low d

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
friedrice
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Choosing a low d

Post by friedrice »

well, it's the obvious question. i've been playing whistle for about a year now, and love the range of low sounds. i'd like to be simple and start with a low d. i don't have very large hands, and that is really the only limit (other than i can't afford a copeland). other than that i'm prepared to shoulder the bill. any input you all could throw at me would be much appreciated. thanks a lot!
-Ian :)
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I am unfortunately not qualified to give you an opinion, but here it is anyway:

1. Stay away from the Susato. I don't say that because of the sound but because I think they are the most difficult whistle to finger.
2. Stay away from the Howard. Very tricky whistle to blow unless you are experienced.
3. If you buy a Chieftain, you're gambling. Some of them are good, some are not. Generally they tend to be unfocussed and a bit murky in sound. My impression is that they don't go through good quality control before they ship (they are entirely machined, not hand-produced).
4. Personal preferences will vary when it comes to Hoovers, Reyburns, Dixons, Burkes, Albas, and so forth.
5. My personal view: Buy an Overton. It's the most reliable and consistent low D out there with the best sound and the highest coolness factor. Not that they suit everybody, but they are the bar against which everything else is measured.
6. If you want to go cheap, get a Kerry rather than a Dixon, Susato, or Howard. But if you get any of those, you'll just end up wanting an Overton later. ;)
/Bloomfield
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Second bloomfield on the Overton. I've tried Burke, Howard (not bad for the money, but maybe I just got a good one), Susato, Dixon, Copeland and Reyburn, and liked the Overton the best.
Last edited by blackhawk on Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I've tried Susato, Dixon, Burke, Overton, Chieftain, and Copeland. I'd put the Copeland head and shoulders above all the rest except Burke. But that's just an opinion.

The Copeland has a sound unlike the rest that's a bit on the breathy and ethereal side. It's also got a very easy reach. The only downside to mine is that it can't really be pushed on the bellnote. Jim has said he could fix this, but the rest is just so perfect, I don't want to mess with it.

The Burke may be the easiest to play -- it has the strongest bottom of any low-D I've played, but you don't have to blow your brains out to reach the top of the range; the octave transition is extremely easy and predictable. Sound is not the classic low-whistle sound; there are fewer overtones.

The Overton doesn't take much air flow, but on the typical model, it takes a LOT of pressure to reach the higher notes. If you order one from Colin, he can make an easy blower, though. Of course, it has THE classic low-whistle sound.

I've played only a couple of Chieftains, and they were kind of like Overtons but less so.

Susatos and Dixons are both a little unstable toward the bottom. Very susceptible to octave flipping. The Susato also has the very large RH2 hole, which some find unwieldy. I like the overall playability better than the Dixon, though.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Copeland, Burke, or Overton.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I have tried Overton, Howard, Kerry, Jubilee, Susato Dublin, O'Briain, Hoover and Bleazey. ADD SHAW

Currently I own the Overton and the Bleazey. I REALLY like the way the Overton plays (just right for me in the backpressure and air requirements) and my wife, Renee, REALLY likes the way the Bleazey sings to her.

The others?
Susato required a lot of air and had a large finger spread.
Howard sounded a lot like my Bleazey, but was missing something. The finger spread was medium.
Kerry sounded a lot like my Overton, but required a lot more air and had a larger finger spread.
Jubilee had the smallest finger spread of any of them. Took quite a bit of air. Tone holes were small and prevented quite a bit in the way of half holing. For an $18 whistle you can't go wrong!!! You just have to learn how to breath deeply.
O'Briain had a much more pure tone than the Overton but required nearly twice the air. Medium spread again.
Hoover required the least ammount of air, but it was also quite sensitive in the control aspect. I did not have the patience to learn how to make it work. Decent finger spread on this one.

Like I said, I still have the Overton and the Bleazey. I want to try a Copeland and a Burke though.

