Low D Use in ITrad Band?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Montana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Low D Use in ITrad Band?

Post by Montana »

Peter Laban wrote:Don't think so, I know an awful lot of whistleplayers and non of them, including myself, has use for a low whistle. :P
I originally added this in rkottke's Gen Low D thread but didn't think I should divert attention from his question.
I play mostly my high D (sometimes a C) in a group that includes a guitar, piano, bodhran, and fiddle. The guitar player is one of those types who is always wanting to change things and often tells the rest of us to try this or that way of playing something. Some of the ideas are good but sometimes it gets a little irritating when you just want to play. :roll:
The other night he saw Solas in concert and now thinks I should switch to playing the low D. He says since the low D plays in a different octave than the fiddle, it sounds better and the sound is fuller.
I am resistant especially when I read comments like Peter's. I know low D's are nice and there's a lot of people on this board who play some nice stuff with them. But I've always considered the high D most "traditional". Maybe this belongs on the trad music board. But what does anyone else think? :-?
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Low D's most assuredly do not play in a different octave... in fact, generally, they play in the same octave, while high D's are higher...

So do whatever you want!

Low D is fun though, and I enjoy playing it at the session, and with others...
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

If you like them you should play them, if you're not too keen on the idea, then you shouldn't.
Last edited by Cayden on Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Low D is nice, and you can play fast tunes on some of them. Finger stretch is too much for me, generally, and i prefer the high whistle. Low Ds were invented in the 1960s, i think, by Overton, so in this sense they're not very traditional. But also the keyless "Irish" flute...

Low D will play in the same octave as the fiddle (and flute). High D plays one octave higher than fiddle&flute.

Lunasa has used low whistles (but often in other keys, e.g.: F) to great effect.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

If your definition of "trad" ecompasses bands, then i wouldn't hesitate to include the low D. Further if it helps, I like playing the low D, but wouldn't if I ever played in a session in Co. Clare (fat chance of that, hah).
/Bloomfield
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Low Ds have their uses. For instance, they can be used to brain pushy, obnoxious guitarists. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i'll travel through kerry, through limerick and clare,
and play them at hooleys, at dances and fairs :P
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

If you have a good enough low D instrument, it can function in a band as a sort of flute substitute although it won't be as loud nor will it have the dynamic, expressive or tonal range of a flute. You'll need to mic it. The up side is that you will be playing acceptably on low whistle long before you can play flute well enough to include it in your band—a good embouchure takes years to develop. Well played low whistle sounds much better than poorly played flute.

That said, there are interesting differences between flute and low whistle and at least one player who can play flute very well—Seamus Egan—seems to prefer playing his Copeland low D a lot of the time. I'm learning flute but won't give up low whistle if I ever manage to master flute.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Pat Cannady wrote:Low Ds have their uses. For instance, they can be used to brain pushy, obnoxious guitarists. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Use 'em both. You may find that the texture that one whistle provides for a tune or set works better than the other whistle, and vice versa. In band situations, I think that varied textures in presentation are a good thing (so long as it's not overdone, but that's just me).
Talbert St. Claire

Low D Whistle.

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Hi Montana,

It's me Tal. I understand your concern in-terms of choosing the right whistle for yourself. Don't take the guitar players comment to seriously! You know what's best for you. Listen to your own personal feelings! It's always a matter of personal taste!!

What you should adopt is the fact that playing a low whistle will definitely add to your skills! Not a bad trade off I would say. Go for it! If anything, he's trying to encourage you. Look at the positive side.

You already have "Tears Of The Forest" by now through the raffle. Listen to how many things can be accomplished w/ this particular sound. Low Whistles can be very intimidating. Like anything, it can be learned! It's a really great instrument for cross over music as well.

Consider a G-whistle if the low-d is not your choice. The key of G is fantastic along with guitar! Something to consider in deciding. Best-Tal
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Finbar Furey can play Low whistle like nobodies business-I saw him playing Overton low D AND a baritone A or G(?) a couple of years ago.He put in a fantastic performance on them.
Packie Manus Byrne also plays an Overton low G on his album 'To Donegal and back',which is assuredly I-Trad.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Mongoose of Righteousness

Post by Mongoose of Righteousness »

A little amplification goes a long way with the Low D. We have an acoustic band and it's the only instrument we amplify. (Which makes the band non-acoustic, I know I know).
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

FWIW-- Seamus Egan uses low whistle almost exclusively in Solas these days. Seems to sound OK to me, although they are not totally trad. Heard a LOT of low whistle back a while ago at a Lunasa concert too.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

brewerpaul wrote:FWIW-- Seamus Egan uses low whistle almost exclusively in Solas these days. Seems to sound OK to me, although they are not totally trad. Heard a LOT of low whistle back a while ago at a Lunasa concert too.
Yeah. I'd really like to know why he prefers low whistle to flute. Since I've only been playing flute for a few months and still have an embouchure about as tight as a damp tissue, it's pretty easy to see why I prefer my Copeland low D at this stage. But Egan plays flute rather well.