Special whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
waitingame

Special whistle

Post by waitingame »

I've been left some money to buy a whistle to remind me of a very dear departed friend. Now I'm actually not in need of a new whistle being perfectly content with my set of Burke brass and Overton whistles. So what to get?

It needs to be something a bit special. The price is not significant either way. I guess a high D would be most in order but...

Any suggestions?

waitingame
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

You could contact Jessie. She already has all models of whistles in the galaxy so she can help you choose, but most important, maybe she has something for sale that's been donated to help Jerry Freeman.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Special whistle

Post by Redwolf »

waitingame wrote:I've been left some money to buy a whistle to remind me of a very dear departed friend. Now I'm actually not in need of a new whistle being perfectly content with my set of Burke brass and Overton whistles. So what to get?

It needs to be something a bit special. The price is not significant either way. I guess a high D would be most in order but...

Any suggestions?

waitingame
For something commemorative, maybe a nice, handmade wooden whistle? Busman, perhaps?

Or perhaps an Elfsong decorated in colors that remind you of your friend...his/her favorites, or the colors of his/her alma mater, or perhaps just something that reminds you of his/her personality. You could even get your friend's initials engraved on the mouthpiece.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

whistle.

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Hi there,

First off, im truly very sorry to hear about your loss. I'll keep you in my thoughts indeed.

Since you are searching for that special whistle and money is not an issue.
I say go for a copeland high/d (silver). A SPECIAL whistle indeed that fits that special someone!! Best, Talbert St.Claire

P.S. I'm sure that other's have some great picks as well.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I'd also consider an Abell D in blackwood or some other nice wood.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I couldn't argue with any of the suggestions so far. (My Copeland high D isn't silver but otherwise I have one of each.) I lean towards wood and I lean towards a Busman. Perhaps Paul has a rather special wood just waiting for you. He made me a wonderful whistle in blackwood and pink ivory—probably unique—and it has the edge over my Thin Weasel and Abell which is really saying something.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Wombat wrote:I couldn't argue with any of the suggestions so far. (My Copeland high D isn't silver but otherwise I have one of each.) I lean towards wood and I lean towards a Busman. Perhaps Paul has a rather special wood just waiting for you.
How about that hundred-year-old bird's-eye maple he has?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Darwin wrote:How about that hundred-year-old bird's-eye maple he has?
That certainly tipped the scale for me. I had already ordered one of his delrin whistles, but bird's-eye maple is probably my favorite wood-grain pattern. Paul gave me the option of switching my order... so, naturally, I ordered both. (And I even had spousal approval. I'm a lucky guy.) :D
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

A Grinter low F.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

glauber wrote:You could contact Jessie. She already has all models of whistles in the galaxy so she can help you choose, but most important, maybe she has something for sale that's been donated to help Jerry Freeman.
Perhaps even donating it to the cause? What better way to remember someone than by helping another in need?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Zubivka

Re: Special whistle

Post by Zubivka »

waitingame wrote:I've been left some money to buy a whistle to remind me of a very dear departed friend. Now I'm actually not in need of a new whistle being perfectly content with my set of Burke brass and Overton whistles. So what to get?

Any suggestions?
Something special that is not the whistles you're contenet with?

Get a NA "love" flute. If I was to mourn someone with music, I'd improvise on one of these. I'd suggest an Em--low without excess (comparable to "our" G alti), yet easy to handle.

You may order one with a custom block (aka "fetish") with a symbol reminding you the person, and you'd have it before you when you play as if he/she sang. http://www.wildwoodflutes.com/blocks.htm
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

Thanks for the suggestions. Certainly plenty to think about.

The NAF idea appeals at the moment so I'm researching them heavily. Great idea, Zoob, thanks so much.

Except that suddenly that silver Copeland or the Busman sound attractive too.

I'm going to give it a couple of days before making a decision. But thanks again for all the excellent suggestions.

waitingame
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Just beware of some NA flute makers who are more into phoney mystics, or just in the "souvenir" market, more than music.
It seems many NA flute buyers are in a sort of WhOA, where rare timber craftsmanship gets more emphasis than sound quality.

On the other hand, a good "drone" will get you sounds you'll never get out of a whistle or flute.

Here's one I fancied on eBay, originally from www.nativeloveflutes.com

It looks rather bland, but any wood craftsman or sculptor could carve you blocks of your choice as add-ons.
The choice of materials, from timber to stone or metal, is unlimited and so are the shapes.

Want to make it really personal? Carve your own.
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

http://www.butchhallflutes.com/flash/index.html
I own two of his concert flutes, and the sound is just beautiful. I think he makes the flutes with a drone, but I didn't see one on his site. You could always ask.

Alcona
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2