From Joanie Madden

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Talbert St. Claire
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

cd!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

New-Age all the way!

Hey Joanie it's me, Tal. :wink:
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
rkottke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rkottke »

The traditional slow airs please. They are what brought me to love Irish music.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I like the 2 disc set idea. If not, IrTrad but include some slow airs. The version of Roisin Dubh on Song of the Irish whistle is one of my favorites. BTW leave out the "effects". I want to hear you play not some technicians processing opinion of how you should sound. Hope to see you somewhere this summer.

Ron
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Rip-roaring trad! And I'd particularly like it if the tunes were ones that came from the great players you learned from. You know, not the all-too-familiar stuff, but dance tunes that mean something to you because you learned them from your dad or Andy McGann or whoever. Requires good liner notes, too. :)
Last edited by Bloomfield on Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

Hi Joanie! :D

I vote for kind of a mix, but I sure would like to hear you rip-it-up on some trad tunes if I was forced into a corner. Kinda hard to beat in a pinch.

I agree though... if you can talk the powers that be into it... a 2-disc release "for everyone" would be nice! Rip it up on one, Mix it up on the other! :lol:

Sorry I missed out on the chat! :sniffle:

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
Steven

Post by Steven »

I agree with most of the people who have already responded. You've already done Song of the Irish Whistle, and done it well. I would love to hear you tear into some trad on a solo CD. Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun! Please do come back here to update us on the progress so we know when to get it.

:-)
Steven
DanTheWhistleMan

Post by DanTheWhistleMan »

Bloomfield wrote:Rip-roaring trad! And I'd particularly like it if the tunes were ones that came from the great players you learned from. You know, not the all-too-familiar stuff, but dance tunes that mean something to you because you learned them from your dad or Andy McGann or whoever. Requires good liner notes, too. :)
Ditto. Like "The branch Line" by Jack and Charlie Coen, kind of. Good old trad!! :party: :party: :party:
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Trad, I say, but recorded live. There's some extra excitement when you've got an enthusiastic crowd in front of you. Studio albums sometimes sound over-produced.

I'll grant you one slow air, but after I hear it once, I'll probably hit >>| the next time. I much prefer the nimble-fingered jigs and reels.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

DanTheWhistleMan wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Rip-roaring trad! And I'd particularly like it if the tunes were ones that came from the great players you learned from. You know, not the all-too-familiar stuff, but dance tunes that mean something to you because you learned them from your dad or Andy McGann or whoever. Requires good liner notes, too. :)
Ditto. Like "The branch Line" by Jack and Charlie Coen, kind of. Good old trad!! :party: :party: :party:
Yeah, or Brian Conway's CD, First Through the Gate. (It doesn't have to have the "reel-to-reel in the living room" feel of the Branch Line, although I'd like that). But something in the tradition of the great NY Irish musicians would be wonderful. And you did learn from Jack Coen, so tracing that, and the NY music scene at the time, would be great.
/Bloomfield
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

I'd love to see a trad album, although I'd be happy either way! ;)

A.J.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

1 more vote for pure trad record.
starman

Joanie's next CD?

Post by starman »

I vote for trad. I have both Song of the Irish Whistle 1&2 and love them both. When I buy whistle music, I want to hear your whistle and maybe some back up by a few traditional Irish instruments. For me a mix of slow airs, jigs, and reels would be good. I like the slow airs because I'm not good enough to play anything fast :oops:

Good luck in your effort.

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Play everything faster than everything else.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
whistlebinkie

Post by whistlebinkie »

Hello Joanie,

My vote would be for a pure drop traditional CD with acoustic instruments,
(no synthesizers) kinda "old timey" production and art direction.

Thanks for all the great music over the years!

Scott
starman

Post by starman »

p.s. Joanie,

When you decide what kind of CD to make, why don't you ask us for a vote on what particular pieces we'd like to hear on it?

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein