uillean and GHB

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

marcpipes wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:this is the UILLEANN pipe forum. oe so i'm told.
Then feel free to contribute usefull knowledge or information about the Uilleann Pipes. To date; looking through your previous posts in the forum, you seem not to have done so while prefering stir the pot or to fling poo like an errant chimp.
Marc
danke schoen mein direktor. please feel free to ask any question. if my 25 year experience of uilleann pipering can weigh in , or clarify a topic i will be glad to comment. otherwise i will defer to the experts. o.k. ?
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Iain MacDonald
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sad truth about GHB

Post by Iain MacDonald »

The sad truth is that in the GHB world, there is a long-standing tolerance for bad playing in public, to the point where many people (even accomplished musicians in other disciplines) don't really know what a good bagpipe/piper sounds like.

The pipers and bands that are most frequently heard in public are the least accomplished (in general), and this is what forms people's notions of bagpipes.

The UP world—devoid of kilts, marching and the like—perhaps doesn't attract the noisy, exhibitionist, gotta-get-into-a-parade types that the GHB world does.

I have played the GHB since 1965, and been trying to play UP since 1983. I think I'm qualified to say that some of the stereotypes of GHB are—sadly—true for many, but NOT all.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

oleorezinator wrote:
marcpipes wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:this is the UILLEANN pipe forum. oe so i'm told.
To date; looking through your previous posts in the forum, you seem not to have done so
danke schoen mein direktor. please feel free to ask any question. if my 25 year experience of uilleann pipering can weigh in , or clarify a topic i will be glad to comment. otherwise i will defer to the experts. o.k. ?
So will I.
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Looks like these two will have to be kept separated, or sedated...speaking of which, I think I hear a pint calling me......
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Looks like these two will have to be kept separated, or sedated...speaking of which, I think I hear a pint calling me......
:lol: A pint sounds the best plan. :lol:
Marc
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
Joseph E. Smith

If you get this round, I'll take care of the next...uh...I'll have a Guinness please...thanks. :D
Royce

Post by Royce »

djm wrote:Royce, these are some excellent points, but you also highlight another aspect as to how we regard pipes. You keep referring to success in piping as someone making a living at playing them. Maybe that's a perceptual thing, where here, we don't expect to make a living playing pipes. Its something you do because you actually like it - kinda like going to the dentist sometimes, but mostly because you like it. :D

djm
My actual reference was support or appreciation for the instrument in the general population. In an ostensibly capitalistic society the most immediate indicator of public, cultural, or popular support is the ability to get people to actually pay to listen. That cuts two ways, as there is no direct expectation that all those willing to pay to listen are going to fully appreciate all aspects of the performance. On the other hand, when it is not possible to get anyone to support the artists in any fashion no matter how good they may be, it's a good indication how under-appreciated the music and the player is in the society.

Another way to look at the rating of importance would be sheer number of players who pick the instrument up just to play, but that falls into the category of "just because you can afford to have the instrument in your lap it doesn't entitle you to play." The nation may be full of thousands of really really bad players and it doesn't entirely meet the suggestion that this means the music is "valued" in the society.

In the far extreme, you could have thousands and thousands of excellent players so that they become literally, a dime a dozen, and of no particular significance because they can be heard anywhere for nothing. Only those born inherently wealthy, or dedicated "bagpipe bums" who don't have to work "regular" jobs or support themselves will generally become the outstanding players required to truly say a society is supporting the entire range of social, personal, and econimic elements that make it a center of the instrument, its music, and its masters.

Royce
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

oh all ye beleaguered highland pipers! i'm just talkin' bout' cultural icons. hollywood rules. all flash. p.t. barnum. etc. etc. etc. ok how's about all youze guize playin' da "UILLEANNS" tell us yer experiences wit da public reaction to yer axe. "is it some sort of bagpipe?" "where's your kilt?" " i thought you had to blow into those things?" " it's a variation of a bagpipe?" [direct quotes] naw, us guize playin da "UILLEANNS" are never grouped in wit da rest of youze. america is just so totally hip to dis kinda ting. it bing the home of the "UILLEANNS" the nation being strewn with "UILLEANNS" players, crawling pub to pub, festival to festival..... niagra falls!...........slowly i turn.......step by step........inch by inch.........
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
Royce

