Flute addiction...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Grixxly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute addiction...

Post by Grixxly »

All,

I don't know what is wrong with me!!! I am now thinking of selling my Seery as well as my Burn's Folk Flute so that I can order one of Casey's Pratten models in Blackwood with tuning slide and rings...

Does it ever stop?

Tony
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Does it ever stop?
I keep telling myself that it will. :roll:
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

:D :boggle: :D :boggle: :D

NOT!!!!!!!!

Tom
eilam

Post by eilam »

depending on your personality.
for me it never stops, and I've been getting to the point where I can't look at my wife in the eyes for a day or two after the auction closed, and she'd pick up on it, and say: OK, what did you get? and then two weeks later, I confess to Gordon, and even though he assures me that "it's OK" I'm sure he rolls his eyes and shakes his head, why would'nt he? that's what I do!
I really put a lot of the blame on those makers that take so long, and I do all I can to make Peter Noy feel bad with every new flute I buy while I wait, of course sending him my new find for restoration does not help things.
Basically, were screwed.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

My idol, Nancy, said it best back in the 80s..."just say no."

Seriously, then you can be like me - it's been two whole months since I bought a new stick... :wink: At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Eric
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm Charlie and I'm a flutoholic. It started with whistles, then I went onto the hard stuff.

Actually, I have a pretty addictable personality. I bought probably 50-60 whistles over 3 or 4 years. When I decided to start flute, it was because I bought my wife a Thin Weasel that she wasn't really crazy about. The thing is the most beautiful piece of wood I've ever seen, though, so I couldn't let it go. I never got the hang of it, but bought two antiques off ebay and then the Bleazey. Ten months later, the only other flute I've bought is a Copley. Oh, and I've ordered a couple of keyless, and a keyed flute for my wife, and have one of the anitques, a four-key boxwood flute with horrible intonation, off being intoned by John Gallagher. The sound of that baby is perfect, so if it can be brought into tune, it could be a real gem.

So there is hope. Maybe not much. I've already begun unloading whistles, and when all my flutes are in I'm not planning on keeping all of them, but it'll be 1.5 years before I've received them all, and it will take at least a year to determine which I love and which I merely like. A lot can happen between now and then.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Grixxly

Post by Grixxly »

My justification is that if I do what I'm thinking I'll have two keyless, My Hammy and the new Burns. And two keyed, a V. Kohlert and a C. Gerock, an 8 key ebony(?) and 6 key boxwood respectively. I'm sure it's denial, but it seems like that will be good...

Tony
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

If ever you're gonna do rough stuff,
like be a street muscian or whatever,
that Seery can come in handy.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

To add to Jim's comment, I also think the longer you play, the better you get, the Seery suddenly becomes a much better flute than you thought it was...
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Jayhawk wrote:To add to Jim's comment, I also think the longer you play, the better you get, the Seery suddenly becomes a much better flute than you thought it was...
Obsess about playing
and the need to possess much
may become less
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
phcook

Post by phcook »

Very true, Jayhawk.

Just relate it to what D. Migoya says about tone quality.

I add that flutes are things just expensive enough for making us happy when we can buy them, just cheap enough (compared for instance to UP) for feeling we need several: keyed, keyless, etc.

We often need more lessons and less instruments; our money would be more useful!

Philippe

PS: Grixxly! I've same problems! Let's make group therapy!
Breizh soner
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

talasiga wrote: Obsess about playing and the need to possess much
may become less
phcook wrote:We often need more lessons and less instruments; our money would be more useful!
These guys are on the right track. If you took the money used to buy all of these other flutes and whistles and used them to buy Scoiltrad lessons or to go to workshops, you would be much more satisfied with one flute.

The money spent on two flutes could buy you a trip to Willie Week. Or just one flute could get you to Boxwood, Swannanoa, or the myriad of other workshops in North America.

Buying all of these different flutes is fun but you have to ask yourself if you will be satisfied. I've seen too many adults get into hobbies which become more of a collection than a hobby or pastime. Maybe the time and effort put into an art like traditional music is more commitment than a lot of folks can manage with their families and careers so acquiring instruments is easier. One can only speculate.

Cheers,
Aaron
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I would say that when you live where you can't try different flutes easily, this buying and selling of flutes may make sense, as you try to find the flute that fits you best.

Just be careful you don't wind up finding out that the best flute for you was the one you sold two years ago...

By the way, I agree with the comment on the Seery. Getting to know my Hamilton has also given me an entirely new appreciation of the Seery. It's a fine flute in its own right.

--James
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

It doesn't stop. It may take breaks, but it always comes back. There was a time for me (between marriages) when I lost interest in instruments and I thought it was all over. But as soon as I got happy again, the addiction came back. Dan is SO supportive of it. Uh-oh.
~JessieD
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I would add to James's remarks (with which I agree) that some of us are interested in a few different types of music. I'm not going to play Telemann on a Hammy, nor would I play a reel on a small-holed boxwood 19th-century 4-key.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.