McGee Larsen-preferred Vs Noy...help wanted.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

McGee Larsen-preferred Vs Noy...help wanted.

Post by Doc Jones »

Ok, I need accidentals. I've been fighting it for a long time. It's not working.

So, I'm in the market for a keyed flute. I've been wracking my brain forever, it seems, on which one to get. The problem is that I live in the boondocks of Idaho and I think I'm the only Irish flute flute player in the whole stinking state. :roll:

It is not possible for me to go to a session and try various models.

So I get to get on a list and cross my fingers.

I'm looking pretty seriously at a Grey Larsen-preferred by McGee. I'm also thinking about a Noy as he is really close to me (only a 13 hour drive...see what I mean? :roll: )

Any thoughts?

Doc

PS: Anyone have either of these flutes (or any other) anywhere near Idaho? Anyone ever heard of Idaho?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Contact them both. Peter Noy will send you a keyed body (specify how many keys) along with a variety of headjoints to try for a couple of weeks so you can decide. Don't know if McGee will do that, but it won't hurt to ask! :)

Peter can be contacted via his website (I just keyword "noy flutes" to get to the site's location; too lazy to do it the easy way, if that makes any sense at all).

Does McGee have a website? Haven't checked.
phcook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by phcook »

Always use Brad's work when you have such a question:
http://www.firescribble.net/flute/makers.html

Best

Philippe
Breizh soner
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Patrick...

Without question, Noy.
~JessieD
glauber

Post by glauber »

Nanohedron wrote:Contact them both. Peter Noy will send you a keyed body (specify how many keys) along with a variety of headjoints to try for a couple of weeks so you can decide. Don't know if McGee will do that, but it won't hurt to ask! :)
This alone would be a great reason to go Noy. And Terry is my friend! :o I say, unless you're a complete beginner, don't buy a flute without trying it first (unless there's really no other way). Can you have 2 unlesses in one sentence?

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com
Great site, by the way, lots of good info there.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Nanohedron wrote:Contact them both. Peter Noy will send you a keyed body (specify how many keys) along with a variety of headjoints to try for a couple of weeks so you can decide. Don't know if McGee will do that, but it won't hurt to ask! :)

You know Nano after reading your review I had the impression that Peter did that sort of thing and was quite excited about the posibility. When I called to ask him about it he didn't seem enthused. Maybe I wasn't communicating well or misunderstood. Did you give him a security deposit or something or does he just know you?

Doc

Oh yeah, and McGee does have a website...best I've seen.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter not seeming enthused doesn't surprise me, although I wonder at the details. Was he out-and-out unwilling? To call him laid-back is handling it with tongs; I often get the impression that either he's paying attention to something else at the same time or has just woken up, and his email correspondence is, shall we say, "relaxed". :lol:

I had to pay shipping and insurance for the units. He's a canny one; none the pieces will match aesthetically, so the unscrupulous among us would be branded with an obviously nicked flute.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Doc,

Call me crazy, but I swear I just saw that Terry had a bunch of "sale" keyed flutes on his website, possibly including a Larsen Preferred. (www.mcgeeflutes.com or something like that, I think?) I suspect they come with return options .... and I think he also has a "Roving Ambassador" flute somewhere you can play ....

Don't know anything about his flutes -- I know eilam had one for a bit -- but if you want to play one it might be worth a look.

Good luck!

cat.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Patrick, you seem to have similar taste in flute embouchure to me. Go with a Noy. Seriously. Even if you can't try it first. I have on order a Noy 8-key boxwood Rudall with modern-cut embouchure on unthinned head.

Peter is not an enthusiastic person, but his design and craftsmanship are superb.

Terry is a wonderfully friendly guy and I like him a great deal.
~JessieD
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

He didn't seem entirely opposed to the idea, just sort of apathetic and fuzzy. :-?

OK, I guess I'll have to call him again. Maybe I can be enthusiastic enough for the both of us. :D
eilam

Post by eilam »

I have a keyed flute by McGee and one on order from Noy.
The McGee blows me away every time I play it, so easy, and huge tone.
By far, my best player, but not necessary the one I like playing the best.
The McGee has a huge embouchure hole, and if I get another flute by him, I would have him make me a smaller embouchure, and a deeper chimney. But that's tricky, he makes them that way because that what works for him.
Noy makes a few deferent heads for his flutes, in fact, I think McGee's and Noy are almost 180 degrees from each other but on the same place as far as professional work, one makes many bodies for the same type head, and one makes one type body basically, but many type's of heads.
easier to try the Noy, then all the models that McGee offers.
Terry did get me a Larsen flute to try (which worked really nice), And with peter the ice broke and we now talk on the phone as friends, so just be persistent.
Peter is shy, And Terry sooner or later could have a Larsen flute for you to try (man - that kind of rhymes! :P )
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Doc Jones wrote:He didn't seem entirely opposed to the idea, just sort of apathetic and fuzzy. :-?
That's it entirely. "Fuzzy" works.

OK, I guess I'll have to call him again. Maybe I can be enthusiastic enough for the both of us. :D
He's friendly enough, if a bit unfocused-seeming. Just hash out with him what you're going for. He'll work with you just fine.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Nanohedron wrote: He's friendly enough, if a bit unfocused-seeming. Just hash out with him what you're going for. He'll work with you just fine.

Oh yeah, he's been very pleasent to talk with and more than willing to answer my other questions. :)

Doc

Has anyone out there played a Larsen by McGee?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Doc,

Mind if I ask why you've narrowed it down to just these two makers? Just curious.

Loren
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Loren,

Three reasons:

1. The Larsen flute has some attributes I think would be apealing to me
- economy of air
- crispness of ornamentation
- strong low end

2. I'd like the thing yesterday and Noy and McGee both have about an 18 mo wait as opposed to 7 years for Pat Olwell.

I'd like to spend less than $2000 for 4 keys.

If you know of anybody else that can crank out a good 4-key quickly for that kind of money or less I'm all ears. :)

Doc