Post by Royce »

oleorezinator wrote:oh all ye beleaguered highland pipers! i'm just talkin' bout' cultural icons. hollywood rules. all flash. p.t. barnum. etc. etc. etc. ok how's about all youze guize playin' da "UILLEANNS" tell us yer experiences wit da public reaction to yer axe. "is it some sort of bagpipe?" "where's your kilt?" " i thought you had to blow into those things?" " it's a variation of a bagpipe?" [direct quotes] naw, us guize playin da "UILLEANNS" are never grouped in wit da rest of youze. america is just so totally hip to dis kinda ting. it bing the home of the "UILLEANNS" the nation being strewn with "UILLEANNS" players, crawling pub to pub, festival to festival..... niagra falls!...........slowly i turn.......step by step........inch by inch.........
And then the frog said, "Can you tell me how to remove this growth off my arse?"

Royce
Royce

Re: Sad truth about GHB

Post by Royce »

Iain MacDonald wrote:The UP world—devoid of kilts, marching and the like—perhaps doesn't attract the noisy, exhibitionist, gotta-get-into-a-parade types that the GHB world does.

I have played the GHB since 1965, and been trying to play UP since 1983. I think I'm qualified to say that some of the stereotypes of GHB are—sadly—true for many, but NOT all.
Mostly I think, it's an UP world devoid of 500 dollar (or 1500 dollar Canadian...) instruments that allow you to start that with a cheap practice instrument even before that investment. Also devoid of free lessons from two or three bands competing for members, free uniforms, and usually free beer.

Royce
oleorezinator

Post by oleorezinator »

some of you are way too easy to taunt. thank God its not a truely serious subject. drone on you krazy kids!
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
snoogie

Re: Sad truth about GHB

Post by snoogie »

Royce wrote:..... and usually free beer.

Royce
Dang...free beer, maybe I'll have to get a set of Highland pipes too! It might be worth wearing a Kilt if you get free beer. :o
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Wow, 5 pages... this is starting to look like a thread from the whistle forum, i.e. it goes on and on, most attempts at humor result in ruffled feathers, and it isn't really on topic.

Almost brings me back to the old days of RMMB, eh Royce?

Cheers,
Aaron
Albanach

Post by Albanach »

Hey ya new here... Why does everyone rag on the highland pipes ?? As a highland scot and GHB piper I have gotten more pints and (female) phone numbers from this aggravating instrument than I could possibly do on my own.. How many ELBOW pipers have had a woman stick her hand up there kilt and feel around on their bollocks ???

PS I also play the uilleann pipes so don't beat me up too bad !!
Andrew

'S coma leam,'s coma leam cogadh no sith, Marbhar 'sa cogadh, no crochar 'san t-sith mi

It's all the same to me war or peace, I'm killed in the war or hung during peace -- West Highland saying
Joseph E. Smith

A very good question, and I am certain that there are many good (and lousy) answers to it. I play GHB as well and can attested to the "perks" I have received from playing it.

The GHB is what got me into piping, I wanted to learn UP but at that time finding a maker was very difficult and I didn't have vast resources of cash...still don't. I found that the GHB can be very expressive and a great joy to play, and were considerably more versatile than a lot of folks are willing to admit. Instead of playing in a pipe band, I chose playing for Highland Dance as it provided a considerable challenge and helped me to develop better timing. It can be easy to hide behind other pipers, and being naturally lazy, I wanted to avoid hiding....hard to do when you're the only piper piping for dancers.

Eventually, after 20 years or there about, I was able to pick up a reasonably priced half set of UPs, and found that the transition from the GHB was minimal at worst. Though I don't play the GHB as often as I once did, I still break it out every now and then just to keep the 'burl' well oiled and in working condition.

They are two different instruments, that require focus, strength and above all, a fair amount of patience to learn how to play correctly. But both offer a great deal of enjoyment in addition to broadening the mind when it comes to tecnique, tunes and cultural education. Those who are quick to put down either instrument are simply not allowing their brains the benefit of a thorough and intellectual workout...pity.