kind thoughts and prayers request

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Hey James,

I wish you good luck with this, I went through difficult times not that long ago and I know how you must feel.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I'm sorry to hear this James and I'll be thinking of you. This seems to be happening to far too many clever and talented people these days. Not that anyone deserves unemployment, but I worry for a world that seems not to value skill and experience.

I had to endure ten years of insecure employment. I'd know for perhaps months that my current job would be running out and not know whether I'd find another, or where, until maybe a few weeks or days before I faced unemployment. I kept coming second or third for more secure jobs and it was no consolation that that was ahead of another 90 applicants all of whom were qualified. It's very unpleasant, but it can lead to bigger and better things. Eventually my turn came around. Good luck.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Count on my thoughts and prayers, James. I know it's hard to think positively at times like this, but do your best to do so. When one door closes, another one opens, as the saying goes. I've had two of these experiences, and they both led to better things.

Jim
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

James,

I volunteer at the local job center. A secure thought for you is that 80% of people that go through a lay off see it as positive experience two years later. Another secure thought is that a person only needs one company to say yes, one job. There is bad news out there, and for some people it can seem overwhelming. However, one job, one company, is a very doable task no matter what a person's circumstances.

A job loss can be an emotional experience for many. There is often a cycle of anger, and grief, before acceptance comes and a person is ready to move forward. What I tell everyone that comes through my workshops is to take care of himself/herself and to make good use of time. I specifically talk about diet, exercise, and most importantly the mental diet of what news a person lets in, and what a person spends his/her time thinking about. I also tell people to think about his/her ideal job, to write it down, to verbalize it. Words and thoughts have power.

Take care,
Bill
Boo

Post by Boo »

Good thoughts coming your way!
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

I'll add prayer, to include provision and peace for yourself and Shannon.
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

James,

I'll be praying for you and Shannon.
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

James,

You have my undivided sympathy on this. I went through the same thing last spring, and though I was lucky (had known it was coming, and had started interviewing for new jobs) it wasn't a pleasant time, and the feeling of relief when I landed another job was immense.

Just don't beat yourself up over it (all too easy, at times) - it makes a bad time even worse, with no compensating gain that I can see. The best of luck in finding a new, and better, job soon - we're all pulling for you here.

Dana
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Lots of sympathy here, James. I was laid off about 22 months ago, myself. Fortunately, I'm old enough to be somewhat well-prepared, but I would still like to have a real income again, someday.

Best of luck to you.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Wow, James, I am so sorry to hear that!
Count me among the ones who've gone thru it, and can sympathize whole-heartedly!

I have no doubt you'll be happier someday very soon, Remember, your music will make this stress much more bearable!

Mary
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

James - you, your wife, and your furry crew will be in my thoughts and prayers. While there is no way it feels that way now, it could be a blessing in disguise. Hang in there as best you can, and try to stay as positive as possible.

Eric
Paul

Post by Paul »

James, I am very sorry to hear the news. You and Shannon will be in my thoughts. I don't want to come off sounding hokey but I'm sure you'll find work again soon. I am sincere when I say this. You are a very intelligent and interesting person. After her initial reaction, I'm sure that your wife will shore you up with her support as you plow through these waters as well. I feel that when things like this happen it is the ending of one thing so that something new can have the space to begin. Just be sure you're paying attention so you don't miss it. I'll bet you'll end up better off than you were.
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DebbieM

Post by DebbieM »

James,

My husband was laid off of work 9 years ago. It was scary, and we had a couple of pretty rough years. But it all worked out for the best, and we're happy with the results. You both are in my prayers.

Debbie
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Hang in there...
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

You will be added to the prayer role. Hang in there and work everyday to find that new job.

Ron