From Joanie Madden

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lyrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lyrick »

Joanie, you must have read my mind. (And maybe others, too, judging from lots of the posts here). Last week while I was running I thought, "Gosh, I wish Joanie Madden would do a totally trad CD. That would be so cool. I wish I could tell her that." All acoustic, no synthesizers, simple arrangements, a mixture of jigs, reels, hornpipes, etc. Realistically, it may not sell as much as some of the more arranged music you do, but please, at least once in your life, do something completely traditional that's a throwback to the roots of the music.

(Greetings all, I'm a new whistler that's been lurking here for a long time waiting for something that was worth posting about. I couldn't stay silent this time).
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling Joanie has already given much back to the Tradition, both alone and with CTL.

I'd love a trad album from her! But I don't think this should be looked at as any kind of debt she owes and must pay. The lady's already paid her dues.

--James
Ailin
antispam: No

Post by Ailin »

Hi Joanie,
My vote is definitely for Rip Roaring Trad all the way. Even better if you can get some uilleann pipes in with the whistle or flute on a few tracks! :party:

You gals were great once again here in Rochester at Nazareth College last month by the way!

Ailin
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I would vote for traditional dance tunes, with maybe an air leading off a set or two just for variety. And nothing that's copyrighted, so we can go look them up if we need to. And maybe something by Jack Carroll.

And no singing.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Norma

Post by Norma »

I'm with Mack, traditional and live! Love to hear some fiddles and stompin' feet
adriancarrington

Post by adriancarrington »

Hi Joanie,

First of all, many thanks for the wonderful work you have already produced. I for one have really enjoyed your music.
For the next album, I'm rather drawn to Mack Hoover's idea of a kitchen session style of album. The idea of drawing tunes from your personal roots appeals to me far more than a straightforward IR Trad "greatest hits" approach.
Meanwhile, I'm sure an orchestral style album would be worthwhile arising from a musician of your calibre; though heaven knows what it would do for your production costs!!!
Whatever you choose, I'll be eagerly awaiting the result.

Best wishes, Adrian
oleorezinator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

rip + roar like only you can joanie. how 'bout a tin whistle orchestra? and please, NO bass or percussion if it's not bodhran or bones. [unless you can get dave mattacks and dave pegg from fairport] let it rip baby!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
chef Paul

Post by chef Paul »

Hi Joanie!!

Thanks for asking!

You blew my mind when I first heard your take on "Murphy's Reel (track #2 of the first Joanie "whistle" disc for those who may be wondering.)

I'd like to concur with all the previous posters who'd like to hear more of that kind of "minemal production" with rip roaring, blazin' whistle in the pure drop tradition. A couple of airs thrown would be appropriate for sure as well.

Someone also posted about maybe a Joanie Madden with Mary Bergin disc. WOW! Now wouldn't that be something. Maloney and Potts did it so why not Madden and Bergin, sort of has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Were all looking forward to whatever it is you do. Paul
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Geez, this bunch will never agree on anything.

To answer your question, Joanie, just release one - anything you play is marvelous. I will buy it, and so will most of these opinionated folks. Personally, what I most love about your personal style is the smooth, wonerfully musical flow - you make it sound so much easier than we all know it really is.

One thing I'd love to see you do SOMEDAY, not necessarily immediately, is a CD where you get together individually with other masters, not just from IRTRAD but any folks YOU particularly like. Any instruments, singers, whatever. Just for example, I'd give plenty to hear your whistle or flute going head to head with James Galway or a fiddler like Eileen Ivers or Allison Krauss.

But, not to pour on the hero worship too thick, play whatever you want - we'll love it.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Trad, or whatever, but trad! :)

And like mentioned: no reverb, echo, or other effects...

Pure whistle!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi Joanie,

I'm pretty much into the traditional stuff, but I think that if you've thought of doing the non-traditional CD with the orchestra then you really should go ahead and make it. I'll bet it would be fantastic. I believe that if something like that comes to one's mind then they are kind of responsible for bringing it into existence. Does that make sense? It's like when you visualize it, it is meant to be. So by all means do it. But, this talk about a double CD sounds doubly great. I love Mack's idea about the all trad kitchen session album. You could have a bunch of friends over to where ever you record it and get the sounds of glasses clinking around and all that with conversations between rip roaring trad songs. It would be the best of both worlds.
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Cooper

Post by Jon Cooper »

Last edited by Jon Cooper on Thu May 05, 2005 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm leaning toward the trad front...a nice mixture of jigs, reels, hornpipes and slow airs would be lovely.

BTW, "Song of the Irish Whistle" has the number one slot in my CD changer these days. It's really lovely to hear the whistle used as a featured instrument. I sometimes play it (the CD) for my classically oriented friends and say "See? That's what this little instrument can do in the hands of a really talented musician...so don't let me hear any more cracks about my 'toy flutes'!" :D

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

hello Joanie!

My vote is for pure drop trad please.

Also I'd love to hear 1/2 the tracks with your flute soloing nice
and clear in the mix.

But you know what. The important thing is to do what feels the
most right to you. You're the one who's going to do all the work
after all!

Best, Lesl
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Hi again Joanie,

I haven't had any "close face" time with you (it would have taken elbows of steel to get close to you when I saw you at Elkins), but I have been doing more thinking about this after remembering watching you and Jerry O.
chef Paul wrote:Someone also posted about maybe a Joanie Madden with Mary Bergin disc. WOW! Now wouldn't that be something
That was me and I was just thinking some absolute whistlemania. Half you and possibly other instruments and half folks you bounce off of well with whistles. Posible combos that I have been imagining in addition of Mary Bergin:

Joanie Madden/Jerry OSullivan, Joanie Madden/Vinnie Kilduff, Joanie Madden/anybody else that plays cool whistle.

I want some tracks with the Clarke original design too. You must like them as well as the Generations as they are the best cheap whistle I have ever put lips to (after a few drops of cinnamin oil on that nasty wood), right??