how do I learn to play up to speed?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
anticDevices
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anticDevices »

Caj wrote:First thing, get a metronome.
Could you recommend a good brand or place to pick one up? I’ve seen the advice to get one in more than one place, but a quick google of ‘metronome’ turns up a range of features and brands beyond my ability to evaluate.

Thanks in advance!
"Mensch werden ist eine Kunst" - Novalis
to become a human being is art
Hoed

Post by Hoed »

There's a metronome online which is fairly easy to use. It's at http://www.metronomeonline.com/metronom ... asp?bhcp=1
"Ken sent me"
- Larry Laffer

Post by Guest »

"BTW, the metronome should be set to the number of beats per minute, not the number of eighth-notes or quarter-notes or whatnot.

A reel typically has 2 beats per measure,

so 120BPM is a measure per second. Ditto for a double jig: 120BPM is a measure per second, even tho it's much harder to play a reel at 120 than a jig at 120! "

There are two UP beats as well as ...da dah tow DOWN beats per measure in C or 4/4 time.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

you know those pint glasses you usually get Guiness in? fill them with coffee, really strong coffee. if that doesn't work, soak your fingers and/or your tongue in espresso shots. :P

ok, seriously, as has already been mentioned, practice, practice, practice. I'll typically work on a tune at a slow to medium pace, working out phrases, ornaments and the overall feel of it. After working on it for awhile, I'll speed it up little by little. I rarely use a metronome for whistle playing (probably because I get enough of the tick-tock-tick-tock in cello practice!), but it's certainly useful, and seems to be good training for developing an inner sense of tempo (not to mention the old fashioned foot tapping/stamping method). Every now and then I'll play a tune alot faster than I practice it, not worrying about mistakes too much, just to get the feel of playing at a fast tempo, especially the feeling of moving the fingers much more quickly. Then, I'll go back to a slower tempo and work on the parts that need it. Something else to consider: playing the whistle (as with any instrument) is a physical activity, and I sometimes forget to pay as much attention as I should to the tension that sometimes builds up. I find this is especially true when playing low whistles--tension in the neck and mouth, as well as the fingers, so I try to be conscious of the degree of tension in my playing, as well as taking breaks if I'm playing for an extended period of time. Some of this carries over from cello playing, which of course is an altogether different instrument, but the principle of playing with the least amount of tension possible is certainly universal. Finally, breathing from the diaphragm is essential, even moreso when playing larger whistles. My $.02 anyway.

p.s. a mantra I used to hear from one of my former teachers: practice doesn't make perfect, but the right kind of practice will get you closer.
Caj

Post by Caj »

anticDevices wrote:
Could you recommend a good brand or place to pick one up?
I bought a Sabine Zipbeat metronome. I picked that one because it had a nice big jog dial to set the tempo (don't want to press a little button 50 times) and a nice "tock" sound rather than a computer beep.

Other fancy electronic features I didn't need, just a good metronome that's easy to use. A Zipbeat costs 20 bucks, and you shouldn't need to spend more than 25 bucks for a decent metronome.

Caj
Caj

Post by Caj »

toasty wrote: There are two UP beats as well as ...da dah tow DOWN beats per measure in C or 4/4 time.

Yes, tho if someone sets a metronome to 120 and asks me to play a jig or a reel to it, I'll end up playing 1 measure per second.

I find that fast for a reel and about right for a jig. A reel I'll normally play somewhere between 100 and 120, depending on how leisurely it feels.

Caj
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: how do I learn to play up to speed?

Post by Wanderer »

Easily_Deluded_Fool wrote:Foolish advice :D

Get a midi programme like MidiNotate, or Tablature Karaoke etc.

Find the tune you want as a midi, by looking at the usual sites e.g. J C Tunefinder, Wandering Whistler or by googling.

Use the midi prog' sto slow down the tune until you know it or can play through without mistakes, at 'that' speed you need to learn it at - maybe 50% normal speed.

Then add e.g. 10% then keep up, then another 10% etc, etc.

You'll never be able to play a tune fast and accurately if yer can't play it slowly and accurately, so IMO slow(er) and steady wins the race quicker :D if yer see wot I'm getting at.

HTH
This is exactly what I do, except I use recordings, and the slowdowner, instead of MIDIs. I try my best to give my MIDIs the proper rolls and stuff, but they're still a far cry from listening to the real thing.

When I was a beginner, things took longer, but these days, this is pretty much how I learn a tune:
  • Find the sheet music, listen to a few recordings, finding those with variations I like.
  • Mark up my sheet music, learn the bits.
  • Try to put away the sheet music within 10 reps, playing solely from memory.
  • Practice the tune about a week, solo
  • Bring the tune to session, and try to fit in, on my quietest whistle. Invariably, I'll need to refine the tune.
  • If needed, use the speed-up technique described above. It really helps train the trickier passages if I'm having trouble nailing it at speed.
  • Work on my own style, continue to practice the tune outside of session. This is true even for tunes I've been playing years, of course!
I find that the more I play in sessions, and the more I play in general, the less I have to do the slow-downer thing. I imagine this is true for everyone, so it's just a matter of keeping at it, and continuing to actively listen.
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

One thing I might suggest is to pick one of the tune types (jigs, reels, polkas, hornpipes) and learn a bunch of them by heart. What you'll find is that within the tune types there are a lot of similar phrases. For example, jigs have lots of "AGG" type, the "BAB" type and so on. As you become familiar with these patterns you'll play them as patterns (rather than 3 separate notes) and that will naturally speed you up.

Another good practice technique (stolen from Suzuki) is to immediately repeat a phrase when you make a mistake. If you make a mistake again, play the phrase ten times correctly. This is advice I could stand to follow more closely myself. Learning the tune correctly and getting "finger memory" is half the battle for getting up to speed. And the only way to get finger memory is through repetition.

As a beginner, I was trying to get up to speed on a tune ("Blackthorn Stick") and posted a link to the recording of it here, asking if this was unusually fast. I got back a few puzzled replies that said "Seems nice and leisurely." It was very depressing.

Now, a couple of years later I can play that tune and many others at "session speed". But the speed came very slowly and only with *lots* of practice. It's tough to be a "dabbler" in traditional music because you simply can't develop and maintain the skills you need. On the positive side, you'll find playing Christmas carols, folk songs and so on quite leisurely by comparison :-)

-- Scott