First Time Contributor

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

First Time Contributor

Post by Will O'B »

I’m a long time lurker, first time contributor. (If this were radio, a cow bell or something would jangle about now, welcoming me to the forum. This internet technology just seems to lose some of that down-home whimsy.)

I received my first whistle at Christmas (a Feadog D) from my 11 year old son who loves all types of Irish music. For our wedding anniversary earlier this month, my wife bought me a Burke VSB Composite D, Silkstone PVC D and a Dixon Low A from the Whistle Shop. The Burke by far is the easiest for me to play and I love the tone of the Dixon when playing airs. The Silkstone, on the other hand, is going to take a little more work, as it tends to make some pretty nasty noise when looking for the second octave A & B (I know they’re hiding in there somewhere). To give you some idea of what I’m talking about, I listened to a recording of myself trying to play the Silkstone and it sounded like a sack of wet cats competing in a cussing contest. Well, actually, that’s not true. I’m not being fair to the cats. I apologize to all cats and cat lovers out there for that insensitive remark.

Anyway, having no musical background at this old age, I admit that I have a lot to learn and I’m grateful for sites like this that allow experienced whistlers to share their knowledge and their talents with beginners such as myself. I have a lot of questions about ITM that I will be posting in the weeks ahead, and I only hope that they won’t seem too simplistic for y’all.

Will O’Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Ailin
antispam: No

Post by Ailin »

Welcome Will!
Fire away with your questions, as there will be all sorts of help for you here, even some you may not ask for! :)
Sounds like your son is very intelligent and has the right idea about music!
Your wife obviously doesn't know what she has begun. Search on WhOA!
Don't worry the "cats" will quickly sound much better! :D
Ailin
Norma

Post by Norma »

Hi Will and welcome, always nice to see a new face, although it looks as though you could use a good shave?? :P
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Welcome Will. Kiss the wife for such a thoughtful anniversay present. Hope you got her some jewelry or something!!!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
BillChin

Re: First Time Contributor

Post by BillChin »

Will O'B wrote: ... The Silkstone, on the other hand, is going to take a little more work, as it tends to make some pretty nasty noise when looking for the second octave A & B (I know they’re hiding in there somewhere). To give you some idea of what I’m talking about, I listened to a recording of myself trying to play the Silkstone and it sounded like a sack of wet cats competing in a cussing contest. Well, actually, that’s not true. I’m not being fair to the cats. I apologize to all cats and cat lovers out there for that insensitive remark.
Will O’Ban
Welcome Will. I've been playing for over ten years and I still occasionally squawk on the high notes, especially the A and B, so don't be discouraged. Learning to "lean in" (blow harder and more consistently), takes practice and it will come. One practice technique is to climb the ladder on the second octave from high E up to high B.

I also came to playing whistles late in life. I can not explain in words how much it has meant to me, and how much it has enriched my life. This message board is a great resource. Enjoy.
+ Bill
mcbob

Post by mcbob »

Welcome! I can say that now I stopped lurking too!
" No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in" Bono
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Norma wrote:Hi Will and welcome, always nice to see a new face, although it looks as though you could use a good shave?? :P
Welcome Will O'B. and I myself am parital to hairy faces as you can see from my avatar. :)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Chuck_Clark

Re: First Time Contributor

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Will O'B wrote: For our wedding anniversary earlier this month, my wife bought me a Burke VSB Composite D, Silkstone PVC D and a Dixon Low A from the Whistle Shop.
Welcome, Will.

Wanna trade wives?

Just kidding - no other woman than the one I have could ever put up with me. She may not buy me whistles, but she seldom complains when I buy my own.
DebbieM
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by DebbieM »

Welcome, Will, from another previous lurker. You'll have fun being out in the open. :)

Debbie
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

We trade wives in here? I've been talking freaking whisltes since December and we trade wives in here?
When did this happen! Why wasn't I told!
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Welcome, Will O'B!

