Summertime-Gershwin

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

Wombat wrote:Kevin, I'd have thought Tyne and Wear would be a bit nippy at this time of the year for playing jazz in the buff. :wink:
Yeah,well (ahem),certain parts of the anatomy do resemble the Garklien at the moment! :oops:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Last edited by RonKiley on Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Stop it,stop it!
You have me breaking out the old Alto Sax. and donning the beret again!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

RonKiley wrote:Here is a link:

http://www.whistleworkshop.co.uk/summertime.htm[/url]
That's it. Thanks.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Does anyone else get the dreaded "404- Page Not Found" type message?
when I go to that site?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Tom,

It worked for me when I dropped the [/url] off the end of the address.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the link, Ron.

Boo
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

OT, but a knock-your-socks off performance of "Summertime," by Fantasia Barino on this week's American Idol TV show. It is worth seeking out if you enjoy this song because you will be hard pressed to find a better vocal rendition.
+ Bill
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

BillChin wrote:OT, but a knock-your-socks off performance of "Summertime," by Fantasia Barino on this week's American Idol TV show. It is worth seeking out if you enjoy this song because you will be hard pressed to find a better vocal rendition.
Like beating Ella Fitzgerald's and Billie Holiday's renditions?

(Not to mention I'm quite partial to... Janis Joplin/BB&HC version in "Cheap Thrills") 8)
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Zubivka wrote:
BillChin wrote:OT, but a knock-your-socks off performance of "Summertime," by Fantasia Barino on this week's American Idol TV show. It is worth seeking out if you enjoy this song because you will be hard pressed to find a better vocal rendition.

(Not to mention I'm quite partial to... Janis Joplin/BB&HC version in "Cheap Thrills") 8)
As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Seek it out and make your own call. It sounds like you are "old-school," so it is unlikely you will rate it higher than the artists you mention. However, odds are you will enjoy Barino. She brings a fresh energy to the song, and live performances often have an added sizzle.

American Idol has many detractors, but one huge benefit is that millions of young people are being exposed to songs that they would never listen to otherwise.
+ Bill
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

BillChin wrote:It sounds like you are "old-school," so it is unlikely you will rate it higher than the artists you mention.
Remembering Janis Joplin live does certainly qualify me as a geezer, but... old school? :P

ok... I'll check out your suggestion. ;)
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I edited the link. Should work fine now.

Ron
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Moving on to purely instrumental versions of this simple but great tune, I think the first album I ever owned (Herbie Mann, Live at the Village Gate) has my favorite rendition.

Thanks for the edit on the URL.

Tom D.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Tom Dowling wrote:Moving on to purely instrumental versions of this simple but great tune, I think the first album I ever owned (Herbie Mann, Live at the Village Gate) has my favorite rendition.
I seem to recall a very cool version by the Modern Jazz Quartet.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Denny

Post by Denny »

cool version... Joni Mitchell on a Curt (yes, Clint's son) Eastwood CD

Denny
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

BillChin wrote:
Zubivka wrote:

As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Seek it out and make your own call. It sounds like you are "old-school," so it is unlikely you will rate it higher than the artists you mention. However, odds are you will enjoy Barino. She brings a fresh energy to the song, and live performances often have an added sizzle.

American Idol has many detractors, but one huge benefit is that millions of young people are being exposed to songs that they would never listen to otherwise.
+ Bill
I wholeheartedly agree. I've said to my family for quiet some time that Fantasia needs to do a Bille Holiday tune. (and this is from someone who owns that Janis album who bought the thing when it was NEW, and I still think it's got some of her best work on there.)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West