The Salt Shaker

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

The Salt Shaker

Post by emmline »

A brief exchange between Weeks and myself in the Behemoth thread has caused me to wonder. See this pic? That's Rachel and Becca doing the single salt crystal trick. This is not a phenomenon Weeks has experienced in his personal cultural framework...until now.
So...is this something like bowling with duckpins, that only occurs in the Baltimore area? Or am I right in thinking that everyone (well, not everyone) has tried this at one time or other?
E = Fb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by E = Fb »

Never heard of it. (I'm a foreigner). What is it?
Current stage of grief: Denial
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

We used to do it. Grains of salt are holding it balanced there.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I used to amaze the crowds with this trick 30 years ago. I showed it to my kids so the new generation can carry on the tradition.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Okay, but can you do the forks balanced over the edge of a glass on a toothpick thing?
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Haven't seen the fork one! But the kid on the right in the pic can stick a spoon to her nose.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Never saw or heard of it before. 'Bout all I know about Baltimore is what I saw in the movie 'Diner'.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

OutOfBreath wrote:Okay, but can you do the forks balanced over the edge of a glass on a toothpick thing?
LOL! My grandaddy (when he was well into his 90's ) spent about 15 minutes once at the dinner table setting this trick up. We all thought" ok, he's finally lost it, gone over the egde, what is he doing?" Daggone if he didn't balance the thing. It just took him a while because he was shakey. Hope I can even remember what a fork is for if I actually attain that age. :o
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

I haven't seen the salt shaker thing here, but you can do something similar with a can of pop (soda, for you Americans ;)). If you drink the can down to just the right level, you can balance it without any salt holding it up. The torques balance out just right. Careful if you try it though. Pop can be sticky if you spill it everywhere.

A.J.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Now that you have the basic skill mastered, try it with an egg. It's much more impressive, especially if you can sucker someone into a bet and get that salt on the egg on the sly. Try putting some in your hand before you start the trick.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
emmline

Post by emmline »

gonzo914 wrote:Now that you have the basic skill mastered, try it with an egg. It's much more impressive, especially if you can sucker someone into a bet and get that salt on the egg on the sly. Try putting some in your hand before you start the trick.
I shall pass that on to my trickster offspring.
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

This just in.
An Alabama court today sentenced a Birmingham resident to Drowning for the crime of Witchcraft by Balancing a Saltshaker. Judge Roy Moore resided over the court, sentencing the witch personally, stating "there is no need for input from an unclean and heathen jury". The unamed resident witch, a 16 year old student lunching at Shoney's, could not be ungagged for comment.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

cowtime wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:Okay, but can you do the forks balanced over the edge of a glass on a toothpick thing?
LOL! My grandaddy (when he was well into his 90's ) spent about 15 minutes once at the dinner table setting this trick up. We all thought" ok, he's finally lost it, gone over the egde, what is he doing?" Daggone if he didn't balance the thing. It just took him a while because he was shakey. Hope I can even remember what a fork is for if I actually attain that age. :o
What's really fun is to watch people when you pull off the grand finale, lighting the inside end of the toothpick so it burns right up to the edge of the glass, where the glass saps away enough heat to put the smoldering toothpick out. When I was a teenager hanging out we'd do this at cafe's and truck stops. I remember looking back once as we were paying our bill and seeing this waitress bent over the glass with her nose almost touching it, trying to figure out how those forks were staying there...
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.