Great avatar! Looks just like my Shaggy dog, who decided to live with us a few years ago. Free dogs are one of the benefits (?) of country living.

I have a Silkstone PVC D whistle that I also have had a problem with the high B note -- but I think if I practiced more with it, instead of my Dixon, Water Weasel, Hoover, etc. the note played would improve. Thom Larson (The Whistle Shop) did offer to send it back to Paul Hayward of Silkstone whistles for adjustment. I just received a Silkstone Alloy Low D, from The Whistle Shop, that is fantastic! Tone is beautiful, and I can easily play the 3rd D. Tell your wife you need one of these next anniversary. :)

You're brave to tackle "D" whistles & and an "A" whistle together. Once my fingers learned 6 fingers = D, my brain refuses to comtemplate 6 fingers = A.

~Judy
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

I don’t know whether the people who responded to my original post will read this or not, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words of encouragement and humor. I realize that I am a very lucky guy to have such a loving family (and yes, that even includes my sidekick, Kaylee the dog). I don’t know how I could exist without them.

I devoted yesterday to searching for some of those high notes hiding in my Silkstone. I took it out on the deck and began playing around with the whistle to get a better feel for it. After a while, I was able to get a fairly crisp high A & B out of it (thanks for the advice, Bill). To my amazement, I noticed that robins were starting to fly into the yard and walk around less than ten feet away from where I was playing. I counted eight of them all together, and it didn’t appear that they were scavenging for worms. Now, I’m not about to say that my playing sounded like bird calls, but it was really odd considering that I typically only see a single bird perched on our fence or in the tree. (And if it sounded like a sack of wet cats I don’t think they would have showed up at all - - :) )

Finally, Judy stated: “You're brave to tackle "D" whistles and an "A" whistle together. Once my fingers learned 6 fingers = D, my brain refuses to contemplate 6 fingers = A.”
I was told that my Dixon Low A could be played just like a D whistle with the same fingering (6 fingers still = D, only it obviously sounds different). This is how I have been playing the slow airs on it and they all seem to sound fine (considering my limited ability), only lower pitched than on a high D whistle. I can understand that this approach is ok if playing alone and will not work if playing with others who have instruments in other keys. If I misunderstood this concept and my tin ear is actually fooling me, someone please tell me. Seriously.

Will O’Ban
Last edited by Will O'B on Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Will O'B wrote:I was told that my Dixon Low A could be played just like a D whistle with the same fingering (6 fingers still = D, only it obviously sounds different). This is how I have been playing the slow airs on it and they all seem to sound fine (considering my limited ability), only lower pitched than on a high D whistle. I can understand that this approach is ok if playing alone and will not work if playing with others who have instruments in other keys. If I misunderstood this concept and my tin ear is actually fooling me, someone please tell me. Seriously.
You're exactly right, it's as easy as that. By changing whistles, you've "automatically" transposed the tune from D to A. You can play in any key you like that way, which is very useful when playing with others who have chromatic instruments. Many people write (or learn) all their tunes in D, then transpose just by changing instruments, instead of trying to read in different keys.
skh

Post by skh »

Will O'B wrote: I was told that my Dixon Low A could be played just like a D whistle with the same fingering (6 fingers still = D, only it obviously sounds different). This is how I have been playing the slow airs on it and they all seem to sound fine (considering my limited ability), only lower pitched than on a high D whistle. I can understand that this approach is ok if playing alone and will not work if playing with others who have instruments in other keys.
If you are playing with guitarists, just tell them what key your whistle is in, watch them frown and fiddle around a bit and let them work it out. They are used to that. For playing with other instruments, it might be useful to have whistles in several keys with you to find a common denominator (it's not an addiction, you really need more whistles!)

cheers + have fun,

Sonja
Shut up and play.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Oh my! All my whistles are D -- I see a whole new world of possibilties here now. I was trying to learn the "hard" way. Just when I thought my WhOA was in remission. This is all your fault, Will -- and BoneQuint's .... Thanks!

~Judy