Hi

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Joseph Curwen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hi

Post by Joseph Curwen »

Just thought I would introduce myself. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, (that big cold wasteland up north for you Americans :P ), but am originaly from the Maritimes. I am a M'iqmaq from New Brunswick (though my band is based in Newfoundland, don't ask ..). I have played a traditional Lakota Love flute , and Woodland Spirit flute for several years. The native flutes are both end blown, with 5 holes in the Lakota, and 6 in the Woodlands.
My wife is Scottish, and has recently taken up the highland bagpipe, and in the process bought me a little Walton's Guiness tinwhistle to play around with, and I have to say, that I'm enjoying it immensely. My biggest problem to start with was learning a whole new scale (European diatonic scale), as all of my flutes are traditionally made, meaning that the length of the flutes, and the placement of wholes are dependent upon the length of my arms, and the spacing of my fingers. For those of you not familiar with this, it means essentially that my flutes will not play a European diatonic scale (I can get sort of close, but not quite). It also means that every tradtitionally made flute is different from every other one, quite substantially. I could have bought native flutes keyed to the European scale, but that didn't seem right, and much of the music of my tribe would then be unplayable.
This little Irish flute though has been so much fun, that I've just purchased a Jerry Freeman tuned Shaw in key of D from the Whistleshop, and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival (unfortunately, out of stock, but expect more by the end of the week, fingers crossed), and Och's book "the Clarke TinWhistle Tutor" (or something like that). Hope these are good choices. I've heard nothing but good things about the Freeman tuned whistles both here and at session.org, and I love the look of the Shaw.

anyway, that's my 2.5 cents worth. Sounds like a nice little place here, and I just wanted to say hi

well, and write a bit of a novel but hey you don't have to read it..lol
so anyway...Hi All.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Hi Joseph, and welcome!

Very good choices, I shouldn't worry about those.

Speaking personally, I would worry more about the 'agony bags'. :twisted:

Incidentally, I have a 6-hole NAF (Navajo made). I have no idea what key it's in, but I don't much care. It sounds wonderful, it's timbre quite unlike anything else I have.

Anyway. Welcome again :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Joseph Curwen, lessee, where do I know that name from? :o

Be welcome here, just make sure nobody ever plays whistle in the "descending node"!

--James

"....do not calle up That which you can not put downe; either from dead Saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond. Have ye Wordes for laying at all times readie, and stopp not to be sure when there is any Doubte of Whom you have..." --Simon Orne
Joseph Curwen

Post by Joseph Curwen »

peeplj wrote:
"....do not calle up That which you can not put downe; either from dead Saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond. Have ye Wordes for laying at all times readie, and stopp not to be sure when there is any Doubte of Whom you have..." --Simon Orne
DEESMEES JESHET BONE DOSEFE DUVEMA ENITEMOSS.

...ummmmm oops uhhh sorry got to run!!

lol
Joseph Curwen

Post by Joseph Curwen »

GaryKelly wrote:Hi Joseph, and welcome!

Very good choices, I shouldn't worry about those.

Speaking personally, I would worry more about the 'agony bags'. :twisted:

Incidentally, I have a 6-hole NAF (Navajo made). I have no idea what key it's in, but I don't much care. It sounds wonderful, it's timbre quite unlike anything else I have.

Anyway. Welcome again :)
nice thing about the NAF, is that they sound nice regardless of the key, and they lend themselves very nicely to just sitting and creating quietly. I find playing mine to be very relaxing.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Joseph Curwen wrote:
DEESMEES JESHET BONE DOSEFE DUVEMA ENITEMOSS.

Just what I was thinking...
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think I'm going on a salte-free diet! :D

--James

'The essential Saltes of Animals may be so prepared and preserved, that an ingenious Man may have the whole Ark of Noah in his own Studie, and raise the fine Shape of an Animal out of its Ashes at his Pleasure; and by the lyke Method from the essential Saltes of humane Dust, a Philosopher may, without any criminal Necromancy, call up the Shape of any dead Ancestour from the Dust whereinto his Bodie has been incinerated.'
Borellus

Edited to add a P.S. for anyone who doesn't catch the inside joke here: you should read the novella "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" by H. P. Lovecraft. Also take note: best if read on an empty stomach. :twisted:
Last edited by peeplj on Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Hi Joseph! Welcome to a decidedly different instrument than your NAF.

My NAF was made by a Miami, six-hole 'traditional'...but obviously to HIS arm and hand size, not mine! Still trying to find someone to give proper lessons.

Anyway, enjoy your whistling.....

Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

emmline wrote:
Joseph Curwen wrote: DEESMEES JESHET BONE DOSEFE DUVEMA ENITEMOSS.
Just what I was thinking...
Same here. Well, not exactly:
I first thought it was Stacey from Alba throwing in her phonetic Doric.
Decyphering seemed to work at first:
"Dismiss (/This Miss?) yer shytebone..." worked so far, then I got stuck. :-?

Fortunately, the board saved me with the litterary references, and the full text here on-line (which helps when you live in the sticks of the bogs) : http://www.netropic.org/lovecraft/c_d_ward.html

Good, there's nothing on the tube to-night... :)
Tyghress wrote:My NAF was made by a Miami, six-hole 'traditional'...but obviously to HIS arm and hand size, not mine! Still trying to find someone to give proper lessons.
NA flutes are just great. The cats love it: it radically solved the issue of shriek second octaves. There's just none to speak of.

Now, Tyghress, lessons for what? Stretching your arms and hands?

Otherwise, remember it's a love flute, don't make it a painy whistle... ;)
Why don't you take it to relax after hard work on the whistle? Just tape the 3rd hole from top so you know whatever you toot will work.
As for playing it "pure drop of fire water", y'know, it's like ITM: if you ain't native, forget it ;)
Last edited by Zubivka on Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Nice to have another Ottawan on board. I've found CF incredibly helpful and I'm sure you will too.
Steven

Post by Steven »

peeplj wrote:'The essential Saltes of Animals may be so prepared and preserved, that an ingenious Man may have the whole Ark of Noah in his own Studie, and raise the fine Shape of an Animal out of its Ashes at his Pleasure; and by the lyke Method from the essential Saltes of humane Dust, a Philosopher may, without any criminal Necromancy, call up the Shape of any dead Ancestour from the Dust whereinto his Bodie has been incinerated.'
Borellus
Sounds like he's talking about extracting DNA for the purpose of cloning. Wow, was he ever ahead of his time!!

:lol:
Steven
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward was really one of HPL's finest moments. There was so much more to his writing than Cthulhu. The Dream-quest of Unknown Kadath is another of my favorites, ghouls, ghasts, and all.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Joseph Curwen

Post by Joseph Curwen »

chas wrote:The Case of Charles Dexter Ward was really one of HPL's finest moments. There was so much more to his writing than Cthulhu. The Dream-quest of Unknown Kadath is another of my favorites, ghouls, ghasts, and all.
Sorry, just a poor little HPL freak here lol.
Also loved The Colour Out of Space, At the Mountains of Madness, The Evil Clergyman, Herbert West – Reanimator, The Music of Erich Zann, and Pickman’s Model to rattle off a few of my favorites.

Unfortunately, his writings have been taken down, but at one point, you could get the entire text of every short story he ever wrote at http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/

Thankfully, I've already downloaded those myself, but now they're gone :(

edit:
apparently they're still availible at http://www.netropic.org/lovecraft/ :)
emmline

Post by emmline »

Can't get through it...can't get through it...too ADD...
(or maybe I just skimmed too fast--nothing in there about a sh*t that I could spot.)