Whistle AND recorder??? For beginner?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Wish I had a tenor recorder. I'm curious whether you could piper grip it. Boy, that would freak out the old consort I used to play in.
Hmm. Seems like I was in the market for one befor I bought all these whistles......
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

Tenor Recorders are great to play (very satisfying sound,I think,for Low Whistle orientated people).Alto is o.k-it has the 'best' repetoire,Bass I'm keen to try.
Descant/Soprano is Cack, IMHO.
I'm also interested in Sopranino,and,should I ever acquire a Canary,a Garklein would come in handy!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
meir

Post by meir »

almost all pipers play whistle and switch between the 2 instruments. the fingering is not identical. most people manage.
if i was to learn both recorder and whistle, though, i would not give them equal time. choose one to really work hard on and a second to play around. eventually you will get around to excelling on both.

meir
BillG

Post by BillG »

[quote="vomitbunny"]Wish I had a tenor recorder. I'm curious whether you could piper grip it. . . .quote]

The tenor is a bash to play and I do use Piper grip - mostly. Still have to play around the pinky for two hole coverage - and don't forget the thumb hole. Lots of satisfaction with it, though. Low C is not the easiest note on it - like Low D on some whistles.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Get a 'cheapo' like the Yamaha 302B,it's as good as wooden instruments costing loads more.Tuning is spot on(trust me,Ive got one).Of course it does'nt have the 'warmth' of a wooden instrument-but I would bet that it would see you for several years.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

kevin m. wrote:Get a 'cheapo' like the Yamaha 302B,it's as good as wooden instruments costing loads more.Tuning is spot on(trust me,Ive got one).Of course it does'nt have the 'warmth' of a wooden instrument-but I would bet that it would see you for several years.
I'll second that recommendation. The Yamaha tenors are really superb instruments for $70ish dollars. I've played in a semi-pro baroque ensemble for several years (semi-pro means we've actually gotten paid for several of our gigs) and the Yamaha is what I use. You can get cheap wooden tenors, but they are pretty cruddy. Good ones are VERY expensive.
You can remove the plasticky sheen of the Yamaha with some 0000 steel wool and the result looks surprisingly like ebony and ivory. Feels nicer too. E-mail me for more complete instructions (not PM please).
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

brewerpaul wrote: You can remove the plasticky sheen of the Yamaha with some 0000 steel wool and the result looks surprisingly like ebony and ivory. Feels nicer too. E-mail me for more complete instructions (not PM please).
I recall reading on the Yahoo! Recorder message board,of a fellow that took his new Plastic Recorder to his Recorder group night,and was derided by several musical snobs.
So,he did the steel wool trick and returned next week to find that the same people complemented him on his 'new' Ebony Recorder with it's great sound! :lol:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I think whether you find it difficult depends on odd differences of temperament that we wouldn't be able to predict. I play over a dozen instruments, but I don't find that picking up a new instrument feels like starting all over again. Instruments seem to me to fall into categories and once you get the hang of picking up new ones it isn't confusing.

My first instrument is guitar and I play regularly in about six different tunings. Moving from guitar to mandolin and bouzouki was a bit like learning a couple of new tunings as regards left hand technique. Right hand technique is different but not in ways that should be confusing. Saxes, flutes of different systems, whistles and recorders pose similar problems but so much carries over that that I think, with each, it's a huge advantage to have prior experience on another instrument in the group.

Some people, though, really dislike playing similar instruments because they do like to get the muscle memory fully predictable and regular. Those people would pick one tuning for guitar and stick to it.

It doesn't matter which kind of person you are so long as you enjoy your music.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I have an Aulos tenor recorder that's pretty good; don't know how it compares to the Yamaha, but it's in about the same price range.

Though I've tried piper's grip on it (and it works) I don't find it particularly hard to play with the pads-of-the-fingers technique I use for smaller whistles and recorders (easier than my Dixon low D whistle, which I can also play that way). Low C is not the easiest note, but requires less precise breath control than low D on the Dixon.

I agree with Kevin that the Alto recorder has the best repetoire, and (to my ear) the best sound. Of course, my current favorite whistle is a low F - there's just something magical about that range.