Snob's Music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Snob's Music

Post by Guest »

I suppose it would be the Opera and String Quartets?

But what else would a Snob enjoy?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Philip ...................................................................
............................................................................................
............................................................................................
.....................................................................................
............................................... 30 minutes................

----6 years two trips to Stabucks......
????!! *** ( )..............

.........................;.....................;;..................""..................?

>>>>>,,,,,,,;.......................... Glass

(a lost score of PG's)

MarkB
Last edited by MarkB on Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Snob's Music

Post by Caj »

toasty wrote:I suppose it would be the Opera and String Quartets?

A snob would be anyone who disparages other people's music.

In Irish trad circles, there are people who think classical music isn't "real" music, or that it lacks soul or some such. Those people, in my opinion, are snobs.

Caj
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Caj wrote: In Irish trad circles, there are people who think classical music isn't "real" music, or that it lacks soul or some such. Those people, in my opinion, are snobs.

Caj
Have you actually met one of these people? I haven't. What would I make of Bobbey Casey playing a Paganini sonata? Not much, I'd wager, althought I think it's much less likely than Yo Yo Ma playing a folksy jig. I'd say the Boston Pops playing the Flogging Reel lacks soul, just like Michail Baryshnikov doing Graham lacks soul (among other things). Speaking of dance: classically trained ballet dancers will often consider themselves capable of doing modern dance, whereas you won't necessarily find a contact-improve type doing tours a la seconde.
/Bloomfield
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Mark, are you trying to be the Anti-Jim-Stone? :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I guess you have to distinguish between snobs and narrow-minded. My limited experience of trad-snobs was massive eye-rolling at bringing up a Carolan tune. "That's classical music" they said, with a sneer. Seemed clear enough that they would have no part of classical music but I don't know if it had the socio-economic paradigm for SNOBERY.

Basically, it felt like schoolyard peer pressure, really.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

toasty wrote:I suppose it would be the Opera and String Quartets?
We've seen a baroque oratorio choir and string consort specialized in Vivaldi do an excellence performance,
together with ITM musicians, at Lorient 2002 Festival Interceltique.
There's even a record -- "O'Stravaganza" -- which I like a lot.

Of course you couldn't call it "pure drop",
but to some it's the "pure drop" which is snob...

ImageImageImage
Would Mr B, Mark please cut down his .......... "cereal music"
with a few line-breaks, so we stop the bl*** scrolling,
else have to format in narrow columns like you know who ;)

Best

Post by Guest »

It appears then that its not the kind of music but the way it is
played that qualifies it as Snobmusic ?
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

attitude not genre

Post by stiofan »

hmmmm...seems to me that a "snob" (assuming we're thinking about the same sort of person here) could conceivably listen to whatever kind of music they feel like. Are we confusing the attitude with the type of music? I've definitely met those who probably qualify as what we're referring to in this thread as "snobs" in classical, traditional Irish, pop, rock, Middle-Eastern, American folk, New Age, electronica, and music that doesn't fit into preconceived genres at all. AND, I've met my share of musicians in all of these genres who exemplify what it means to be an artist and a real human being. Just suggesting to be careful with the overarching stereotypes...
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Every style of music has its snobbish types.

(and as much as i LOVE side-scrolling, i seem to have a cramp in my wrist today)
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Caj

Post by Caj »

Bloomfield wrote:
Caj wrote: In Irish trad circles, there are people who think classical music isn't "real"
music, or that it lacks soul or some such. Those people, in my opinion,
are snobs.

Caj
Have you actually met one of these people? I haven't.
Sure. In particular, they pop up whenever the topic of sheet music is brought up for the Nth time.
You can easily find people who believe that music becomes soulless and mechanical if it is played verbatim
from sheet music. Yet, a symphony orchestra is a room full of people doing precisely that.

Caj
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

The word "snob" sound funny when you say it over and over and overA few dozen times. It sounds like something soft and booger-shaped that someone might trip over.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I humbly request that this thread's title be changed to "Snobe Music".
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Bloomfield wrote:
Caj wrote: In Irish trad circles, there are people who think classical music isn't "real" music, or that it lacks soul or some such. Those people, in my opinion, are snobs.

Caj
Have you actually met one of these people? I haven't. What would I make of Bobbey Casey playing a Paganini sonata? Not much, I'd wager,.
I haven't met many either, in fact one of our local fiddlers, who was close to Bobby Casey personally and still is in style, sometimes comes up with Beethoven variations on Irish airs in mid session as examples and indeed once he DID play half a Paganini sonata because it had similarities to a tune we just played. It's not a uniform world and there are loads of people with broad interests out there.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I've been involved in music nearly all my life and I've rarely encountered style-based snobbery from musicians or composers in any style. I don't think I've ever encountered it from anyone who was generally regarded as very good.

Growing up, some people of my parents generation used to refer to what we loosely call classical musical as 'serious music' or 'fine music' as though the evaluative title went with the style. The thought of Charlie Parker or Robert Johnson as being frivolous always made me laugh. Since I played by ear in folk styles and only later learnt to read when I started to play jazz, it annoyed me. But I noticed that many of my friends who played and composed classical music not only respected me but came to me for information about what I knew just as often as I came to them with questions about theory. There was no snobbery there.