Another tax day survived.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Another tax day survived.

Post by Chuck_Clark »

This is the day Americans give the first third of their annual income to the government to waste as it sees fit. Or, this year, to misquote Garrison Keillor, I hope you put extra stamps on your tax envelopes - your money had to go a long way to Iraq.

I actually set a record for the 21st Century - I finished ten whole hours before the midnight deadline. In a way, I miss the 11:30 pm block party at the main Post Office, but, OTOH, I really am getting to old for that stuff.

The good thing about tax day, I suppose, is that it at least temporarily cures WhOA.
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Oh. Gosh, I forgot about the party.
I have a cold.
I felt so crappy today, I only brought one whistle to work today.
Anyone care to guess which one?
Hint. It was a cheapy.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
zoie

Post by zoie »

I still have 3 1/2 hours to get mine to the post office. I probably should get started on them sometime soon. After, I read the board and practice my whistle :boggle:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I always do mine in the first week of February (yeah, I know, boo and hiss) but what makes me laugh is that I pretend, for about a week, that I will be one of those A/R types that will keep REALLY great records from Now On! Sheesh. As Bugs would say, "what a maroon!"
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I usually worry about the 15th up until the last week or so. Then I do my taxes and realize that, yet again, the worry was not worth it. :oops:

Then I kick myself in the bootie for not submitting my fed and state refund returns earlier. :sniffle: :roll:

Oh well. I will mail mine in tomorrow or the next day. :o
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I love seeing April 15th come -- it means I get a 'life' again. I work as a income tax preparer and a bookkeeper to support my WhOA. What I really need to do is figure out how to make the whistles a deduction. :D

~Judy

My own taxes? Mailed 'em Monday, 4/12 :lol:
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Since TurboTax entered my life, all has been easy--even back when I had an income worth taxing. I love computers, and I love the 'Net!!!
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Darwin wrote:Since TurboTax entered my life, all has been easy--even back when I had an income worth taxing. I love computers, and I love the 'Net!!!
Same here. We get TurboTax, do our taxes in early February, e-file them, and usually bank the refund by mid-March.

I walked into our little local post office today, and the postmistress had put out cheese and crackers to entertain all the last minute filers. She let me have some, even though I'd completely forgotten it was April 15 and had just come to buy some stamps!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Darwin wrote:Since TurboTax entered my life, all has been easy--even back when I had an income worth taxing. I love computers, and I love the 'Net!!!
I've used TurboTax for years - couldn't do without it. It really does make things much easier, even if I seldom actually install it before April 10 (April 13 this year). Had me tearing my hair this year, though. Not the software - it worked fine - but trying to download the updates on April 15 with my modem blowing out constantly damne near drove me bonkers and may have contributed to my little cardiac scare and emergency room trip. Nothing too serious was found, mostly just a very fast and erratic heartbeat that I'm fairly sure was stress-specific.

I never get a Federal refund - I plan it that way. My aunt was an IRS agent for years and taught me that it's really stupid to let the gov keep and use excess money interest-free all year only to magnanimously give you your own money back. Better instead to balance your withholding or estimated payments so that you owe THEM a couple of hundred bucks on April 15. Needless to say, I then hold onto that last bit as long as possible.
DebbieM

Post by DebbieM »

We'd be in big trouble without Turbotax. We usually buy it early March, promise ourselves that we'll do it early this time, then install it April 15th. Somehow my husband manages to get it all together and joins the "party" at the post office close to midnight. We always seem to owe (my husband also doesn't believe in letting Uncle Sam use our money through the year), so there's no rush in sending it in, I guess.

Debbie
glauber

Post by glauber »

I used TurboTax for years until the fiasco with the copy protection software last year. I've used HR Block (TaxCut) for 2 years now, and it's not as pretty but works just as fine.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I use Taxcut also. I get the Federal version first and then downloaded the Ohio edition.

If you know anyone running for president, tell them that whistlemakers should get a better tax cut.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Caj

Post by Caj »

I had to do 2 state taxes this time, tho much easier than a couple years ago when I made money in CA as an independent contractor while being a student in NJ with residency in IL.

I can't wait to start a job and establish residency in the state where I work, and make all my money in that state. That and have a bank where I live, and have an address that I don't have to change every 6 mos.

Caj
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Did you know you can get an extension? You don't even need a reason. I've gotten an extension for three years running. I always provide an excuse, even though they don't ask for one.

This year's?:

"Bitten by lllama. Receiving experimental treatments in South America. Swelling a problem."

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

You can get an extension to file. The catch is that if you owe money you have to pay it by the 15th or pay interest and penalty for late payment, even though you had an extension to file. That one just never made sense to me...
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.