favorite low whistle CDs?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

favorite low whistle CDs?

Post by blackhawk »

I have four faves:

Two by Eoin Duignan: Coumineol, and Ancient Rite

Up South, by Fred Morrison

Troublesome Things, by Brendan Ring.

All of these have piping on them as well, but all four offer some great low whistle tracks. Other artists like Lunasa and Joe McKenna do great low whistling, too, but these four are my personal favorites. Anyone else know of other good CDs of this type?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Well, I haven't heard the CDs you've mentioned. But I'm sat listening to Phil Hardy's "Whistleworks" CD (which he sent me foc) and I have to say that his arrangement of "King of the Pipers" on that disk is the dog's danglies.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
barbprimrose

Best Low Whistle cd!

Post by barbprimrose »

Talbert St.Claire's-"Tears Of The Forest" is definitely One of the best Slow-Air cd's out there. I have not heard too many players captivate such a mystical sound as Talbert. In the new age catagory it tops my list of the best of the best! :boggle: -Thanks, Barb
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

1. Anything by Phil Hardy.
2. Anything with Michael McGoldrick.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Other than hearing clips posted here and there I only have the PH "Whistleworks" and the download "Low Whistle."

Although these are not ITM the arrangements are very nice to listen to. The "Low Whistle" download from his site has quite a variety on it. You WILL need high speed to download it though or start it before you go to work!!!!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I haven't heard any of your faves yet Blackhawk. Thanks for the pointer. I've had my eye on Brendan Ring for a while now though.

I find the Joe McKenna recording disappointing; very competent but somehow lacking that little bit of magic we look for.

Off hand, I really like the first two Solas albums; that Copeland low D knocks me out. Like a lot of people, I generally prefer low and high whistle in combination with other instruments or alternating with other instruments.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Blackhawk,

Brendan's CD is something, isn't it? :o :boggle: :lol:

Another couple of excellent low whistle recordings are Hevia's first, can't recall the title, and Eamonn Dillon's "Storm the Kettle". I know I have some other faves, but many of my CD's are boxed up and I can't remember what else I've got.

McGoldrick's Fused has some great tracks.

Loren
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Best Low Whistle cd!

Post by brewerpaul »

barbprimrose wrote:Talbert St.Claire's-"Tears Of The Forest" is definitely One of the best Slow-Air cd's out there. I have not heard too many players captivate such a mystical sound as Talbert. In the new age catagory it tops my list of the best of the best! :boggle: -Thanks, Barb
I have Tears of the Forest and like it quite a lot too. This is definitely more of a new agey thing, rather than Celtic. Tracks are fairly long and slow--not my cup of tea for just plain listening, but for relaxing or meditation, this is a terrific CD. The playing is very nice, with little unexpected ornaments and interesting accompaniaments.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Wombat wrote: I find the Joe McKenna recording disappointing; very competent but somehow lacking that little bit of magic we look for.
Yeah, it left me cold, too, although his playing is excellent. I think it's the choice of tunes. They just aren't ones I enjoy.
Off hand, I really like the first two Solas albums; that Copeland low D knocks me out. Like a lot of people, I generally prefer low and high whistle in combination with other instruments or alternating with other instruments.
Ah, Solas! That's what I was looking for...new recommendations for CDs with the low whistle. Thanks, Wombat! :)

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Loren wrote:Blackhawk,

Brendan's CD is something, isn't it? :o :boggle: :lol:
Yeah, he's incredible! I wish he'd come out with another CD with lots of low whistle on it.
Another couple of excellent low whistle recordings are Hevia's first, can't recall the title, and Eamonn Dillon's "Storm the Kettle".
You're right, it's excellent. I bought that on your recommendation and was glad I did.
That's what I needed, another recommendation! Thanks, Loren!

--Plato
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Loren wrote:

Loren

that's for sure bud. ;-)
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I want to add two more CDs to the list. First is Cormac Breatnach's Musical Journey. Roughly half the tracks feature him playing on Overton low F and the other half he's playing an O'Briain low D and there are a couple of tracks with a Susato C. This CD is as good as Fused by McGoldrick.

The other one is Drifting Through the Hazel Woods by Declan Masterson. It's all low whistle, kinda new agey, but nothing like Talbert's in any way.

Both of these are good choices for low whistle CDs with no piping.

--Plato
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Cormac Breatnach's 'music for whistle and guitar'( with Martin Dunlea),mostly features Overton low 'F' in a series of Jazzy duets,inc a take on 'The Foggy Dew'which is perhaps the highlight track.
Certainly,it isn't 'Pure drop',but it has plenty of interesting playing if your in the mood for that sort of 'crossover' stuff.
It seems to have a bit more spark to it than the Joe McKenna album,which I bought with great expectations too.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

kevin m. wrote:Cormac Breatnach's 'music for whistle and guitar'( with Martin Dunlea),mostly features Overton low 'F' in a series of Jazzy duets,inc a take on 'The Foggy Dew'which is perhaps the highlight track.
Certainly,it isn't 'Pure drop',but it has plenty of interesting playing if your in the mood for that sort of 'crossover' stuff.
I didn't get that one because I thought it was some kind of tutorial. Not true, Kevin?

--Plato
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

It occurs to me than you can hear samples of many of the CD's quoted above on Kerry whistles site. Click on any miniature of the album covers, then click the "play sample" button.
http://www.kerrywhistles.com/music.php
Better have broadband...
It's true: I read it on Internet.