From Joanie Madden

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Hi, Joanie!

You know how I feel about you. It doesn't really matter to me what kind of album you do - you can rest assured it will end up in my collection!

I remember that fateful night I heard you playing "The Waves of Kilkee". Now I have WhOA, and it's all your fault! :lol: Thank you, thank you, thank you! :) :)

Please take care, and I'll see you in Winfield!

Lots of love, (((Joanie)))
Jim
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Hi, Joanie.

The last time I met you was a while ago. You were playing at the last Washington DC Irish Festival. After the concert you signed some CD's, and when they ran out of the CD I wanted, you reached into your back pack and gave me your own copy, signed of course.

I was struct during your concert and afterwards by the generousity of your life. The joy you found in sharing the music.

So my suggestion is simple.

Sit and find those tunes YOU need to play. Those that need expressed and shared. Play those tunes how you need to: solo, duet, small group, or orchestra.

Sharing the things,
that the music touches inside you,
will ever bring delight,
to those who hear.

Make a CD of tunes that share how you ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

My vote is for the pure trad kitchen session. Particularly of tunes that are special to you.

I've gotta tell you that last May, when my newborn grandaughter was in the infant ICU, one of my CTL cds was the favorite of both the nurses and my grandaughter. For 15 days she and I rocked and danced and slept to these tunes. At 11 mos. she still likes to dance to this cd! (I'm trying to start her early you know.....)

Wow, I still can't believe you actually asked our opinion!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
meir

Post by meir »

clearly time for an amazing whistle bluegrass album

meir
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

Hi Joanie, I like traditional as well, so there's my vote.

I was wondering (as a drummer/whistler) if you could invite a bodhran to accompany just a few.... maybe 4 or 5 tunes. With several different drummers. If you're ever in Colorado, SwallowHill Music Center would love to host a performance. http://www.swallowhill.com/

Many thanks!@

Charlie.
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

I would vote trad, but I'm one of the newbs, so I'm not sure what all else is out there.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

BrassBlower wrote:...
I remember that fateful night I heard you playing "The Waves of Kilkee". Now I have WhOA, and it's all your fault! :lol: Thank you, thank you, thank you! :) :)
Lots of love, (((Joanie)))
Jim
For those that have not had the pleasure:
http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/ ... esults.cfm

Search for "cherish," as in "Cherish the Ladies." The March 17, 2000 concert is mostly Irish Traditional music. At about the 37 minute mark, Joanie Madden performs an original whistle tune, "The Waves of Kilkee." Spectacular. Audio is worthwhile even with my dialup connection and my five year old computer. For those who just want to hear the whistle song, click on the time indicator meter at the bottom of the window to skip ahead in the program. It takes about two minutes to start streaming the music but it is well worth the time. Real Player software required.

Enjoy.
+ Bill
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

As a newbie, here & playing whistle -- I would like to cast a vote for a 2 CD set of what ever you 'feel the 'need' to play. This would give me more Joanie Madden CD's to enjoy! I think Cherish The Ladies will be in Springfield, Ohio this summer. That's a 3-hour drive I am definitely going to make!

(Mack Hoover's idea sounds fantastic -- can I be a 'fly' on the kitchen wall if that happens?) :)

PS - Thanks, BillChin, for the link! You're right ... even with dialup access it's great.
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

I've been out of pocket for a few days so I'm five pages late. No need for a vote recount. The whistlers want Trad. I vote with Mack Hoover's suggestion, but you know most of us will buy it if you record it.
Numex

Post by Numex »

Joanie--- I was lucky enough to hear you give a performance a couple of years ago in Tucson. You were accompanied by a faculty harpist from the U of A. She was very good and the combination, I thought, really highlighted and featured your whistle and flute playing. I love CTL too, but I really enjoyed this abovementioned performance, as I was really able to hear your playing, as it was put to the forefront :) in this instance.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: From Joanie Madden

Post by IDAwHOa »

brewerpaul wrote:
ctladies wrote:Hi everyone,
Another Song of the Irish whistle - or a rip roaring trad album - the live chat whistlers were leaning towards a 1/2 and 1/2. If you feel like sharing your opinion, let me know what the verdict is!!

Thanks a million and keep whistling!!
Joanie :party:
Hey Joanie-- nice to see you here!
Feeling ambitious? How about a 2 CD set: The Two Sides of Joanie Madden, or some such.. One disc pure trad, minimally "produced"-- just sit the gang down and play some old favorites and some lesser known session tunes. The other CD could be an avenue to explore other directions: orchestra, unusual percussion, guest musicians, etc. Best of both worlds, IMHO.
I'm looking forward to seeing you on the 17th at the Comhaltas thingie!
I would buy this CD in a heartbeat!!!!!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
morgan

Post by morgan »

Joanie,

Like all artists, you must be yourself.

But the chiffers here are right--no synths and echoes and other pop tricks. It only cheapens the real stuff.

A LIVE IN THE KITCHEN album would be a blast. But if you want to introduce new instruments, make sure you have a good orchestrator (such as myself--I teach it at university HINT HINT) or it will come out sounding like a Pepsi commercial.

But we'll buy it no matter what. It's a family thing.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

morgan wrote:Joanie,

Like all artists, you must be yourself.

But the chiffers here are right--no synths and echoes and other pop tricks. It only cheapens the real stuff.
You mean no surf/spy/spaghetti western type theme? Naaah, we'll let Phil do that one! :D
morgan wrote:A LIVE IN THE KITCHEN album would be a blast.
Thirty minutes in the kitchen playing music, then three hours in the same kitchen eating Irish nachos and telling tall tales. Isn't that what trad is all about? :wink:
morgan wrote: But if you want to introduce new instruments, make sure you have a good orchestrator (such as myself--I teach it at university HINT HINT) or it will come out sounding like a Pepsi commercial.
:lol:
morgan wrote:But we'll buy it no matter what. It's a family thing.
ABSOLUTELY!! :) :) :)
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'm skewing the kitchen/rockin'/trad direction (I'm a sucker for whistle and bodhrahn, even), but mostly I'm about whatever brings you joy. As you well know, it'll show in the music. Thanks, Joanie .... and whatever you do, have a ball! Best to you!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
pizak

My pennyworth

Post by pizak »

Joanie

I love the combination of stuff you put on your existing two albums. But the idea of a double CD - half trad and half more innovative seems perfect. I'd happily pay for that.

Paul