EDIT

I almost forgot the Shaw low d I had. I had it less than a week. This one took even more air than the Jubillee. It had a very breathy, raspy voice as well. Jerry even tweaked it for me. Someone else on the list now has it and seems to like it. Not for me.
Last edited by IDAwHOa on Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Bloomfield wrote:I am unfortunately not qualified to give you an opinion, but here it is anyway:
Ditto :D
So I'll just contradict Bloom on one point: I'm not sure he tried the new series of Chieftains, built from spring 2003. I suspect he didn't.
IMH-unqualified-O these are as consistent as any whistle line can be, and precisely because they are machine made. They differ from the former lines by a longer windway, and "ears" inside the window, sort of blocks each side of the whistle, so the inside of the pipe is squared as an Overton.
It has a bit less back-pressure than a (standard) Overton, so it behaves (and sounds) less extreme.
This said, I agree one can't go wrong with an Overton either... eventhough I'm not sure of the consistency there, depending if you chose "easy-blow" or "easy-fingering". If you choose both option, then you may end up upgrading to a "pro" version just as well...

If you don't want machine-made whistles, get wood! Or find the crazed smith who's lathing his own alloy tubes from scratch :roll:
AFAIK, the only hand-made metal whistle tubes are from Copeland (and maybe Shaw).
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

IMUqO try a Copeland if you can afford it (or Grinter, ask Zub about Le Coant). Otherwise go for an Overton although you will eventually need both. :D

I haven't dabbled much in the cheaper range but Mr.Syn has a new low D on the way which would be worth watching out for. I haven't tried a Howard low D but I like the low C a lot and don't see how the D could be harder to play. The holes are a bit big so that might be a problem. Brian Howard keeps improving his mouthpieces and I suspect some who've had problems have probably only tried older mouthpieces.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I'll give my usual recommendation to beginning low whistle players:

Get a Dixon

It's got a very short reach, takes very little air to play and is, in short, the easiest to play low whistle I have ever tried.

No, it isn't the ultimate low D, but most Dixons play really well and since they're cheap, they are ideal for a beginner who wants to test the waters without investing too much. Despite owning (and having sold) dozens of low Ds, I still hang on to my Dixon since it's got playing characteristics I haven't found matched in any other low D.

If in fact you take to low whistles like a fish to water, by all means get another even better one later on (whether that means Overton, Copeland or something else) - if in fact you feel the need to. At that point in time you will also be better qualified to express which characteristics you like and don't like in low whistles - which should guide you in your choice of instrument.

/Jens
Talbert St. Claire

which whistle!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

It's nice to receive advice from a person that understands these Low Whistle's! Get a Chieftain my friend! Not bad for the money. There are a number of good whistles out there. The Chieftains are coming off quite victorious these days!

I'll say it again. Take it from someone that understand's the instrument!

I'll leave the nonsense up to the select few who can talk a good game but dont know a damn about Low Whistles.-Talbert

Its my opinion and I'm sticking to it!
Last edited by Talbert St. Claire on Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
shoner

Post by shoner »

I sold an Overton and purchased a Kerry Pro. A great whistle with a super high end. Quicker response than the Overton. Incidentally the whistle favored by Mike McGoldrick, Paddy Keenan, and the boys in Lunasa. As much as some people like to knock Phil, he's putting out some very nice whistles.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I've just tried one of the new prototype Syn low Ds, and i liked it very much. I don't know how much Erle will sell them for, but you may want to contact him.
http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/forums/v ... .php?t=809
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Talbert St. Claire

Hello Shoner,

Your thoughts are like poetry! I could not have said it any better! I'm fed up with various ones always knocking Phil. I love the Chieftains and will stand by them completely. Some people here really do not know a damn thing about Low Whistle's but always have something smart to say!

If it's up to me I'll put Phils Whistles on the MAP! Many here have heard my music cd with them. They LOVE my sounds performed on them. Go to his web-site and check out my sample's on his "music" page. Enjoy!

I appologize to you Shoner, but i'm just a little pissed off at the moment! However, I refuse be intimidated by a select group of asses. You know who you are.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

talbert st.claire wrote:If it's up to me I'll put Phils Whistles on the MAP!
I'm not sure you are going about it in the right way, though...
Talbert St. Claire

It's a good thing that I am trying to exercise a little self control. Some of you board members are a real pain in the ASS!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

talbert st.claire wrote:It's a good thing that I am trying to exercise a little self control. Some of you board members are a real pain in the ASS!
I think it's a good thing too. What will happen when you lose control?