i dont know what to think

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TinWhistlinFool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

i dont know what to think

Post by TinWhistlinFool »

i dont know what to think... for every person who doesnt like the dixon high D, theres another who loves it... is it worth trying it for 30$? :x
boy
Boo

Post by Boo »

I had a Dixon D with a brass tuning slide and really liked it. No tuning problems, had a nice, relatively quiet and slightly chiffy character, easy to play, very forgiving (I couldn't get it to squawk if I wanted to), and all around good whistle. I sold it after a while because I played my Burkes more often.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.
andreaz54

Post by andreaz54 »

I currently have a non-tunable Dixon High D, a tuneable High D and just today I ordered an Aluminum High D from Tony's site!

I love the Dixon High D! (can ya tell?) I find them to be very dependable whistles that you can count on. Mine always sound great, they don't clog, and they are really sturdy so you don't freak out about taking them somewhere. My non-tuneable is sitting here on my computer table cuz I was playing it this morning while waiting to go to Easter Mass!

The funny thing about this particular whistle (the non-tuneable) is that it is slightly off set. The mouthpiece is not exactly in line with the holes. It is slight, but it is there and it is, I guess, defective. But I never bothered sending it back for another cuz it sounds so darn good!

If you are thinking about a Dixon I would say go ahead with no worries!
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

The tunable Dixon D (without the brass tuning slide) was my first whistle, and I liked it quite well at first, in spite of some tuning problems that were corrected somewhat by tuning the first octave D to standard pitch. (It still tends to drop 20-30 cents going from the E to the F#, no matter how I approach it.)

However, I did have problems keeping it in the second octave. Now I find that I can't put a lot of push into a first octave note, either, compared to my other D whistles (Burke aluminum, Busman bloodwood, Whitecap Feadog, tweaked Clarke original).

Basically, it's not as balanced across octaves as any of my others. It reqires extra push in the upper octave, and can't take much in the lower.

This is a big deal for me, as I spend most of my time on slow airs, blues, and similar materials. However, I've recently found that it works quite well on somewhat faster, more dynamically balanced tunes, like "Boys of Bluehill", "Trallee Gaol", "The Rights of Man", "Over the Waterfall", and "Ryan's Slip Jig", and it may even be easier to play that kind of tune on than some of my others. For the past month or two, I've only played it out of a sense of guilt, but now I may reserve my faster tunes for the Dixon.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Here's what my nontunable Dixon high D sounds like:

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/contradixon.mp3

Whether or not I enjoy playing it I leave as an exercise for the reader. :D

--James
TinWhistlinFool

thanks

thanks peep, sounds good to me, but what do i know. thanks all
boy
TinWhistlinFool

umm..

since you have that website an all... *stirs foot on the ground* could there by any chance be a way i could hear the susato D? :roll:
boy
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I love my Dixon, fwiw.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
hellbound skunk

Post by hellbound skunk »

don't think!
throw soup on you and wallow in scalding pain as you die until you are dead! big heavy thing falls on body, entrails fly.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Susato D, comin' right up. :)

This is the SB (not the VSB) tunable model.

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/ryegrass_susato.mp3

--James
TinWhistlinFool

m

thank you kindly
boy
DebbieM
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by DebbieM »

If you are trying to decide between Dixon and Susato, I have a couple of observations to add: The Susato takes a bit more air than the Dixon and plays louder -- excellent for playing and being heard in public. The Dixon's air requirement is very low. It is quieter, thus making a better practice whistle, or a good whistle for sweeter, gentler music pieces. I personally like both because of the different ways I can use each. Another point to mention: The Dixon's fipple tends to clog more with moisture than the Susato, but it is easily blown out by taking time to put a finger over the window and blowing forcefully. They are both great whistles.

Debbie
lyndamic

Post by lyndamic »

I really love my Dixon tunable. Prior to getting it I had only played the very inexpensive whistles. I found tweaking to be a challenge, and the Dixon seemed to solve all my problems. But, since I've never tried any of the high end whistles, I can't make comparisons there. I have a tunable and a non-tunable, strangely the non-tunable is much better in the upper register.
Good luck!
peeplj

Re: m

Post by peeplj »

TinWhistlinFool wrote:thank you kindly
You are most welcome! :)

--James