$5400 Raffle - What a great community! :)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

JessieK wrote:Just to let everyone know, I am sending Jerry money in installments. The first was $950 and I am sending a check today for $2000. And there's more! Good work, everyone! Keep it coming.
That is so cool! You know, when I mentioned this raffle to my husband, the first thing he said was "musicians are really great people, aren't they?" I second that statement!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
AmyK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by AmyK »

Redwolf wrote: That is so cool! You know, when I mentioned this raffle to my husband, the first thing he said was "musicians are really great people, aren't they?" I second that statement!
I have to completely agree with you, Redwolf. I've seen a lot of amazing things happen in this forum but I think this is the most wonderful of all!

Amy
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Redwolf wrote:
JessieK wrote:Just to let everyone know, I am sending Jerry money in installments. The first was $950 and I am sending a check today for $2000. And there's more! Good work, everyone! Keep it coming.
That is so cool! You know, when I mentioned this raffle to my husband, the first thing he said was "musicians are really great people, aren't they?" I second that statement!

Redwolf
And it is not just this forum. How many local and national, heck world wide benefit concerts have we heard about the last couple of decades! Musicians seem to be the most generous when is comes to doing this sort of thing, donating time, talent and materials to those in need.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

We just had one last weekend to help defray the hospital costs of a friend who died about a month ago, leaving one heck of a bill ... her husband is a great guy, and she was a great gal, so loads of people turned out, and a silent auction was held, several of us played a concert and the coffee house donated the nights counter sales... find folk tend to be there for fine folk.

I'd be in on this great effort if I wasn't broke at the moment.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hello, friends.

I'm trying to find a way to tell you concretely, what you've really done and what you're really doing.

For one thing, you're saving me and Arleen from a financial situation that would be just about impossible to contemplate. As it was, we had allowed ourselves to be stretched farther than rational people ever should be. Without consciously planning, we've put all our resources into the adoptions and hadn't put anything aside for a rainy day. I guess we figured we'd get around to that sooner or later. I haven't fully recovered from losing my Internet job three years ago. Had been seeing some daylight as the whistle business developed, but still very tough. We were only just making the mortgage payments with Arleen's fulltime income, and now she won't be able to work for an unknown period of time. We'll put her student loans on hardship forbearance.

When we were in Boston, I went to get some groceries and my debit card was declined. I went back to the room, got out a calculator and discovered I had overdrawn my checking account. Got ahold of Jessie, and she wire transferred funds from the raffle. Instead of having to deal with a terrific mess right in the middle of Arleen's surgery, we were able keep going, thanks to your help. Going forward, I don't know what we'll encounter. I expect there will be several thousands in medical costs over what insurance pays, on top of our normal living expenses.

Maybe it isn't necessary to relate things in this kind of detail. But I'm trying to make it clear, what you're doing matters. It makes a big difference. A huge difference. And that's just talking about the difference it makes to help us survive financially.

However, there's something else here, about as life changing as anything I've ever encountered.

I mentioned in another post, that your kindness, and that of the neighbors here who are taking care of our children and bringing cooked meals to the house, has taken the edge off my cynicism about politics, corporate greed, world events and the like.

I've seen this kind of thing from a distance, like when someone got organized and put donation boxes in all the businesses so a high school student could get a lung transplant, or to help when someone's house burned down. It never occurred to me that someone would ever do something like that for me and my family.

It definitely changes the way you think about humanity.

I've said it before; you're changing the world. Every act of kindness, no matter how seemingly small, changes the recipient's experience of humanity. I'm convinced that small, and not so small, acts of kindness done by individuals, are the most positive force in the world today. They are the best answer I know for all the things that are wrong in the world, and I'm convinced that they do counterbalance the bad things.

Ultimately, I believe the world's problems are all spiritual. By spiritual, I don't mean necessarily having to do with God or religion, but rather, with the spirit of humanity. Every kind of violence and exploitation, every form of conflict and every manifestation of hatred, reflects a sickness and poverty of spirit in individual human beings. Those spiritual afflictions in the hearts of individual people, multiplied, are the big, pervasive problems of the world we talk about here at length.

Every act of kindness, no matter how seemingly isolated or small, nourishes the spirit of the recipient, and also of the giver. Even though seemingly inconsequential in comparison to the size of the world's problems, I'm convinced there is no other place where a real solution can happen.

A drop of mother's milk may seem inconsequential, but the cumulative effect of all the nourishment from every mother's breast has sustained and grown up every generation of humanity since the beginning of time. One drop at a time. I can think of nothing more important in this world than kindness. And every drop of kindness counts.

With my profound thanks and best wishes for all of you,
Jerry
chas

Post by chas »

Jerry, your whole post was beautiful. It's good for us (me, at least) to be reminded that occasionally we really can make a difference.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Thank you, Jerry, for your beautiful post, and for accepting our gifts graciously.
~JessieD
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Thanks to YOU Jerry. We all benefit from this.

(as an added note- most insurances have a catastrophic maximum when it comes to the percentage you are expected to pay for medical treatment- for example mine is $4,000- after that is reached the insurance pays 100%- hopefully yours has a max point too that is managable)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Thanks for the insurance info. I'll be on the lookout for that when we start sorting out the bills.

Best wishes,
Jerry
goldthorpe

Post by goldthorpe »

It has always been useful and fun
to be part of this forum.
Recently it has become a real pleasure.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

anniemcu wrote:... I'd be in on this great effort if I wasn't broke at the moment.
I am suddenly not broke (at least not *so* broke), so can afford a ticket if the time frame allows, or offer a donation if it's too late for tickets.

I'm mailing $10 in personal check with the Wednesday post.

Thanks so much for doing this for someone in need (we all get there at some time in our lives), and it is a priveledge and an inspiration to participate.

4/21 - Envelopes Away!
Last edited by anniemcu on Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Annie, thanks for reminding me - was planning to do this myself over the weekend but caught a flu bug and dropped the ball.

I'll try to have a check in tomorrow's mail as well.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Thanks for the insurance info. I'll be on the lookout for that when we start sorting out the bills.
Err... i think she's sending checks! :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Ultimately, I believe the world's problems are all spiritual. By spiritual, I don't mean necessarily having to do with God or religion, but rather, with the spirit of humanity. Every kind of violence and exploitation, every form of conflict and every manifestation of hatred, reflects a sickness and poverty of spirit in individual human beings. Those spiritual afflictions in the hearts of individual people, multiplied, are the big, pervasive problems of the world we talk about here at length.
Amen, bro. I think virtually all the world's problems are due to deficits in respect.

Jerry thank you for your fine post.

Dale
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Every act of kindness, no matter how seemingly isolated or small, nourishes the spirit of the recipient, and also of the giver. Even though seemingly inconsequential in comparison to the size of the world's problems, I'm convinced there is no other place where a real solution can happen.
Well said, Jerry! Thank you for your profound post.

God bless you. I'll continue praying for Arleen, you, and your children.
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty