From Joanie Madden

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
barbprimrose
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by barbprimrose »

Chris,

You have your own ideas so stick to that! You really do not have to boast
about your accomplishments. A little humility goes a really long way! Barb
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Christ is one of the nicest and best here. I don't think he meant that to come across as boasting; rather, I think he was just sharing his background in an effort to help you understand why he feels as he does.

There are people here who are arrogant and there are a few people here who are openly critical, sometimes to the point of seeming hostility. Chris is neither.

He's one of the Good Guys, and I feel like you are too. It'd be a shame for you to dislike him over semantics.

--James
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Woah, Barb... big misunderstanding.
I didn't state what I had done to brag about it. I made that statement to show that I have LOTS of interests, not JUST Irish music. I wrote that stuff to show you who I am, that I like other music, other things, that I play other music, etc... not that I have huge amounts of experience and thus you should bow down to me and take my word at gospel.
Chris
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Thank you Jim for the genuinely kind comment.
Best,
Chris
P.S. - I've been learning a lot from your great posts of your playing. It's been fun, and instructional, to watch the tremendous progress you've made and compare it to my own progress which moves in fits and starts. It's a long road, but a great one to travel.
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

peeplj wrote:There are people here who are arrogant and there are a few people here who are openly critical, sometimes to the point of seeming hostility.
Gee, add my name to that description and that would make a good dictionary entry ;-)
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:
Then take some aspirin and rest until the fever goes away and you feel more like yourself again.
Yeah, aspirin is nice, but it's not nearly as tasty as beer.

Chris
:lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

peeplj wrote:Christ is one of the nicest and best here.
All right, James, I think this belongs in the Easter thread. :D
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Two opinions Joanie;

1. New age music is a snore-fest no matter who plays it.

2. The whistle sounds very cool with African rhythms. Frank Cassidy did some wonderful stuff on his "Tin Air" CD with kalimbas etc.

Whistle would also sound good with latin rythms/themes. Brazilian music would be hot with a whistle. Also the Inca (Peru/Bolivia) music tradition has some very wonderful whistle-appropriate folk music.

Some kind of a multi-cultural folk CD would be great.

Whatever you do let me know and I'll buy it. :)

Cheers,

Doc
glauber

Post by glauber »

Doc Jones wrote:Brazilian music would be hot with a whistle.
Yeah, but it's too chromatic for comfort.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

peeplj wrote:There are people here who are arrogant and there are a few people here who are openly critical, sometimes to the point of seeming hostility. Chris is neither.
Yes, it's true. If you like pure-drop Irish trad and say so you have to be prepared to put up with arrogance, criticism and seeming hostility on chiff & fipple.
/Bloomfield
glauber

Post by glauber »

And then there are the blabbering idiots too. :D

All kinds. Even 2 or 3 people who actually play whistle. :boggle:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

hello!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Hi there Chris,

I just got word about the things that are being said in this thread. My student Barb has a real passion for new age music! She's also a really good student of mine. I have to say that Barb did not mean any harm toward's you or trad. lovers out there. We all have our views.

Fortunately, I do have some folks out there that do appreciate my music and will at times stand up for me. Not a bad thing. It's cool to have friends that you can count on musically or otherwise!

You made a comment as I went back to read this thread. You have not heard my playing? Pls give a listen to some of my sample's if you do not mind! I hope that you'll enjoy it Chris. Thank You kindly!!

P.S. Your wonderful Mom sent me an email last week and said that she really loved my sample's! She asked me if you have ever heard me play? I mentioned that I'm not to sure but I did enjoy "your" whistling on her cd. Also, Her voice is a marvel to listen too! She is really fantastic!

Keep up the good work, Chris! Talbert St.Claire
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
mcbob

Post by mcbob »

I ,for one ,can appreciate a well played whistle in any style of music. I may not like the style, but the whistler's ability can usually help me overlook other things about the music I may not like. Sorta like pulling a few choice lines from a poem, they stand on their own.....

As for what sort of CD to put out, count me in on anything that sounds like it has been recorded live in a kitchen (just unplug the phone first)
I just want to close my eyes and be there...not in a concert hall.
" No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in" Bono
Bloomfield

Re: hello!

Post by Bloomfield »

talbert st.claire wrote:Hi there Chris,

I just got word about the things that are being said in this thread. My student Barb has a real passion for new age music! She's also a really good student of mine. I have to say that Barb did not mean any harm toward's you or trad. lovers out there. We all have our views.

Fortunately, I do have some folks out there that do appreciate my music and will at times stand up for me. Not a bad thing. It's cool to have friends that you can count on musically or otherwise!

You made a comment as I went back to read this thread. You have not heard my playing? Pls give a listen to some of my sample's if you do not mind! I hope that you'll enjoy it Chris. Thank You kindly!!

P.S. Your wonderful Mom sent me an email last week and said that she really loved my sample's! She asked me if you have ever heard me play? I mentioned that I'm not to sure but I did enjoy "your" whistling on her cd. Also, Her voice is a marvel to listen too! She is really fantastic!

Keep up the good work, Chris! Talbert St.Claire
did you write this post yourself, Talbert? It just somehow doesn't look like one of your posts. ;)
/Bloomfield
Azalin

Re: hello!

Post by Azalin »

Bloomfield wrote: did you write this post yourself, Talbert? It just somehow doesn't look like one of your posts. ;)
Yeah, there's something fishy about this whole Talbert/Barb/Spillane thing, just can't figure it out :-) I mean, is it just me? Maybe I'm just a conspiracy theory guy.